JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

Hotels in Tokyo - 08-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if you can guide me towards an affordable, but non-hostel type hotel in Tokyo? Preferably in Shinjuku, Ikebukuro or Shibuya?

Needs to be very clean and have in-room internet. A good view would be great as well.

My budget is $100-$125 a night.

I have stayed at nishi-shinjuku hotel and sunroute hotel before. Do not want to stay there on this trip.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Sunshine City Prince Hotel

there are so many to choose from.... I stayed at the Keio Plaza and the Shinagawa Prince....

Do a search on any of the travel sites, such as Travelocity, Expedia, or Booking.com
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I know of the search sites. There are literally thousands of options. Looking for more personal suggestions is all

Sunshine city is definitely on the list!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-10-2011, 07:53 PM

The Keio Plaza is a bit pricey. It's the oldest high-rise in Nishi-Shinjuku, so expect the rooms to be a bit old, even though they are renovating or have done so already.

The Shinagawa Prince was very convenient since it's right across the street from Shinagawa Station. It's a massive transportation hub and all the Tokaido Shinkansen stop there. The Yamanote Line takes you to Tokyo Station where you can take the Eastern/Northern-running trains to Aomori, Nikko, Sendai, etc. It's a massive hotel with 4 towers and about 5000 rooms. I can't book it until December for my March trip because they won't post their rates until then. I wonder why, since when I went in October 2010, I reserved the hotel in March-7 months prior. I don't know what the delay may be....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2011, 07:53 PM

I would second the Shingawa Prince Hotel. Nice place in a great location (right across from Shinagawa station, a huge transportation hub).

If you want something cheaper (~$80/night) and more "Japanese", but more off the beaten path, there's a ryokan (traditional Japanese inn) near Nippori station called the Katsutarou Annex. They speak English..or at least one of them does. It's still on the Yamanote train line, same as Shinagawa, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro etc. and is in a neat location, though not as convenient as Shinagawa.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)

Last edited by Lonthego : 08-10-2011 at 07:59 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonthego View Post
I would second the Shingawa Prince Hotel. Nice place in a great location (right across from Shinagawa station, a huge transportation hub).
I know, right?!?! It was heaven to be able to leave your hotel room ten minutes prior to the Shinkansen leaving and still making it there with no problem! Sure helped on those really early morning departures!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2011, 08:09 PM

The Shinagawa looks awesome, but seems to be out of budget range. At least compared to the other Prince hotels :/
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxr View Post
The Shinagawa looks awesome, but seems to be out of budget range. At least compared to the other Prince hotels :/
When are you planning on going?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-10-2011, 08:19 PM

November-ish
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-10-2011, 08:25 PM

I thought this one could work.... It's very close to Ueno-Eki, therefore you're able to go anywhere....

Booking.com: Ueno Touganeya Hotel, Tokyo, Japan - 38 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!