JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2011, 11:11 PM

Well, even though the situation has changed, I'll just throw something in in case it helps anyone else.

I thought that it would not just be not recommended, but impossible to stay in a capsule hotel if you had a suitcase. I mean, there's no room in them to put a case right? If the have baggage holding areas, then I'm guessing facilities are bad?

I'd say your girlfriend has made the smart decision, sorry ^^;
Trust me, 2 weeks is a long time while travelling. Especially then if you don't like it, you wont have to stay for too long.

Thread seems to be turning weeaboo-ish now 0_0
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2011, 01:33 AM

I would not recommend this as a long-term option due to certain difficulties which I'll go into in a moment, but if, say, you actually do try to do that capsule hotel thing and get sick of it, I've heard that sometimes love hotels can be a cheap place to spend the night, sometimes. I'm sure you'd have to shop around to find out, though. Fortunately, they're easy to spot - just look for the gaudiest, brightest hotel you can find. The sleaze should also tip you off.

The problem with this option (again, going purely off hearsay) is that the owners usually are for some reason leery about renting a room to just one person - perhaps they think you're just trying to snoop around and take pictures, either for your own "enjoyment" or perhaps as a private investigator or as an attempt at blackmail? I've heard that especially single foreigners may be refused service. However, many of the more modern love hotels apparently have completely automated service, in which case there's no person to stop you from going on up.

Again though, due to the risk of rejection of service, I wouldn't make this your main hotel option. I'm not even sure if they really are cheaper than any other type of hotel. Just tuck this information in the back of your mind as an option you can try in the event that you are sick of wherever you were staying already and just need a place to spend a single night.

Edit: Oh, I see you might be coming with your girlfriend, which would make getting a room in a love hotel a lot easier. Again though, no idea if they really are all that cheap or not . . .

Last edited by Cola : 09-15-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: New information
(#23 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-15-2011, 01:19 PM

How much will it cost you to fly there?

On an average, business hotel will cost you somewhere between 50-75USD a night.

Food, average round 40-50 a day

Transportation - Do you plan on taking the train, taxi or rent a car?????

This should help you calculate how long of a stay you can afford, and not live like an average homeless guy.....

I think 5000 should be good for about 4 weeks.... just my thought....
(#24 (permalink))
Old
phishy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to phishy
09-15-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm figuring 2000 dollars for flight and hotel for 2 weeks...plus 100 dollars a day that im there.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishy View Post
I'm figuring 2000 dollars for flight and hotel for 2 weeks...plus 100 dollars a day that im there.
thats whaty i would normally recommend, but people shot me saying that I should never post "average" because everyone spend differently, so I stopped...

How much is it to fly to Tokyo from NY????
(#26 (permalink))
Old
phishy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to phishy
09-15-2011, 02:13 PM

I dont know what the flight is alone. I just know through expedia for the flight and hotel together it was 2100 dollars.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola View Post
I would not recommend this as a long-term option due to certain difficulties which I'll go into in a moment, but if, say, you actually do try to do that capsule hotel thing and get sick of it, I've heard that sometimes love hotels can be a cheap place to spend the night, sometimes. I'm sure you'd have to shop around to find out, though. Fortunately, they're easy to spot - just look for the gaudiest, brightest hotel you can find. The sleaze should also tip you off.

The problem with this option (again, going purely off hearsay) is that the owners usually are for some reason leery about renting a room to just one person - perhaps they think you're just trying to snoop around and take pictures, either for your own "enjoyment" or perhaps as a private investigator or as an attempt at blackmail? I've heard that especially single foreigners may be refused service. However, many of the more modern love hotels apparently have completely automated service, in which case there's no person to stop you from going on up.

Again though, due to the risk of rejection of service, I wouldn't make this your main hotel option. I'm not even sure if they really are cheaper than any other type of hotel. Just tuck this information in the back of your mind as an option you can try in the event that you are sick of wherever you were staying already and just need a place to spend a single night.

Edit: Oh, I see you might be coming with your girlfriend, which would make getting a room in a love hotel a lot easier. Again though, no idea if they really are all that cheap or not . . .
People don't tend to spend the night alone in Love Hotels because they tend to be much more expensive than business hotels. Also you cannot leave and return at your leisure (you generally aren't given a key, and the door locks behind you). Check out time is early. Not a good plan.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
paulski (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2011, 05:29 PM

thanks again guys fro the advice my gf read all the comments and she is just loving rubbing it in my face that her plan was better than mine lol but ahh well thanks again
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-15-2011, 06:17 PM

I always wonder why everyone wants to stay in a capsule hotel...
They are nowhere even close to the cheapest option. In fact, a lot of the time they are the upper option. They just tend to be in very prime business spots.
There are much much cheaper, spacier, and more convenient options if you are going to be outside of serious business areas. Why stick yourself in a capsule hotel that is where it is to appeal to people on business wanting to be close to their company?

Toyoko Inn and Super Hotel tend to be much better price and service wise.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I always wonder why everyone wants to stay in a capsule hotel...
They are nowhere even close to the cheapest option. In fact, a lot of the time they are the upper option. They just tend to be in very prime business spots.
There are much much cheaper, spacier, and more convenient options if you are going to be outside of serious business areas. Why stick yourself in a capsule hotel that is where it is to appeal to people on business wanting to be close to their company?

Toyoko Inn and Super Hotel tend to be much better price and service wise.
I'm guessing it's because it'a a new and interesting thing for foreigners to experience. But yeah, I agree with you. They're probably good to experience for 1 night so you can say you've done it, but for a long term option and keep wanting to go back... I can see how it looks strange :L

I've never stayed in a capsule hotel, and probably never will. I always carry too much stuff with me ^^;