JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
paulski (Offline)
New to JF

Post how much£££? - 09-14-2011, 07:00 PM

hi all i am planning on going to japan tokyo mainly and i was just curious about how much gbp i would need for a 3 month stay there i was think £5000 as i would be staying in a capsule hotel and eating conviance store food for the entire duration any way any help would be very much welcome thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Please explain why you would want to fly all the way to Tokyo to spend three months living like a homeless person. If you have the money, why not go for three weeks and live like a king?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
paulski (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2011, 07:04 PM

because in 3 months you can experiance much more than in 3 weeks which is what i would like to do and my idea of living like a king is how i just described how i would be living i would ather be in a capsule hotel than a big fancy one am kinda weird like that lol i just wanted to know if £5000 would be enough thats for flights there and back and living costs
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Are there capsule hotels outside the large cities? I don't see the need for them outside of Tokyo or Osaka, which would limit your choice of places to go.... I thought capsule hotels weren't all that cheap compared to some hotels or hostels.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
paulski (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2011, 07:10 PM

well i wouldnt be outside of the big cities i plan on staying in tokyo while am there and i havent really looked into hostels cause i never new that much about them where as a capsule hotel you go in and buy a ticket per night but if hostels are cheaper then that would be even better am hoping that £5000 will be enough if not i will have to delay my trip and save a little bit more before i go
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-14-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulski View Post
because in 3 months you can experiance much more than in 3 weeks which is what i would like to do and my idea of living like a king is how i just described how i would be living i would ather be in a capsule hotel than a big fancy one am kinda weird like that lol i just wanted to know if £5000 would be enough thats for flights there and back and living costs
You will be sick of the capsule hotel in three days.

More time does not mean more experiences, it just means it takes longer. If you have a finite amount of cash there are a finite number of things you can do. Let's say that cash buys you 25 events. Would it not be more economical to experience those events over 25 days? You will drop the number of experiences you can have by just staying there, wasting money on conbini food and capsule hotels (which are not designed for long term stays).

I know people who have tried exactly what you proposing, and what they realize is that without proper planning and organization, boredom, cash stress and homesickness sets in. There is no one in Tokyo looking forward to entertaining you. You could literally sit all day on a bench in Tokyo Station, and no one would look at you twice. And the reality is, after a couple weeks that's probably what you will be doing to pass the time, as you can't afford to do much else.

The people I know who have tried it invariably break down and get their return flights moved up (at sometimes a significant cost).

I haven't even asked you how fluent your Japanese is.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-14-2011, 07:30 PM

If you really want to stay for three months, I would recommend saving up enough to not stay in a capsule.. business hotel at least, the cost difference isnt much, maybe 30-40USD a day extra????

Its true you can see more in three months than three weeks, but you can also only see so much constraining yourself to a major city. many of the things to see are not day trips from the said major city(ies)

Its best to have a short trip that you will enjoy, than planning for a long trip and end up hating it after 2 days....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-14-2011, 07:44 PM

What social interactions are you expecting to achieve in those three months? You might meet people and want to hang, provided you can communicate with them. if they go to bars or clubs, that's not cheap. And rest assured, they won't consider combini food as gourmet. Anything you do outside your capsule hotel, which will kick you out during the day, will cost money. $30 a night for 120 nights is $3600 of the $7800 in your budget. A flight from London is about $1000, so that leaves you $3200 for 120 days, or $26.66-roughly 17 pounds a day.... Just getting around is going cost you about $5-6 a day, so that leaves you with $20 for food. That's going to be tough on combini food, as it's not cheap either....

Unless you're writing a book about your experience, I'd really think about this....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
paulski (Offline)
New to JF

09-14-2011, 07:50 PM

i can speak enough japanese to get my self around and get what i need plus i have alot of time to learn more also i already have friends in tokyo who came to live in the uk for 6 months so i would spend most of my time sight seeing with them as for the 3 months i think i should proberly lower it down to say 6 weeks to be safe i think that for what i want out of this trip that would be plenty of time thanks for the advice
(#10 (permalink))
Old
phishy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to phishy
09-14-2011, 08:02 PM

If you have friends there i'd say couch surf if you can man. I dont know if the people you are friends with are cool with you crashing at their place but if so it would save you alot of money.