JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ThrenodyT (Offline)
New to JF

How do I describe my job? - 08-24-2011, 07:50 PM

Hello!

I am an female that will be travelling solo to Tokyo for 10 days and 8 nights in November. I have been researching for my trip for a couple of months and I have some questions I have not been able to find any advice about.

If it comes up in conversation, I am unsure how to describe my job. I am a security contractor in video surveillance for my city's transit system. I work with Police and Homeland Security. Are American Homeland Security measures an uncomfortable topic in Japan? Also, will people think I am joking about my job because I am female?

In addition, I am in the Military. Should I even mention this?

Lastly, I am an older female. Should I discreetly lie about my age, or tell the truth and possibly be dismissed as being "aged" and potentially loose out on more youthful activities or conversation I would be very interested in (such as Video Games, Otaku culture, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

08-24-2011, 08:25 PM

How much older? I know it might be rude to ask, but it could help.

I think if you're going to lie about your age, always use the 5 year window rule, unless you can REALLY pull it off

Sorry I can't help with the other questions. I don't know much about how Japan views American military at this point. Security/surveillance on the other hand, could be kind of a cool thing?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2011, 10:06 PM

Unless your fluent in Japanese, I really wouldn't expect the subject to come up. Not to mention the prospect of having conversations with anyone other then other tourists.

However if it does, your description is fine.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrenodyT View Post
Hello!

I am an female that will be travelling solo to Tokyo for 10 days and 8 nights in November. I have been researching for my trip for a couple of months and I have some questions I have not been able to find any advice about.

If it comes up in conversation, I am unsure how to describe my job. I am a security contractor in video surveillance for my city's transit system. I work with Police and Homeland Security. Are American Homeland Security measures an uncomfortable topic in Japan? Also, will people think I am joking about my job because I am female?

In addition, I am in the Military. Should I even mention this?

Lastly, I am an older female. Should I discreetly lie about my age, or tell the truth and possibly be dismissed as being "aged" and potentially loose out on more youthful activities or conversation I would be very interested in (such as Video Games, Otaku culture, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer!
Don't you think you're overreacting?

It's not like you're attending a job interview or being grilled at customs.

The Japanese are very polite and even the most curious wouldn't ask your age. The most they'd ask is where you're from.

If it comes to job occupation, you can simply tell them that you work for public transit.

If the conversation gets to job occupations, couldn't you just tell them that you work for public transit?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2011, 11:09 PM

Don't you think you're overreacting?

It's not like you're attending a job interview or being grilled at customs.

The Japanese are very polite and even the most curious wouldn't ask your age. The most they'd ask is where you're from.

If the conversation gets to job occupations, couldn't you just tell them that you work for public transit?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ThrenodyT (Offline)
New to JF

Reply - 08-25-2011, 12:17 AM

Well, that's a good point. I guess I have an inherent aversion to lying. Public Transport is a good answer, I was thinking more along the line of telling people "security". I just don't know how to phrase it! I have figured out how to tell tell people where I am from, name, etc, but the job always created a SNAFU!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-25-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
The Japanese are very polite and even the most curious wouldn't ask your age.
Are you kidding? I was asked my age all the time. Establishing age is important in Japan and it's not considered rude to ask as far as I could tell.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ThrenodyT (Offline)
New to JF

To Go Native - 08-25-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Are you kidding? I was asked my age all the time. Establishing age is important in Japan and it's not considered rude to ask as far as I could tell.
Could you please tell me what is considered an age "cut-off"? I am not interested in dating, but I traditionally enjoy "younger" things.

Thank you!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-25-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
It is actually rude specially if it is a guy asking a girl her age but I guess this is somewhat true in every country.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ThrenodyT (Offline)
New to JF

08-25-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
It is actually rude specially if it is a guy asking a girl her age but I guess this is somewhat true in every country.
Aren't Gaijin an exception?

ThrenodyT