JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Japanese Yen (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/40888-japanese-yen.html)

scribble30 10-29-2011 07:32 PM

Japanese Yen

I have just got back from an amazing trip to Japan and forgot to change up all my coins. I have approx £200 in Japanese Yen coins that I would like to sell at a competetive rate that is much better than you'd get in any bank. Due to the number of coins it does need to be collected from my house in Wimbledon. Please contact me via the forum to arrange a good rate and collection details.

Daniel

JohnBraden 10-29-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribble30 (Post 884966)
I have just got back from an amazing trip to Japan and forgot to change up all my coins. I have approx £200 in Japanese Yen coins that I would like to sell at a competetive rate that is much better than you'd get in any bank. Due to the number of coins it does need to be collected from my house in Wimbledon. Please contact me via the forum to arrange a good rate and collection details.

Daniel

The banks don't exchange coin, either in Japan or Britain. I doubt anyone wants that much coin either. You should have bought something good at the airport....

Columbine 10-30-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribble30 (Post 884966)

Daniel

You have 24,000 yen in coins? Which you put in your luggage day after day and FORGOT to change? About a couple of kilos worth of coins? I smell a particularly pungent rat.

SHAD0W 10-30-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 884980)
You have 24,000 yen in coins? Which you put in your luggage day after day and FORGOT to change? About a couple of kilos worth of coins? I smell a particularly pungent rat.

I second this. Theres no way you could forget to change that much money. Anyone who's been to Japan will know how much coin that actually is.

scribble30 10-30-2011 09:30 PM

Why smell a rat? I put all my spare coins in a bag and thought I could change them back home. There is no rat to smell. If anyone wants them at a better rate than the bank they can come to my house and see for themselves. Its a lot better rate than any bank will offer. If not, then I will be going again in a couple of years time so can use them then. I just thought it would be of interest to someone going there and wanted a good rate. One can only try and be helpful!! the offer still stands!

spicytuna 10-31-2011 01:51 PM

That's a generous offer but does it include the rental of a wheelbarrow to bring it over?

JohnBraden 10-31-2011 04:30 PM

I just don't understand how someone thinks a bank would exchange coin currency, especially overseas from its home country.

Columbine 11-01-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 885109)
I just don't understand how someone thinks a bank would exchange coin currency, especially overseas from its home country.

I just don't understand how someone could go on holiday and accumulate more than 20K yen in coin. That's fifty 500 yen coins at a minimum. I've been here two months and you know how many coins I currently have accumulated in my purse? Four. What the heck did they do, do nothing but keep breaking notes the entire trip?

JohnBraden 11-01-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbine (Post 885137)
I just don't understand how someone could go on holiday and accumulate more than 20K yen in coin. That's fifty 500 yen coins at a minimum. I've been here two months and you know how many coins I currently have accumulated in my purse? Four. What the heck did they do, do nothing but keep breaking notes the entire trip?

Come to think of it, I did accumulate quite a few coins on my last trip, but they were mostly 1 and 5 yen coins that weigh nothing. The rest I used at the kiosk by gate 62. How someone could "forget" is beyond me.... Must be a rich person who can constantly break notes left and right and not use the change. Must be nice!

samokan 11-01-2011 04:56 AM

20K yen worth of coins ? Really ? That much coin in a bag is heavy . I don't think in my time in Japan have I collected that much coins. I usually get rid of them in supermarket or convenience store whenever I can or sometimes just deposit them in banks then withdraw just so it can be converted back to paper.