JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kaleidome (Offline)
New to JF

Help with January Itinerary - 11-01-2011, 02:01 PM

So I posted this msg on another forum, but only got one response, suggesting I visit Okayama/Takamatsu. I'd really appreciate if anyone here has any other suggestions!

So I'm going to be travelling to Japan from January 6 - February 10 2012 and am having a few problems planning my trip.
I've been to Japan twice before and have visited; Kyoto, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Takayama and Kanazawa.

I'm using a foreigner air pass so can travel anywhere in Japan - transport isn't a problem.

Basically I need help/suggestions on what to do in the periods when I'm by myself, and maybe even the week when I'm with my friend.

Jan 5 - 11: Tokyo
11 - 15: ???
15 - 22: Hokkaido
23 - 29: Me & My friend in maybe Tokyo ???
30 - Feb 4: ???
4 - 10: Hokkaido

I'm guessing because I'm visited in Jan, it's not worth going to any of the smaller islands? Hiking/Beaches aren't really an option because of the weather right?

Some points:

Ideas for day/2 day trips are welcome!

If possible I'd like it to maybe be an area where snow is less likely. I love scenic gardens, but don't really wanna tramp around in the snow to see them.

For some of the time, I'd like to visit somewhere where there's temples/shrines (not Kyoto.) I really love the whole peaceful vibe thing and would like to have some "me-time" staying in a Ryokan near temples. I'm not too fussed about Onsens as I'll be doing that with friends up North. Also - I've seen Mt Fuji, and don't need to revisit it. Castles and historical buildings also interest me.

I'm 24, so would also like to spend some time in a place where there's fun things to do/good entertainment disctrict. Any ideas outside of Tokyo?

This also ties in to what me and my friend will do for our week away. I think we'll be in Tokyo for part of it - but I'd love to go somewhere else with her. We like the nightlife, and shopping. She's on a little bit of a budget, so we wouldn't want anything too pricey.

I'd also like us to go on a 2 day trip to a scenic area, maybe near Tokyo? Not sure where though.

So yes. Again I apologise for the length of this. I know it's so hard to suggest places to people. I'm just a bit stuck this time, considering the weather, and the fact I've seen more of the Touristy side of Japan.

Any advice would be HUGELY welcome!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-01-2011, 02:25 PM

What is a foreigner air pass? Is that only for air transport? If so, then you're going to have problems in places that don't have airports nearby. If you have a JR Pass, then things get much, much easier.

Nikko is a nice 2 day outing close to Tokyo....

You can visit Tohoku and help the economy. I've been to Lake Towada and the Oirase Gorge about 30 times and loved every visit.

You can go to Aomori and base a few trips from there: Hirosaki, Morioka, Akita

Nagano and Matsumoto is another 2 day outing that's nice....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

11-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidome View Post
So I posted this msg on another forum, but only got one response, suggesting I visit Okayama/Takamatsu. I'd really appreciate if anyone here has any other suggestions!

So I'm going to be travelling to Japan from January 6 - February 10 2012 and am having a few problems planning my trip.
I've been to Japan twice before and have visited; Kyoto, Tokyo, Hiroshima, Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Takayama and Kanazawa.

I'm using a foreigner air pass so can travel anywhere in Japan - transport isn't a problem.

Basically I need help/suggestions on what to do in the periods when I'm by myself, and maybe even the week when I'm with my friend.

Jan 5 - 11: Tokyo
11 - 15: ???
15 - 22: Hokkaido
23 - 29: Me & My friend in maybe Tokyo ???
30 - Feb 4: ???
4 - 10: Hokkaido

I'm guessing because I'm visited in Jan, it's not worth going to any of the smaller islands? Hiking/Beaches aren't really an option because of the weather right?

Some points:

Ideas for day/2 day trips are welcome!

If possible I'd like it to maybe be an area where snow is less likely. I love scenic gardens, but don't really wanna tramp around in the snow to see them.

For some of the time, I'd like to visit somewhere where there's temples/shrines (not Kyoto.) I really love the whole peaceful vibe thing and would like to have some "me-time" staying in a Ryokan near temples. I'm not too fussed about Onsens as I'll be doing that with friends up North. Also - I've seen Mt Fuji, and don't need to revisit it. Castles and historical buildings also interest me.

I'm 24, so would also like to spend some time in a place where there's fun things to do/good entertainment disctrict. Any ideas outside of Tokyo?

This also ties in to what me and my friend will do for our week away. I think we'll be in Tokyo for part of it - but I'd love to go somewhere else with her. We like the nightlife, and shopping. She's on a little bit of a budget, so we wouldn't want anything too pricey.

I'd also like us to go on a 2 day trip to a scenic area, maybe near Tokyo? Not sure where though.

So yes. Again I apologise for the length of this. I know it's so hard to suggest places to people. I'm just a bit stuck this time, considering the weather, and the fact I've seen more of the Touristy side of Japan.

Any advice would be HUGELY welcome!
What about Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto for the 11-15??

John's suggestion of a 2 days trip at Nikko is great, I will add a day to relax in Kinugawa

Fun place around Tokyo - I sill say Yokohama... There are all kind of things to do in Yokohama...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-02-2011, 12:19 AM

you have Hokkaido on your schedule, why not try to see the Snow (Sculpture) festival there, its around Feb, I think it might just be in your schedule.

If you want to stay in a temple, try Mt. Koya (Koyasan) in Wakayama. But it is going to be really cold up there

I also agree with Nikko, it is very scenic out there.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 11-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kaleidome (Offline)
New to JF

11-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Thanks guys

I've changed around the schedule a bit - so I'll be in Tokyo Jan 5-10 with friends, then will have the 11th - 23rd Jan to travel myself. Then 23rd - Feb 1 I'll travel round with friend. Then Feb 1 - Feb 10th Hokkaido. We'll see the snow festival when we're up there.

I think me and my friend will spend time in Nikko, Tokyo, Nagano, Matsumoto (need to confirm with her, but def somewhere in that area).

I'm going to travel South by myself to the Osaka area. Am going to book to stay at a temple in Mt Koya and just generally wander around that area.

Things are def looking clearer now! Thanks for the help
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-06-2011, 11:53 PM

this is the official website of Mt. Koya , Wakayama -> http://www.shukubo.jp/

A friend was there last weekend and stayed in Rengejô-in ..
He said it was a great experience , have fun

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------