JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Japean (Offline)
New to JF

12-01-2011, 01:40 AM

Nyororin... I'm not sure why you think that people hate Nagoya.
I could have left 15 years ago if I wanted to but I love it here. A great city indeed but lacks the "old traditional face of Japan" that tourists come here for.

That is why I just simply implied that for a tourist who wants to experience authentic Japanese culture this is not the right place to be since there's not much of authenticity left (the Nagoya castle was completely rebuilt and has an elevator inside).

You mentioned that Nagoya has a lot to offer to tourists - "plenty to see". I have visitors all the time so I really would like to have your "real Japan in Nagoya list" so that I can show them traditional Japan locally.

MorningFlash... I think your original idea was great. Arriving in Tokyo on 3rd and leaving for Nagoya on 5th sounds all right. The New Year's rush is 12/30, 31 and 1/1, 2, 3 maybe 4.
Arriving at Nagoya on 2nd and going away for a day or two on one of THOSE days (see above) might be more stressful than arriving in Tokyo and coming to Nagoya on 5th. This is my opinion, ask the others too!

If you choose to go to Osaka, then Dotonbori is great at night (great during the day too but at night it's fantastic)... and that's my list for Osaka... unless you want to see things that you can see anywhere else around the world.
Kyoto on the other hand has a lot to offer (it is the "city of temples")... but you'll get bored after 2 temples... so don't overdoze yourself.
My list for Kyoto for a one day trip is: 1) Golden Temple 2) Ryoanji (800m from Golden temple) 3) Kiyomizudera and if you have time left that I doubt then 4) Fushimi Inari or Arashiyama.
Just write these keyword 1)2)3)4) to your explorer and check out some pictures.

As for Nagoya... here's an idea for your stay! Why don't you visit one of the Toyota Factories? There are free Plant Tours every day from 11am to 13pm with an English guide. I've been there several times, it's a great experience!

If you know Japanese or have a friend who does then you can book a day ahead. You can do so at this page:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/jp/about_toy...r/general.html

If you can't do it yourself then I can help you.

Good luck,

Japean
www.japean.jp
(#12 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-01-2011, 05:12 AM

I am with Nyoririn on this. I've lived in Nagoya for nearly 20 years and in Tokyo for another 20. In the sheer variety of day-trip and weekend-trip destinations, Nagoya wins by a landslide.

From Tokyo (and this is the same with Osaka), whichever direction you go for an hour by land, you will still be in the middle of the same Kanto (or Kansai) culture, hearing the silimar accent, eating the same types of food, talking to the people with the similar cultural backgrounds.

Nagoya is totally different in this aspect for its central geographic location. You get the best of both worlds on short train rides

No one who knows anything about Japanese history will say that Nagoya has no tradition, either. That is just ludicrous. Where did you think Nobunaga, Hideyoshi and Ieyasu even come from?

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japean View Post
Nyororin... I'm not sure why you think that people hate Nagoya.
I am sorry that you took it personally. I didn't really intend the comment to be directed at you as much as talking to myself, really. There is usually a LOT of hatred directed toward Nagoya in the foreigner/expat community in Japan.

Quote:
I could have left 15 years ago if I wanted to but I love it here. A great city indeed but lacks the "old traditional face of Japan" that tourists come here for.
But so does 99% of Tokyo. (Unless the old traditional face of Japan is crowdedness and way too many people...) So I really don't think that the majority of visitors to Japan are looking for that "old traditional face" as much as they want to just experience Japan.
Sure, I would advise someone who wants to visit hundreds of temples to head to Kyoto... But when it all comes down to it, unless you are looking to visit specific tourist spots, Nagoya has just as much as anywhere else... And definitely more if you count all of Aichi. (Masses more if you toss in Gifu and Mie, as they are as easy to get to as getting from one side of Tokyo to the other.)

Quote:
That is why I just simply implied that for a tourist who wants to experience authentic Japanese culture this is not the right place to be since there's not much of authenticity left (the Nagoya castle was completely rebuilt and has an elevator inside).
Then head up to Inuyama, of an authentic castle is what you are after. Or even take a slightly longer train ride up to Hikone to see the castle there. Almost all of the castles in Japan have been rebuilt - there are only a handful that have not.

Quote:
You mentioned that Nagoya has a lot to offer to tourists - "plenty to see". I have visitors all the time so I really would like to have your "real Japan in Nagoya list" so that I can show them traditional Japan locally.
What *specifically* do you want to show them? I would be more than happy to give you some ideas. But, you know, if Nagoya isn't "real Japan", then I really don't know what would be... Japan of 50 or 100 years ago, even if that is what tourists want to see, no longer exists.

My point is that if you want to take someone to a brand-name tourist spot, then yes - you won't find many because Nagoya doesn't tend to cater to tourists so doesn't have that many (any?) that are known outside Japan. But as far as history goes, you really can't say that the area is lacking. I mean, I live right smack dab in the middle of an old battlefield and can walk to the commemorative stone put up after it... History is not lacking, it just doesn't have huge tourist signs posted around it.
You may be right that you won't find any traditional villages inside Nagoya itself, but you won't find any of those in Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto either.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Japean (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I've lived in Nagoya for nearly 20 years and in Tokyo for another 20. In the sheer variety of day-trip and weekend-trip destinations, Nagoya wins by a landslide.
The last couple of messages were about Nagoya CITY, not Aichi or Tokai area. I'm sure you got that MASAEGU. Please read again if not.
Aichi? Gifu? Mie?
Please keep in mind that we are trying to help someone who's never been to Japan, does not speak the language and has only 3-4days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
No one who knows anything about Japanese history will say that Nagoya has no tradition, either. That is just ludicrous. Where did you think Nobunaga, Hideyoshi and Ieyasu even come from?
Noone said Nagoya does not have a great history. Authenticity and History are not the same by meaning, by definition or any other context. Please look it up if you have any doubts.

We were simply talking about tourists visiting Japan.

So MASAEGU, as a tourist - not as a foreigner who's been living in Japan for 40 years - tell me, what would be GREAT to see in Nagoya area!?

Before you answer again to something completely different let me define tourist:

- someone who's generally interested in Japan
- someone who does not live in Japan
- someone who probably does NOT speak Japanese
- someone who has a limited time to experience Japan

Before you jump on someone please do check the original question.
Tourist, first time in Japan, has 3-4days; asking for help where to go, what to see... and you keep saying that Nagoya is a great place!?
Instead of protecting something that noone actually attacked (we all agree that Nagoya is a great city to live in); try to be helpful and give MorningFlash... some ideas what to do in Nagoya... 'cause honestly, Planetarium and Aquarium are just "ludicrous".

Nyororin;

1) "plenty to see"... where would you send (!!NOT take!!) your friend in Nagoya who has only 3-4 days and does not speak Japanese? /the answer is for MorningFlash.../

2) "plenty to see"... where would you TAKE your friend in Nagoya, who has only 3-4 days? /this answer would be for me/

Thank you both for helping out MorningFlash...

Dear MorningFlash...

sorry for this.
I still believe that though Nagoya is a great city but not a tourist friendly city.
As my last message to you; I honestly think that you can get much more out of Tokyo or Kyoto in that 3-4days that you have in Japan.

Good luck and take care!

Last edited by Japean : 12-02-2011 at 02:13 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
morningflash (Offline)
New to JF

12-02-2011, 10:46 PM

haha wow sorry for unintentionally creating that.

Honestly I understand both sides. I have nothing against Nagoya and I'm sure it's a wonderful city, and I will definetly enjoy spending my time there. I do know what your're trying to say though Japean, that Nagoya isn't exactly a hot spot for tourism, especially for first time travelers to Japan, right? Although that may be true I think I will still have a good time

Unfortunately Japean I've already booked my flight into Nagoya and I will be arriving on the 2nd, so the whole Tokyo thing might be impossible. But thank you for recommending some places to see in Kyoto and Osaka!

Maybe you guys could tell me a few local spots I could visit in Nagoya, (I'm staying in Sakae) maybe some good restaurants? Does Nagoya have any sort of local food specialty that I should try? In the travel guide I bought it mentioned a place called Yabaton in Sakae, anybody ever been? It sounds like an interesting restaurant
(#16 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningflash View Post
Maybe you guys could tell me a few local spots I could visit in Nagoya, (I'm staying in Sakae) maybe some good restaurants? Does Nagoya have any sort of local food specialty that I should try? In the travel guide I bought it mentioned a place called Yabaton in Sakae, anybody ever been? It sounds like an interesting restaurant
I second this notion because I am going to Japan in a few weeks and plan on a day trip to Nagoya from Osaka.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Japean (Offline)
New to JF

Nagoya - 12-03-2011, 02:27 PM

hey guys,

I don't wanna be a bad host so here's some info on Nagoya.
First, Yabaton (and many other restaurants) offers "MisoKatsu" that is one of the specialties of Nagoya. Once you visit this city, you must try it:

Misokatsu Yabaton

Otherwise you should try "Izakaya" that is the hybrid of a pub and a restaurant. I'm sure the hotel staff will introduce you some in the neighborhood.
Just in case, here are some izakayas in Sakae area:

Japanese- Izakaya

Don't worry about language in Japanese restaurants because most of the menus are with photos. Good thing about Izakaya that the portions are small so you can try many things.

Not sure what you guys are interested in but I think one day may be interesting for "culture and history":

Nagoya Sightseeing Route Bus

... you don't have to get off at all the stops so check out what interests you before getting on.

As I wrote before Toyota Plant Tours (not museum!) are great (you can actually see how they manufacture the cars from scratch). All of my friends and family enjoyed it so far. (Found the english website):

TOYOTA:Plant Tour & Toyota Kaikan Museum

If you are already in Sakae, you should go underground... and by that I mean to one of the largest "underground shopping mall" in Japan. Starting from "Oasis 21" may be a good idea... When you get lost, just follow the crowd.

If you want to see Nagoya from above, then you should have a drink at Nagoya station's "twin towers" (if you see it, you'll get it). One of the towers - from the 15th floor to the top floor - is Mariott Hotel, with a restaurant/bar on the top floor. It's good to make a reservation ahead if you go at night (do not forget to ask for a table at the window, with view!).
If you do not want to spend much on the night view (drinks are pricey), then the 15th floor's "terrace" will do.

Not sure how old you guys are but if you are interested in night-life then:

Dance Club in NAGOYA - Bar-and-Restaurant.com

ID Cafe is one of the most popular clubs in Nagoya:

iD-caf? in Naka-ku, Nagoya - Bar-and-Restaurant.com

You may also be interested in experiencing a Tea Ceremony, Shodo (calligraphy) and Kimono wearing (if you are or with a lady).

I hope this'll help you enjoy your stay.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Japean : 12-03-2011 at 02:31 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
hey guys,

I don't wanna be a bad host so here's some info on Nagoya.
First, Yabaton (and many other restaurants) offers "MisoKatsu" that is one of the specialties of Nagoya. Once you visit this city, you must try it:

Misokatsu Yabaton

Otherwise you should try "Izakaya" that is the hybrid of a pub and a restaurant. I'm sure the hotel staff will introduce you some in the neighborhood.
Just in case, here are some izakayas in Sakae area:

Japanese- Izakaya

Don't worry about language in Japanese restaurants because most of the menus are with photos. Good thing about Izakaya that the portions are small so you can try many things.

Not sure what you guys are interested in but I think one day may be interesting for "culture and history":

Nagoya Sightseeing Route Bus

... you don't have to get off at all the stops so check out what interests you before getting on.

As I wrote before Toyota Plant Tours (not museum!) are great (you can actually see how they manufacture the cars from scratch). All of my friends and family enjoyed it so far. (Found the english website):

TOYOTA:Plant Tour & Toyota Kaikan Museum

If you are already in Sakae, you should go underground... and by that I mean to one of the largest "underground shopping mall" in Japan. Starting from "Oasis 21" may be a good idea... When you get lost, just follow the crowd.

If you want to see Nagoya from above, then you should have a drink at Nagoya station's "twin towers" (if you see it, you'll get it). One of the towers - from the 15th floor to the top floor - is Mariott Hotel, with a restaurant/bar on the top floor. It's good to make a reservation ahead if you go at night (do not forget to ask for a table at the window, with view!).
If you do not want to spend much on the night view (drinks are pricey), then the 15th floor's "terrace" will do.

Not sure how old you guys are but if you are interested in night-life then:

Dance Club in NAGOYA - Bar-and-Restaurant.com

ID Cafe is one of the most popular clubs in Nagoya:

iD-caf? in Naka-ku, Nagoya - Bar-and-Restaurant.com

You may also be interested in experiencing a Tea Ceremony, Shodo (calligraphy) and Kimono wearing (if you are or with a lady).

I hope this'll help you enjoy your stay.

Good Luck!
Hi Japean,

Thanks a lot for your input. I've read your posts in this thread and I think I might skip Nagoya in favor of another city but maybe not. If I do, I'll definitely take the advice you posted in this message.

I'm making an itinerary so I will use these places in case I decide to go.

I have been to a Toyota plant in the United States and you're right: They are enjoyable. Not only do you see the cars being built but the robotics they employ even down to self-governing robots that deliver materials to points in the plant without any supervision. It was fascinating.

In reference to one of your earlier posts questioning the amount of enjoyable content in Nagoya a foreign tourist would receive as opposed to a native I can agree with some of your points.

I live in the United States and when people say "I went to America and experienced the culture when I went to New York and to Time Square." my thoughts are .. well if you wanted to experience America why did you go to Time Square or New York? lol

I'm sure it's the same for people who have lived in Japan for some years or are from Japan. I can understand their points as well as I've never been to Tokyo (this will be my 2nd trip to Japan and I am not going to Tokyo this time either...but maybe next year) since the thought of a big, expensive, city jam packed with people doesn't really excite me but is one of the first things to do for a tourist going to Japan. It's kind of like my New York example.

Thanks again for your post and I will definitely look into your advice.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Japean (Offline)
New to JF

Tourists - 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Hey OHayou,

thanks for the kind words.

If you are into "real" traveling - I'm also not into sightseeing myself - then you should consider staying with a hostfamily for a couple of days somewhere away from big cities!

Japanese love to have foreigners - especially caucasian - around because:

- they are very curious
- want their children to practice English
- love to help others

...so you can find many websites on hostfamilies in Japan.

Another idea is to "apply" for an "internship" at a workshop.
Pick your field of interest and contact a workshop that you'd love to see, what and how they do for a day or two. I'm sure they'll help with your accomodation too.

Some tips for this area:

- Seki town: knife and sword (関の刃物直売センター 三秀)
- Minokamo town: washi (japanese paper) (美濃和紙の里会館)
- Gero city: Japanese Brewery (www.tenryou.com)
- Tokoname or Seto city: pottery (My Gallery : 常滑の町/Tokoname, A Pottery City)
- Tokai area: agriculture (http://www.mjna50.net/)

The websites are just examples...

Good luck and enjoy Japan!

Japean
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-06-2011, 01:41 AM

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread. The weekend is our out and about time...

Quote:
Noone said Nagoya does not have a great history. Authenticity and History are not the same by meaning, by definition or any other context. Please look it up if you have any doubts.
It would help if you clarified what your "authentic" means. To me, authentic is something that is real and representative of reality. Under this definition, Nagoya is far more authentic than... say... Meiji-mura. It most certainly isn`t a "fake" Japan, by any stretch.

Quote:
1) "plenty to see"... where would you send (!!NOT take!!) your friend in Nagoya who has only 3-4 days and does not speak Japanese? /the answer is for MorningFlash.../
Three to four days... Let me see - on the history/traditional side;
First I would suggest visiting the Nagoya castle park (no need to actually enter the castle itself, just enjoy the grounds). As a side, checking out the official buildings in the direct vicinity would be neat, but might take a bit of a walk.
A visit to Oosu Kannon timed to see the karakuri.
A visit to the Tokugawa Art Museum and gardens.
Atsuta Jingu.
Narumi-Arimatsu...

If they are interested in general sightseeing - a trip to Nagoya station itself to go shopping (both above or below ground), or a walk around Sakae (again, above and below ground) with a pocket map.
The rest is really going to depend on what they are interested in. Someone who wants to see temples isn`t going to enjoy the same thing as someone who wants to enjoy the nightlife.

Quote:
2) "plenty to see"... where would you TAKE your friend in Nagoya, who has only 3-4 days? /this answer would be for me/
Is this with or without a car?
Some of my favorite places to take people;
Walking around the Shirakabe area. (Great traditional buildings)
Walking around Kanayama in the evening/at night. (Neon and "cool")
Yagoto / Heiwa park.
And, well, places right around me but they are just outside the city boundaries.

Quote:
I live in the United States and when people say "I went to America and experienced the culture when I went to New York and to Time Square." my thoughts are .. well if you wanted to experience America why did you go to Time Square or New York? lol
Pretty much this.
I consider Nagoya a far more "authentic" sample of Japan than hopping from tourist spot to tourist spot, temple to temple, etc. Tokyo and Kyoto are obviously still Japan, but I think that a visit to Tokyo or Kyoto is going to give you more of a Tokyo or Kyoto experience than a "Japan" experience.
Just my opinion, of course. I am one of those people who isn`t very interested in tourist spots that are pushed in your face with souvenirs on hand to empty your wallet. When I visit somewhere, if the culture/lifestyle is different than my own, I want to see the reality of it...

I think this is part of what is confusing me about Nagoya not being "authentic" - if it isn`t, where IS authentic? Because shuffling from one crowded tourist spot to another certainly isn`t. Walking back streets in the early evening, smelling the scent of dinners cooking, catching glimpses of tatami being made or futon being stuffed in small workshops, hearing the distant sound of a train passing by... That is authentic Japan to me.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 12-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.