LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetokyo View Post
This might sound like a dumb queston, but is the train system in Japan easy to figure out?
It's not that hard to figure out. There are exceptions, of course.... The biggest is that rail transport in Tokyo is not monopolized, meaning you may have to pay several times to get to your destination if you use lines operated by different companies, JR, Odakyu, Tokyo Metro, etc.

Most connections are made within the same station complex. There are others, like Ochanomizu where the JR (above ground) station is across the river from the Maronouchi (underground) station. You physically have to leave the station, walk for a while and then enter another station, even though it's the same name.

There's one in Asakusa (Kuramae) I think that you have to walk about 5 minutes outside to get to the corresponding transfer line, within the same station!

Other lines you may have to walk about 10-12 flights of stairs down to get to the platform. It seems you're walking to the center of the earth! Some stations are about 200-300ft deep.

It may appear daunting at first, but after your first day on it, it's a breeze. Especially coming from N.Y., I don't think you'll have all that much trouble after the first day.

Then again, there are stations that have 50-60 exits, like Shinjuku and Ikebukuro that may seem like a maze after a bit, since they add shopping malls at tunnel level there.

Ask away if you have any more concerns!

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-10-2011 at 04:01 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
itunes.apple.com/us/app/navico-all-japan-map-version/id378459466?mt=8
I think paying for internet on an htc or iphone will be extremely expensive in Japan.
You can always rent a pocket WiFi and carry it with you at all times to hook up your iPhone and laptop. For a short stay, it may not be a bad choice....

https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html (This one has faster connections speed but a little pricey for short time... works out better in longer stays)

Mobile Internet - Rentafone Japan - Pocket WiFi / MiFi Rental (This one has a better week price but slower speed)

I will be doing this and putting my phone in Airplane Mode and manually connecting the WiFi....
(#13 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

Talking 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
It's not that hard to figure out. There are exceptions, of course.... The biggest is that rail transport in Tokyo is not monopolized, meaning you may have to pay several times to get to your destination if you use lines operated by different companies, JR, Odakyu, Tokyo Metro, etc.

Most connections are made within the same station complex. There are others, like Ochanomizu where the JR (above ground) station is across the river from the Maronouchi (underground) station. You physically have to leave the station, walk for a while and then enter another station, even though it's the same name.

There's one in Asakusa (Kuramae) I think that you have to walk about 5 minutes outside to get to the corresponding transfer line, within the same station!

Other lines you may have to walk about 10-12 flights of stairs down to get to the platform. It seems you're walking to the center of the earth! Some stations are about 200-300ft deep.

It may appear daunting at first, but after your first day on it, it's a breeze. Especially coming from N.Y., I don't think you'll have all that much trouble after the first day.

Then again, there are stations that have 50-60 exits, like Shinjuku and Ikebukuro that may seem like a maze after a bit, since they add shopping malls at tunnel level there.

Ask away if you have any more concerns!
Wow that sounds pretty inimidating actually. I think i might just start off with going to Shibuya to Harajuku. Then go to Tokyo when i get the hang of it. Lol i think i may be worrying about the little things too much. I just hope ill take the right exit from what you told me LOL.
just kidding. Japan is such a tourist oriented country. Its ridiculous to even be worried. You shouls be my tour guide! Lol

I don't have a facebook.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Wow that sounds pretty inimidating actually. I think i might just start off with going to Shibuya to Harajuku. Then go to Tokyo when i get the hang of it. Lol i think i may be worrying about the little things too much. I just hope ill take the right exit from what you told me LOL.

I have a feeling you think that Shibuya, Harajuku and Tokyo are separate cities. They are all on the Yamanote Line (the main line tourists use). The Yamanote line is a loop of the city and has 29 stations. The main ones tourists use are Tokyo, Akihabara, Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, Shimbashi, and Yurakucho. You can pretty much visit most of Tokyo without using any other rail line. It is operated by JR, so it is above ground, giving you a chance to see all of the surrounding areas. It's less claustrophobic.

Quote:
You should be my tour guide! Lol
Aww geez.... don't make me blush! But thank you! I don't know that much about Tokyo. I get around where I want. That, I don't have a problem with!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling you think that Shibuya, Harajuku and Tokyo are separate cities. They are all on the Yamanote Line (the main line tourists use). The Yamanote line is a loop of the city and has 29 stations. The main ones tourists use are Tokyo, Akihabara, Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, Shimbashi, and Yurakucho. You can pretty much visit most of Tokyo without using any other rail line. It is operated by JR, so it is above ground, giving you a chance to see all of the surrounding areas. It's less claustrophobic.

Aww geez.... don't make me blush! But thank you! I don't know that much about Tokyo. I get around where I want. That, I don't have a problem with!
Yeah the JR Line is what I need. I heard its only a couple of dollars too. Lol im a college student so this is probably why I sound so cheap. but anyway, i feel so much more relieved now that you've explained this to me. thanks so much again & again. Oh and if you see a girl with a huge map in her face in front of Tokyo station, just say hi

I don't have a facebook.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah the JR Line is what I need. I heard its only a couple of dollars too. Lol im a college student so this is probably why I sound so cheap. but anyway, i feel so much more relieved now that you've explained this to me. thanks so much again & again. Oh and if you see a girl with a huge map in her face in front of Tokyo station, just say hi
You're welcome!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

Thumbs up 11-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
You can always rent a pocket WiFi and carry it with you at all times to hook up your iPhone and laptop. For a short stay, it may not be a bad choice....

https://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html (This one has faster connections speed but a little pricey for short time... works out better in longer stays)

Mobile Internet - Rentafone Japan - Pocket WiFi / MiFi Rental (This one has a better week price but slower speed)

I will be doing this and putting my phone in Airplane Mode and manually connecting the WiFi....
This is exactly what I need! Except, i have an htc phone so i dont know if its compatible with it. Ill most likely get this though, considering im probably going to go back to Japan anyway. So, i guess i dont have to pay high rates for wifi in Japan.

I don't have a facebook.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I need! Except, i have an htc phone so i dont know if its compatible with it. Ill most likely get this though, considering im probably going to go back to Japan anyway. So, i guess i dont have to pay high rates for wifi in Japan.
You can always send either one of them an e-mail to make sure! It does mention Android phone, so you may be in luck!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
crime60 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to crime60
11-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Why do you have that? Unless you got it for "free".... it's $65.... No reason to have it if you haven't been to Japan....
i did get it for free ... i am getting prepared to visit japan so i thought "it wont hurt to have it" you know...
i do have a lot of Jap Apps in my iPhone, i am trying to get used to the language now that i am planning to visit japan...

"work for your world and living like you will forever live, and work for your hereafter like you'll die tomorrow"
Mohamed (P.B.U.H)
(#20 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-10-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crime60 View Post
i did get it for free ... i am getting prepared to visit japan so i thought "it wont hurt to have it" you know...
i do have a lot of Jap Apps in my iPhone, i am trying to get used to the language now that i am planning to visit japan...
How did you get it for free?

I don't have a facebook.