JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

Maps of Japan for Tourists - 11-10-2011, 05:35 AM

Does anyone know some detailed street maps of Japan?(old school maps, not apps/dl)
Specifically, places like Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, and Ginza.
How did you guys find the easiest/best way to get around the Tokyo area?
I don't think one can get a GPS navigation of Japan in the U.S., but correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

I don't have a facebook.

Last edited by sweetokyo : 11-10-2011 at 06:15 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
crime60 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to crime60
11-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetokyo View Post
Does anyone know some detailed street maps of Japan?
Specifically, places like Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, and Ginza.
How did you guys find the easiest/best way to get around the Tokyo area?
I don't think one can get a GPS navigation of Japan in the U.S., but correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks
navico... This is the GPS app that I have in my iPhone, but its detailed in Japanese... I don't know if it comes in English too?!?!
MinaSan, a help on this one please...

"work for your world and living like you will forever live, and work for your hereafter like you'll die tomorrow"
Mohamed (P.B.U.H)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-10-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crime60 View Post
navico... This is the GPS app that I have in my iPhone, but its detailed in Japanese... I don't know if it comes in English too?!?!
MinaSan, a help on this one please...

itunes.apple.com/us/app/navico-all-japan-map-version/id378459466?mt=8
Better start learning japanese.
The market has plenty of offline maps of Japan that dont require wifi.
The problem with offline maps is that they dont have a navigation to and from a location.
and if they do then it does require wifi. I think paying for internet on an htc or iphone will be extremely expensive in Japan. This is why im asking for maps LOL.

I don't have a facebook.

Last edited by sweetokyo : 11-10-2011 at 06:29 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
crime60 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to crime60
11-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Better start learning japanese.
I think paying for internet on an htc or iphone will be extremely expensive in Japan. This is why im asking for maps LOL.
I just started to learn Japanese ... But it'll take time for me to be able to read navico map,,, it's not an easy language to learn

And here I thought, I was to easily access the Internet when I get there,,, I better find another way around such expenses...

"work for your world and living like you will forever live, and work for your hereafter like you'll die tomorrow"
Mohamed (P.B.U.H)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Amazon.com: Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide (3rd Ed.) (9784770025036): Kodansha International, Atsushi Umeda: Books

The best Tokyo map I've ever come across. You can't get lost if you get this. I've used it two times already (2 visits) and I've never gotten lost. I will take it there again in March....

I bought mine in the states, but my friend got his in a bookstore on the Meiji Dori, close to the corner with the street that runs into Shibuya crossing....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-10-2011 at 09:37 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Amazon.com: Tokyo City Atlas: A Bilingual Guide (3rd Ed.) (9784770025036): Kodansha International, Atsushi Umeda: Books

The best Tokyo map I've ever come across. You can't get lost if you get this. I've used it two times already (2 visits) and I've never gotten lost. I will take it there again in March....

I bought mine in the states, but my friend got his in a bookstore on the Meiji Dori, close to the corner with the street that runs into Shibuya crossing....
Thank you so much. I was afraid of getting lost b/c its my first trip there. & plus i love amazon I just ordered it. If you have any other recommendations I'd love to know.

I don't have a facebook.

Last edited by sweetokyo : 11-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I just started to learn Japanese ... But it'll take time for me to be able to read navico map,,, it's not an easy language to learn

And here I thought, I was to easily access the Internet when I get there,,, I better find another way around such expenses...
I started learning too. Im going to take a couple courses of Japanese as my language in my University.
Well there are some free wifi spots, but I just dont want to rely on it because there might not be.
& I know every hotel pretty much has internet access too. I actually got a website for free wifi spots, though.
Tokyo/Shibuya - Japan - Free WiFi Spots

I don't have a facebook.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. I was afraid of getting lost b/c its my first trip there. & plus i love amazon I just ordered it. If you have any other recommendations I'd love to know.
As far as maps of Tokyo go, there is no rival. You can find any address on there, even using the mind-boggling system they have, since each block is numbered. You won't regret buying it. There are about 25 pages of larger-sized maps of the main parts you mentioned: Ginza, Maronouchi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asauka, Ueno, Ikebukuro, etc and the rest of Tokyo is on the remaining pages in smaller scale, but you still can see every individual block.

All you have to do is learn how the address system works and follow it up with its corresponding area on the map and you'll be set. It lists all the stations and I recommend you d/l the iPhone app "Metro" (Aqua colored circle with an "M" on it in white) You can use it offline to determine what is the best route from station to station. Think of it as a poor man's Hyperdia.

As far as recommending anything else, I don't know what you're looking for, so....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

11-10-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
navico... This is the GPS app that I have in my iPhone, but its detailed in Japanese...
Why do you have that? Unless you got it for "free".... it's $65.... No reason to have it if you haven't been to Japan....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 11-10-2011 at 02:11 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
sweetokyo (Offline)
JF Regular

11-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
As far as maps of Tokyo go, there is no rival. You can find any address on there, even using the mind-boggling system they have, since each block is numbered. You won't regret buying it. There are about 25 pages of larger-sized maps of the main parts you mentioned: Ginza, Maronouchi, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asauka, Ueno, Ikebukuro, etc and the rest of Tokyo is on the remaining pages in smaller scale, but you still can see every individual block.

All you have to do is learn how the address system works and follow it up with its corresponding area on the map and you'll be set. It lists all the stations and I recommend you d/l the iPhone app "Metro" (Aqua colored circle with an "M" on it in white) You can use it offline to determine what is the best route from station to station. Think of it as a poor man's Hyperdia.

As far as recommending anything else, I don't know what you're looking for, so....
I will definitely take your word for it, considering you've been there twice already. Thats pretty amazing.
& I just downloaded the Metro app. I think I have more then enough sources now. You're a life saver! Now I feel like I can go to Kyoto and Osaka and not get lost. Lol
This might sound like a dumb queston, but is the train system in Japan easy to figure out? The only train I take to get around is in New York and I dont know if its the same concept.
I would also recommend getting this
Amazon.com: Getting Around Tokyo Pocket Atlas and Transportation Guide: Includes Yokohama, Kamakura, Yokota, Yokosuka, Hakone and MT Fuji (9784805309650): Boye Lafayette De Mente: Books
I just bought it and it pretty much sums up everything you need to know about Tokyo, the subway system, and the train stations. It also has a good couple of maps.

I don't have a facebook.