JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WatashiWaMono (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to WatashiWaMono
Abroad to Japan - 04-28-2007, 08:40 PM

I've been looking for ways to get to Japan this summer, and my aunt suggested to go abroad through some sort of program. I searched on the internet and I found this website: Work & Travel Abroad: Overseas English Program

The program looks promising to me since it's flexible with scheduling and you don't need to be fluent in the language, but my parents are worried that it might not be a trustworthy program since they've never heard of it. Has anyone ever traveled through CHI's, or do you have any other suggestions?

~MONO~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-01-2007, 01:45 AM

So, you pay to be a family's private tutor? That makes no sense to me. I bet the families have to pay as well. I would definitely want to know where every dime of my money was going. For nine hundred bucks, you can have my apartment for a month and I'll go sleep on a park bench.

If this is your only option, it actually doesn't sound like a bad one. Especially if they feed you every now and then. I think I am going to start looking for a host family. Posting pictures of myself in grocery stores and train stations, free to a good home. No rent and utilities every month would save me like 600 dollars a month.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-01-2007, 03:43 AM

I`ve never actually heard of that specific program, so I have no idea how good it is... But I think Jason is being just a little overly negative about the whole homestay idea. :P
Homestay is probably one of the best ways to learn Japanese. You`re in a family situation, hearing Japanese on a regular basis, pretty much all day every day.
I started with a homestay when I first came to Japan, and I was speaking relatively well within a couple of months. Because, well, as you`re living with people who demand communication, it`s sort of a speak-or-die situation. I wasn`t teaching them English though.

I really don`t think the whole 3 months for $1175 is that bad of a deal. I don`t really know what they expect you to do in regards to the "helping with conversational English"... But if they`re seriously working you it would suck. I imagine though that it would more likely be a "help the kids with their English homework" for an hour each night, combined with maybe an hour or so of attempting to talk with mom in English each afternoon - that is, if the time is even set. I guess it would all depend upon the family. You might get lucky and it be something like just simply telling them how to say certain things in English whenever the topic came up.

I don`t think the price is that bad - take a look around at other homestay deals. When I was first looking around, the going rate was $1000/month, no matter how long you stayed (ie. $3000 for 3 months), plus other fees etc. Staying at someone`s house is a lot more work for them than it seems at first glance - trust me, I know, from personal experience.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

05-01-2007, 03:59 AM

I would have to say the same thing as Nyororin. I stayed in a home stay situation for 5 months and it was great. One of my host Parents (I had 3 pair) My host dad and mom love it and would get exited when I said Ego de asobo (lets play English) but my host siblings where like "Oh no not more studding!!" but they still in joyed the English games I would play with them.

All and all it was a great experience that I will never forget. And if you like Japan enough, home stay is the best way to go. (I think)

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-01-2007, 05:05 AM

I am simply skeptical when it comes to trusting study abroad companies. I have no quarrels with the idea of doing a homestay, but I would certainly be asking a lot of questions of the company and shopping around.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GaijinInvasion (Offline)
ケビン

Send a message via MSN to GaijinInvasion
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM

I dont think you should worry that much. If only they will give you information on your homestay BEFORE you leave for Japan and also where you will be put as teacher, I think there cant go anything else wrong ? So in my opinion the price is always the most important factor, and ofcourse also the city..

And if they give false information, then you can always sue them !

(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Maybe it is just because I studied abroad in China which is a world unto itself.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WatashiWaMono (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to WatashiWaMono
05-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Thank you all for your replies! I decided to go ahead with this program. ^_^ I'm really excited now (:

~MONO~