JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JLuo (Offline)
New to JF

Question Overnight bus to Kyoto - 11-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Hi Japan Forum!

We are 4 people who is going to travel to Tokyo next july and was wondering when the last overnight bus to Kyoto is departing from Tokyo. Tips and info will be appreciated
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Looks like 23:50 is the last bus to leave Shinjuku and arrives in Kyoto Station at 07:00 the next morning. This is just an estimate, since the website can't plan that far ahead....

高速バス ⇒ 空席結果一覧時間順 / WILLER TRAVEL
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JLuo (Offline)
New to JF

11-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Ok, thanks!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Japean (Offline)
New to JF

Overnight Bus - 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Hey JLuo,

I also found the same time as JohnBraden but... are you sure about this night bus?!

I know it is one of the cheapest ways to get from Tokyo to Kyoto but... how tall are you guys?

I'm 184cms and had the 'pleasure' once to travel from Nagoya to Tokyo on a bus... it was excruciating.
There was no legroom and a drunk japanese guy snored next to me all the way to Tokyo.

Not trying to scare you... just sharing my experiences!

Last edited by Japean : 11-29-2011 at 01:54 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-29-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japean View Post
There was no legroom and a drunk japanese guy snored next to me all the way to Tokyo.
Sounds like you had a pretty bad experience...

Last time I took a night bus (Nagoya to Tokyo), there were only about five people on the bus. I had my row entirely to myself. I can't comment on sleeping as I cannot sleep in a moving vehicle, but it was quite spacious. Then again, I am only 159cm.

There are different types of buses with different seat layouts and amounts of room, so you may have gotten a really bad one. More crowded times of the year - holidays, etc - they bring out the older buses and buses that are more for day use which can hold more passengers.

The bus I was on was a lot more spacious than any plane I have had the "pleasure" of taking, and was more comfortable than the Shinkansen by far.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-29-2011, 05:36 PM

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can still get a really good price and get a decent sized bus. I used the night bus from Himeji to Tokyo and it was pretty bad on the way there. I was really cramped in a window seat and the head rest was too short for me so i couldn't lay my head back. ( Im 186cm by the way.) On the way back it was much better as i had an aisle seat. I also purchased a neck pillow and I slept like a baby. Keep in mind that I bought one of the cheapest buses available at about 7000 yen round trip. Bump that up by 1000 or 1500 yen each way and you will be much more comfortable.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-01-2011, 03:18 AM

I have been on a willer night bus, and they have more leg room than the JR bus ( seishon bus -> the cheapest ).

But if you want a little bit of comfort then you can choose which type of bus, the more expensive one have better types of seat

Seat Types / WILLER TRAVEL, Express Bus in Japan

高速バスのご案内 | ジェイアールバス関東

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------