JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
crosso (Offline)
New to JF

Planning a 2 month holiday to Japan - Mid 2012 - Need some advice - 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Hey everyone
So basically this will be my second trip to Japan. My first was a school trip for 2 weeks in late 2010. We went many places over the course of 2 weeks including Tokyo, Nara, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima and many small places between. It truely was a great trip and our days were full of visiting many tourist sites. Unfortunately 2 weeks simply wasn't long enough for me, and I really want to get back and see more of Japan and not feel so rushed.

I'm now 18 years old (the legal adult age in Australia) and I'm hoping that won't inhibit my experience in Japan. I was 17 and brought sake without a problem (as a gift for my teacher, not me :P) but I was just curious if my age will be a problem.

I was thinking of going to Tokyo and staying there for a month in a Sakura House, and then going to a smaller city and staying in a hostel and having trips to nearby cities. I don't know what I'd do for a month though. Is there much to see around/in Tokyo?

Maybe it would be a better idea to find a sharehouse in Kyoto or Osaka where there is more variety of places to visit and see. I would enjoy train rides everyday to new places.

Cost isn't too much of an issue for me, but I don't want to spend thousands on accommodation so sharehouses/hostels seem like a good idea for me.

As you can tell from my post I don't have much of an idea on where I want to go. So any advice is muchly appreciated. Thankyou
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tetoteto (Offline)
New to JF

12-08-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso View Post
I'm now 18 years old (the legal adult age in Australia) and I'm hoping that won't inhibit my experience in Japan. I was 17 and brought sake without a problem (as a gift for my teacher, not me :P) but I was just curious if my age will be a problem.

The legal drinking age in Japan is 20 y.o... although I'm sure you'll still be able to buy alcohol at various places

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso View Post
I don't know what I'd do for a month though. Is there much to see around/in Tokyo? .
Depends on what you want to do/see, but yes - you will have heaps to do. Tokyo is huge as are the cities surrounding it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
vastlife (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up Sakura House - 12-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Have you ever stayed at Sakura House before?
When I went on vacation to Japan in 2006 I stayed for one month in a Sakura House share house. I had a really good experience there! It was easy to deal with the office, since everyone spoke English fluently (very rare in Tokyo), and I got loads of friends in the share house. I had such a good experience that I came back half a year later and continued to live in a share house for almost 4 years.

Anyway, if you are staying for a month or longer, I believe that would be a really good choice.

Good luck!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoteto View Post
The legal drinking age in Japan is 20 y.o... although I'm sure you'll still be able to buy alcohol at various places
I will not recommend that, you may be able to get away, but all you need is ONE place who ask for an ID, they can deport you for the smallest thing you commit, the only reason they need is they "suspect" you could be a threat to the society, safety and well being to others and they can dport you.

A lot of JF users are now staying active over at jpanologic.com, you can find more help over there..
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

12-13-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona88 View Post
Well, I'm planning to travel to Japan in May 2012 for my honeymoon. I've really got no idea. Thx for sharing those information.
I went to Japan during my honeymoon too, I was there for 3 weeks, acting as my wife's tour guide at the time

/g

P.s., for more help or suggestions, make a stop over at japanologic.com, most of the locals and experts are slowly moving over to that site