JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mra21 (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation A 2-Week Budget Trip to Japan - 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Hi, I'm planning to spend 2 weeks in Japan this March and was wondering if a total sum of 2,500 USD (excluding plane ticket and accommodation fee) will be enough to make the trip and still enjoy it? Moreover, if I’m planning to spend 10 days in Tokyo and 4 in Kansai (i.e. Kyoto and Nara), is it worth it to buy a 14-day JR Pass for 603 USD?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-09-2012, 02:01 PM

I would advise against a 14 day and go for a 7 day.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SuteisiChan (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Hi there!

I staid in Tokyo in October 2009, I was there for about 10 days. It's possible that the prices have changed since then, I know plane fares have gone up a lot, so maybe some of the things have gotten more expensive in Tokyo. So please take my advice lightly, it's possible it will be different for you.

So we are ignoring plane ticket and hotel.

I had set aside around 50$ per day to eat. Of course, there were many days I only spent 5$ for my lunch and didn't have breakfast so it cost me 20-30$ at most, but I prefered to have more money available than not enough.

I spent around 2,000$ on activities and shopping. I brought back a lot of souvenirs and bought myself a LOT of books, CDs and DVDs.

So I think 2,500$ you will be OK, take in consideration if you plan to eat at expensive restaurants or if you prefer to eat at Yoshinoya every day (it's a fast food type restaurant, you can get a rice bowl with meat at 3-5$ it's DELICIOUS!).

I'm big on shopping, I love shopping and I did A LOT of it while I was in Japan. So if you're not into that so much and are more into doing tons of touristy things like visiting places, then maybe it will cost you less.

All in all together I had saved around 6,000$ for my trip, including EVERYTHING (plane, hotel, food, shopping, etc). And I ended up coming home with 1,000$ left in my bank.

I cannot advise on the JR Rail Pass as I don't have any experience with it.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Last edited by SuteisiChan : 01-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.