JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
julielt101 (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Work in Japan- please help - 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Hello,Konnichiwa:-

I would like some advice please if anyone can help, please.
I am a Canadian citizen married to a British Man. My husband was offered
a job as a teacher in Tokyo. We will be moving there in August. I will be on
a dependent Visa. I found out only yesterday that it is not possible to work whatsoever on a dependent visa. I was under the impression I could work part-time. The people at the embassy in the UK told me that I could apply for part-time work once in Japan, but that it was unlikely that it was going to be granted. I only have College Qualifications, and no University.
Would it be possible for me to find employment at all? Is it true that it is almost impossible for me to get a part-time visa? Is anybody else in the same position as me? Has anyone got any advice for me on what they did/do?

I would appreciate some help on this please,
Many Thanks/Arigato Gozai Masu
Julie
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-09-2007, 02:45 AM

as far as I know you can work with a dependent visa. I have a friends who's husband is an engineer and she came her on a dependent visa and she works as a teacher in a kindergarten school. And until now she has still a dependent visa and she has no problem whatsoever. I don't think you need to apply for a part-time visa, and I don't think there is such a visa

But if you are a degree holder, you could apply for a working visa once you get here, just be sure to bring your credentials. And check out Japans' Ministry of Foreign Affairs site for more information.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-09-2007, 04:22 AM

A dependent visa when you`re married to a Japanese citizen (Also known as a spousal visa) allows employment... As does the dependent visa issued when you`re a dependent of a permanent resident.

However, a normal dependent visa does *not*. I`ve never heard of an actual part-time visa. I do not think there is such thing. What is most likely is that it will be the same sort of situation as a student visa - you will have to apply to the immigration office for permission to work limited hours. They may or may not grant it. I believe that the length of your stay, whether you have children, etc makes a difference.

While I know of dependents of Japanese citizens and Permanent residents working.... I don`t know of any short term working visa dependents who work.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-09-2007, 04:34 AM

I heard of "permission to work", but its not a visa, just allows you to work for a certain type of job. You might be possible to ask for that, when you arrived in Japan. Ill try to ask my friend about the details

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#5 (permalink))
Old
julielt101 (Offline)
New to JF

05-09-2007, 09:33 AM

Thank you so much for your replies so far, it's very kind of you.

I guess I'll have to apply for permission to work when I get to Japan, and see what happens then.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
glaylover (Offline)
Nan de?

05-09-2007, 03:25 PM

You will not be able to apply for a working visa if you do not have a university degree. Try the working holiday programme if you cannot work on the dependent visa. It will allow you to work part time for 1 1/2 years, I assume Canada and Australia have the same agreement with Japan on that issue.

Glaylover

zutto futari de..........
(#7 (permalink))
Old
julielt101 (Offline)
New to JF

05-10-2007, 07:11 AM

No I Can't do the holiday working visa thing. As I have lived in the Uk for the last 8years, I would have to go back to Canada to apply and then fly to Japan from there and that would cost me an extra £1800, $3600 just in flight. Also it's very unlikely that it would be granted from Canada as my country of residence have been England in the last few years.

I'll just have to go on a dependent visa, ask for permission
and hope for the best.

Thanks for you replies
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Debezo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2007, 02:44 PM

I came so late...
資格外活動許可(Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted)
28 hours a week.
respective approval has to be acquired at each job change (in dependent visa).
there is no fee for permission.

Immigration Procedures Guidebook
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-8-1.pdf(an application form)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
julielt101 (Offline)
New to JF

05-10-2007, 05:47 PM

DEBEZO:-
Thank you so much for the link.
That is so very kind of you

It will be very useful

Arigato Gozaimasu
Julie