JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
morgan (Offline)
New to JF

Pink Japan? - 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Well, theres no easy way to ask this, so i'm just gonna come out* with it.

Hows Japan on the whole 'gay' issue? My partner and I always travel together and no problems yet, even in islamic countries, i dont specificly hide who i am but i'm not the flag waving variety either.

I know Japan is strong on manners and being polite, and if it saves causing any bother then i dont mind pulling out the 'just friends' card.

*hehehehehe
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2007, 09:21 PM

I don't know,I guess there's discrimination anywhere,but in Japan I guess it's not too much.I'm not sure tough.Anyway,good luck for you and your partner!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-27-2007, 11:05 PM

...Gays r hated in Japan...I learned dat from my parents....trust me they know...cuz they were born in japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsukikage (Offline)
6th div vice

05-27-2007, 11:08 PM

from what iv gathered, being gay in japan is still a bit underground, but i think people are becoming a bit more aware of it and its coming above ground. you shouldnt have any trouble though

Bankai!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

05-27-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post
...Gays r hated in Japan...I learned dat from my parents....trust me they know...cuz they were born in japan
They are also old and out of date, what about the now generation?

Anyone who hates gays is ignorant imo.
Who cares if you're gay, if someone don't like it fuck 'em! (not litterally >.>)

(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-28-2007, 12:48 AM

although it is not that open like the western countries, it is still frowned upon. But there are lots of gay in Japan. But they don't flaunt it, except for some.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

05-28-2007, 03:39 AM

(almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar Samokan) lol

I wouldn't imagine that you would have a problem with it in Japan, as long as you aren't rubbing it in their faces, I sure it'll be fine. Even though most people who are gay keep it a secret. But some flaunt it like Samokan said, I am not sure what would happen then. >_>

oh and one question, why name the thread "Pink Japan?" What does pink have to do with being gay I wonder?? (well, unless a guy wears pink all the time)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Yuri (Offline)
back from outer space :D

Location: near the sun, with the moon..kissing the shooting stars..this is where i am
Send a message via AIM to Yuri Send a message via MSN to Yuri Send a message via Yahoo to Yuri
05-28-2007, 04:07 AM

because pink is considered as a feminin colour and guys who show their admiration for pink are thought of as gay because they love pink, so it is said that gay japanese people obsess with pink when they go to japan and get tons of pink items that are ment for the girls....

the real truth is often the one we dont want to hear
i am the tears that fall, you are the blood on my skin, we are mingled forever again, here we stand, hand in hand, but ill let go when my time has come, time for u to fly alone
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-28-2007, 04:14 AM

In general, no one really cares. One of my husband`s coworkers is gay, and is very open with his boyfriend. Also, two of his classmates over the years were gay, and no one even bullied them. Apparently there was some friendly teasing, but nothing cruel.

People won`t be upset or discriminatory unless you`re not following the normal rules of behavior - straight couples usually don`t go around doing public displays of affection.

All in all, I would say homosexuality is a LOT more accepted in Japan than in a lot of other countries. There is actually a history of if being accepted here, and famous figures in history are recognized as being gay or bisexual.

If that weren`t the case, do you really think there would be so much anime/manga with those sort of themes?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

05-28-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If that weren`t the case, do you really think there would be so much anime/manga with those sort of themes?
I know ! >_< Manga yaoi annoys the crap out of me, especially when it is just fan service, and the characters are actually straight, well anyways, I had imagined that being gay in Japan is more open in other countries, for the reason you just stated. It is one of the first I thought up actually.

Does yaoi mean gay in Japanese?? (I hate being un-educated, I sound ignorant!)