JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Pink Japan? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/4858-pink-japan.html)

morgan 05-27-2007 09:16 PM

Pink Japan?

Well, theres no easy way to ask this, so i'm just gonna come out* with it.

Hows Japan on the whole 'gay' issue? My partner and I always travel together and no problems yet, even in islamic countries, i dont specificly hide who i am but i'm not the flag waving variety either.

I know Japan is strong on manners and being polite, and if it saves causing any bother then i dont mind pulling out the 'just friends' card.

*hehehehehe

Acidreptile 05-27-2007 09:21 PM

I don't know,I guess there's discrimination anywhere,but in Japan I guess it's not too much.I'm not sure tough.Anyway,good luck for you and your partner!

Kaicui 05-27-2007 11:05 PM

...Gays r hated in Japan...I learned dat from my parents....trust me they know...cuz they were born in japan

Tsukikage 05-27-2007 11:08 PM

from what iv gathered, being gay in japan is still a bit underground, but i think people are becoming a bit more aware of it and its coming above ground. you shouldnt have any trouble though

YaksokuDa 05-27-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaicui (Post 140486)
...Gays r hated in Japan...I learned dat from my parents....trust me they know...cuz they were born in japan

They are also old and out of date, what about the now generation?

Anyone who hates gays is ignorant imo.
Who cares if you're gay, if someone don't like it fuck 'em! (not litterally >.>)

samokan 05-28-2007 12:48 AM

although it is not that open like the western countries, it is still frowned upon. But there are lots of gay in Japan. But they don't flaunt it, except for some.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 05-28-2007 03:39 AM

(almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar Samokan) :rolleyes: lol

I wouldn't imagine that you would have a problem with it in Japan, as long as you aren't rubbing it in their faces, I sure it'll be fine. Even though most people who are gay keep it a secret. But some flaunt it like Samokan said, I am not sure what would happen then. >_>

oh and one question, why name the thread "Pink Japan?" What does pink have to do with being gay I wonder?? (well, unless a guy wears pink all the time) :confused:

Yuri 05-28-2007 04:07 AM

because pink is considered as a feminin colour and guys who show their admiration for pink are thought of as gay because they love pink, so it is said that gay japanese people obsess with pink when they go to japan and get tons of pink items that are ment for the girls....

Nyororin 05-28-2007 04:14 AM

In general, no one really cares. One of my husband`s coworkers is gay, and is very open with his boyfriend. Also, two of his classmates over the years were gay, and no one even bullied them. Apparently there was some friendly teasing, but nothing cruel.

People won`t be upset or discriminatory unless you`re not following the normal rules of behavior - straight couples usually don`t go around doing public displays of affection.

All in all, I would say homosexuality is a LOT more accepted in Japan than in a lot of other countries. There is actually a history of if being accepted here, and famous figures in history are recognized as being gay or bisexual.

If that weren`t the case, do you really think there would be so much anime/manga with those sort of themes?

Kanji_The_Wanderer 05-28-2007 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 140574)
If that weren`t the case, do you really think there would be so much anime/manga with those sort of themes?

I know ! >_< Manga yaoi annoys the crap out of me, especially when it is just fan service, and the characters are actually straight, well anyways, I had imagined that being gay in Japan is more open in other countries, for the reason you just stated. It is one of the first I thought up actually.

Does yaoi mean gay in Japanese?? (I hate being un-educated, I sound ignorant!)

jasonbvr 05-28-2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 140562)

oh and one question, why name the thread "Pink Japan?" What does pink have to do with being gay I wonder?? (well, unless a guy wears pink all the time) :confused:

I know, I thought this was going to be about hostess clubs and sopu parlors. Like the city I live in has the infamous "Pink Street" which is full of such places of ill repute.

I am in agreement with the others on this, no one cares.

Nyororin 05-28-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 140577)
Does yaoi mean gay in Japanese?? (I hate being un-educated, I sound ignorant!)

No, it doesn`t.

It basically means "no real point", but only in that specific context.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 05-28-2007 02:49 PM

if it means "no real point" then why use it to stand for men being together? It doesn't make any sense, or am I missing a point....

XjapanFOREVER 05-28-2007 02:55 PM

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE JAPAN, and plan on moving there, but I have this theory that every Asian person is at least bi...... don't get mad, but for the most part it's true... look at Gackt and HYDE..... I'm not putting them down, I love their music, but Gackt has been quoted talking about his "bi"ness... he said "I have the ability ot tell when a man is beautiful, but sexually, I need a woman"....
Now, how can being Gay/Bi be frowned upon when two of the most famous well-known people are hot for each otehr....lol

YaksokuDa 05-28-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER (Post 140837)
Don't get me wrong, i LOVE JAPAN, and plan on moving there, but I have this theory that every Asian person is at least bi...... don't get mad, but for the most part it's true... look at Gackt and HYDE..... I'm not putting them down, I love their music, but Gackt has been quoted talking about his "bi"ness... he said "I have the ability ot tell when a man is beautiful, but sexually, I need a woman"....
Now, how can being Gay/Bi be frowned upon when two of the most famous well-known people are hot for each otehr....lol

Wrong, it depends from person to person not race to race. Unless you have some gay gene or brought up to be gay.
Like I said before, if you're gay don't concern yourself about what others think. Just respect their feelings and don't snog your partner in the middle of Shinjuku. It will be fine. =\

Mattleninja 05-28-2007 04:47 PM

I don't thinking a man being able to appreciate the looks or beauty of another man is at all homosexual, women do it all the time "Oh, she looks pretty" etc.

Personally, I have a bit of a bad habit for openly expressing when I think a guy is good looking, and have been called gay for it a few times.

In Japan, I think it's more acceptable than in Western countries, but why should you worry anyway, you are who you are and anyone who discriminates you for that is just a bigot.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 05-28-2007 05:02 PM

I agree with you Mattleninja, for some reason in Western society, if a man says another man is good looking, or he is handsome, then everyone immediately thinks he is gay. But if a girl says that then that is no big deal. It is strange isn't it, how society around us has decided what is right and wrong. It makes me laugh sometimes....:rolleyes:

Mattleninja 05-28-2007 06:52 PM

To be honest, I could rant on about how society affects us and the media and how a lot of it is because of religion and how we should all denounce religion and re-write the status quo.

But I'm busy so I'll save that for another time.

Kaicui 05-28-2007 07:24 PM

Meh...im just basing my judgement from my parents lol

morgan 05-28-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 140562)
(almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar Samokan) :rolleyes: lol

I wouldn't imagine that you would have a problem with it in Japan, as long as you aren't rubbing it in their faces, I sure it'll be fine. Even though most people who are gay keep it a secret. But some flaunt it like Samokan said, I am not sure what would happen then. >_>

I think its an english term using pink to mean gay, like when companies aim something specifically at the gay market they are trying to get the 'pink pound'. i dunno it is a bit silly.. originally i suppose it would be from when the natzis tattoo'd pink triangles on the gay men to distinguish them.

morgan 05-28-2007 10:19 PM

Thanks for all the informative replies, really usefull!

I have heard of an area called Shinjuku Ni-Chome... does anyone know anything about this??

YaksokuDa 05-28-2007 10:34 PM

I'm not gay and I say/think men can be attractive. I say it if I want to, people don't call me gay for it but if they do... "yeah so?" shuts 'em all up. :D

Nyororin 05-29-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan (Post 141143)
Thanks for all the informative replies, really usefull!

I have heard of an area called Shinjuku Ni-Chome... does anyone know anything about this??

It`s an area with gay bars, gay clubs, gay houses of prostitution, and gay baths... Then there are the new half clubs, etc.

morgan 05-29-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 141312)
It`s an area with gay bars, gay clubs, gay houses of prostitution, and gay baths... Then there are the new half clubs, etc.

Is it aimed more at gay men than women?

I read on a website that its very 'members only' and strangers, especially foreign ones are not welcome.
Could you recommend anywhere? or put me in touch with someone that could?

Nyororin 05-30-2007 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan (Post 142034)

I read on a website that its very 'members only' and strangers, especially foreign ones are not welcome.

I myself am 100% straight, so I don`t really know any details...
I have driven past multiple gay-baths, aimed at men, in this area but I don`t really know of anything for women. I recall there being a television show on where they visited somewhere like that, so they definitely exist.

I think the thing is, with ni-chome and other like places - they`re almost exclusively for hooking up. If you`re here with your partner it might just be better to go around normally. You don`t have to hide out or anything. You could even walk around all day arm in arm, and I doubt anyone would think anything of it.

samokan 05-30-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan (Post 142034)

I am not sure if this is true to all gay bars/sauna/bath all over Japan, but this establishment won't allow straight people inside on there regular days and especially if there is an event. One reason is that, they don't want to offend the straight ones :D. I think it has nothing to do with being foreigners. Both local and foreigners aliked if straight are banned from this establishment. Although some do welcome straight on off-peak days , usually sunday, when there is no event and usually the place is empty . I was able to get in to a gay bar ( but not in Shinjuku ) , because it was a sunday.

Although, when I read the poster on the establishment, I noticed that it was only referring to women, so I think basically straight guys are welcomed:ywave:

YaksokuDa 05-30-2007 10:02 AM

What do you think of Razor Ramen Hard Gay Fooooooo~!?
Since he is like the Japanese Ambassador for Gayness haha even though he has a wife and kids...

Katchan6 05-30-2007 11:16 AM

out of all the times ive been 2 japan ive only seen 1 gay (well lesbian) couple..
lol hav u guys eva heard of sum1 called kabachan?

samokan 05-31-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katchan6 (Post 142523)
out of all the times ive been 2 japan ive only seen 1 gay (well lesbian) couple..
lol hav u guys eva heard of sum1 called kabachan?

yes , Kabachan? he is gay :D ( obviously)

about HG ( hard gay), I don't like him. I think he is stupid :D

YaksokuDa 05-31-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samokan (Post 143208)

about HG ( hard gay), I don't like him. I think he is stupid :D

...I don't like you anymore ¬__¬ Fooooo~!

Katchan6 05-31-2007 11:05 AM

wats Hard Gay?

YaksokuDa 05-31-2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katchan6 (Post 143565)
wats Hard Gay?

YouTube him, funniest shit you'll ever see!

samokan 05-31-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaksokuDa (Post 143536)
...I don't like you anymore ¬__¬ Fooooo~!

that's your problem , not mine.. but still I don't like HG... i never did, and I never will :p

Kaicui 05-31-2007 01:54 PM

U seem to not like alot of people

samokan 06-01-2007 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaicui (Post 143709)
U seem to not like alot of people

was this directed to me??? :confused: :D

if so, I think this is the first time i openly announce that I do not like someone.. who are the other that I don't like?? :D :cool:

Acidreptile 06-01-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaksokuDa (Post 141155)
I'm not gay and I say/think men can be attractive. I say it if I want to, people don't call me gay for it but if they do... "yeah so?" shuts 'em all up. :D

Yeah,why we have to consider only the opposite gender attractive?Beauty is beauty.

Katchan6 06-01-2007 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YaksokuDa (Post 143583)
YouTube him, funniest shit you'll ever see!

lol youtube is the next google
anyway, i youtubed him and... he was kinda scary
ppl were running away from him lol

YaksokuDa 06-01-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samokan (Post 143616)
that's your problem , not mine.. but still I don't like HG... i never did, and I never will :p

You will be converted...you will, you will.

aikochan86 06-08-2007 08:25 AM

Fuuuu~!!

I hearts Haaado Gei. :) Not even children are safe.