JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Need Tokyo travel info? - 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Now that the forum appears to be up and running again, hopefully people will start to come back.

For those of you who are newcomers, and are interested in getting around in Tokyo, please feel free to ask here.

I have lived in Tokyo now for 5 years, and I spend my free time exploring different parts of the city. If you would like information about things to see, trains to use, or hotel recommendations, I would be happy to help you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bobsim (Offline)
New to JF

Smile First timers to Tokyo during winter - 12-22-2014, 04:19 AM

I am 72 years of age and will be visiting Tokyo with my wife this coming January 26 for just 3 days. I had been to Tokyo 15 years ago and hope to revisit with my wife who has never been there. I have booked a hotel in the vicinity of Ueno Station as I found through the internet that there is a train service straight from Narita airport. As we do not have many days there before returning to the Philippines, I hope to receive some recommendations of what we can see and experience there. We are interested in art and culture and parks. And of course we desire to bring back with us some souvenirs for display at our home. Can anyone help me with some advise? Thanks
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2014, 01:22 PM

If you are staying near Ueno, you must visit the Tokyo National Museum, which is next to Ueno park. The museum has many artifacts, from old pottery from the Joemon period, to samurai swords and armor from later times. It also has a great collection of traditional Japanese art.

From Ueno, you can visit Asakusa, which is not far away. Asakusa is home to the Sensoji temple, one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Japan. It is also the best place to buy souvenirs. Near Asakusa is the new Tokyo Skytree tower, you can walk to the skytree, or take a taxi. There are numerous shops and restaurants around the skytree. Next to Asakusa is the Sumida River, and you can take a boat tour to the Odaiba area, which is also interesting to see.

For shopping and eating, you should visit Ginza and Tsukiji. Ginza has many overpriced brand name shops, but it is a good place to watch people, and it is easy to get to. Have lunch at Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji, they have the best sushi for the price, and their service is great, they have menus in English, so you can understand what you are ordering. Walking distance from Tsukiji is Hamarikyu park, which has beautiful gardens, bridges, and a nice tea house, where you can have a cup of hot tea while enjoying a view of the pond.

If you want to hustle and bustle, visit Shibuya. For people watching, it is the best place in Tokyo, and a great place for feeling the energy of the city. Near Shibuya is Yoyogi park, which is very large, and which is home to Meiji Jingu shrine. The park is a great place for photographs, and on weekends there are often musicians performing and dancing.

Tokyo is a great city to see on foot, I recommend getting used to walking at least a couple hours a day before your visit, so you are able to spend a lot of time on your feet. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes and warm clothes. It sometimes snows in January, so be prepared just in case it happens.

Enjoy your trip!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
12-23-2014, 02:45 PM

There are some guides for three day trip in Tokyo.

https://www.google.co.jp/webhp?sourc...20tour%20tokyo

And I recommend some bus tours considering your age.

Tokyo Sightseeing Bus Tours / Official Tokyo Travel Guide GO TOKYO
HATO BUS|English Top

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.