LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ultimaragnarok (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Ultimaragnarok
Going to Japan for work - advice - 07-30-2015, 10:56 AM

Hi all,

Day by day I've been becoming more interested in living in Japan and starting a new life. Currently work as Subsea Engineer in the oil and gas industry and travel the world however I always have to return back the UK. I have no gripes with my job I would prefer to move to Japan to do it.

I always thought about teaching English because its an easy way to start and get used to the life. I'm currently a home owner but I have a excellent property which I can lease out and it can pay off the mortgage while I'm away.

Anyways as for my whole career I am only college diploma level (UK) and don't posses a BA Degree - I have 8 years in the Oil and Gas industry and one of my main requirements of my job is liaising between clients and my managers as I work on site to their requests. I am required to work in teams and by my own as required so I'm very business minded. (Worked with the Chinese Govt. O&G Firm for 2 years in Shenzhen so I know how difficult the cultural differences and communication is.

Right now I want to do a few holidays in Japan and soak myself in to see if I 1. will like it. 2. is it worth risking my established career for an exciting future?

Id love to hear your thought ladies and gents.

Any info would be appreciated
(#2 (permalink))
Old
stingyscoundreljapan (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2015, 01:50 PM

You will probably do much better in japan than most people with your engineering background. I suggest starting with english and then looking at other options. The great thing about teaching is that you have very little responsibility. Its such an easy job. Working in a coporate environment will require you to have a much more formal attitude at work.

Consider bar work also. I did that when I first went to japan. I always got free drinks, met many people and had a chance to learn japanese for free.

Australian living in Japan for over 10 years. I write about budget travel ideas and living cheap in Japan.

My Japan Articles On Hubpages
My Japan Travel Blog
My Google+ Profile
My Facebook Page
My Pinterest Page
Japan Daily Fun Facts
My Youtube Channel
(#3 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

07-30-2015, 01:54 PM

I think there is so much opportunity in Japan for educated people. And Japanese speaking is not always a requirement for high level corporate jobs. I don't think it's a risk to your career at all. If you want to keep your career in that industry in Japan, I suggest you start networking job opportunities before you go.

Australian living in Japan for over 10 years. I write about budget travel ideas and living cheap in Japan.

My Japan Travel Blog
My Google+ Profile
My Facebook Page
My Pinterest Page
Japan Daily Fun Facts
My Youtube Channel
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ultimaragnarok (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Ultimaragnarok
07-31-2015, 08:03 AM

Thanks for getting back Stingy.

When I say looking for work in that sector I really mean working for a company like Japex/Enpex and become a drilling consultant. Positions like this are incredibly highly sought and need people for relevant experience 1. in the field 2. Can speak and report in the local language. This would be very viable to their Australian campaigns.

English sounds awesome. I don't really care about the hours. Can I do both that and the bar work (Bar work Part time) I had experience of this in my later teens when I was still an apprentice to make up for the lack of pay and Im also a part time DJ with over 11 years of practice behind that.

Right now I just want to nail the learning Japanese to a degree where I can converse and write basic reports which can bridge me to Japanese and non Japanese clients.

I see a lot of bad press about people who say these places over work you. 40 hours to me is normal - I do 84 per week when offshore on a drilling rig.

I assume thats why the Gaijin who stay on for the rest of their life are the ones that put the work in.

Osaka is one of the places of my interest. I want to avoid Tokyo 32 million pop is too much for a small city boy like me to live in. Is Osaka cheaper? than the other cities?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

07-31-2015, 12:56 PM

Gaijins are pretty lazy in japan. I don't think they get over worked. I used to work in the bar from 11pm to 3am. then get up at 10am and go to teach English by 11am when i first started in japan. It was hell. But fun at the same time. There are many afternoon to evening English jobs. Its quite possible to hold down a few part time jobs. Will you be coming on a working holiday visa?

Best way to learn is to study and practice in Japan. You will learn so much quicker.

Good luck. Message me any time for tips.

My Japan Travel Blog
My Google+ Profile
My Facebook Page
My Pinterest Page
Japan Daily Fun Facts
My Youtube Channel
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
08-01-2015, 02:57 AM

Contact with these companies and find the job situations in Japan.

https://job.japantimes.com/index_e.php
https://www.daijob.com/en/
Jobs in Japan

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.