JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Rosehipsoup (Offline)
New to JF

First time Japan trekker & packing issues. - 06-19-2007, 11:14 PM

Hello forum, my name is Johan.

In a couple of weeks I will be heading out to fullfill a dream of mine, a dream which ofc is Japan. However, seeing as this is my first trip there or for that matter my first trip alone, I have a some questions.

I will at first be traveling from the 9th of july to the 27th of july with a tour group. I figured that since im all alone it would be a good way to meet some ppl and get to grip with some small parts of the japanese comunity.
After that I guess ill be living at some ryokans and simmilar untill the 19th of august. Since Id love to meet new ppl, do you more expirienced ppl have any sudgestions?

Also I got some minor problems planning the packing when it comes to safety. Im getting a cammera and id love to update my facebook and such but is it wise of me to drag my laptop with me? Ill be using a 75 Liter backpack so space aint the issue.

As for traveling... I have read abit about Railpass but even though i will ofc buy one, I am given to understand that they only last max 3 weeks and that you can only buy them outside japan. I will be there for quite abit more than 3 weeks so that would be abit of an issue...

Thankfull for any friendly reply.

P.S. Hopefully i will have learned abit of basic civility in japanese before i go ^^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-20-2007, 12:35 AM

I wouldn't do the ryokans on a regular basis. That is going to get expensive. And if you stay in just about any hostel in Japan they are going to have a computer with internet access to use for a reasonable price so that takes care of the laptop question.

The railpass thingy, you will purchase a voucher when you are overseas. Once in Japan you are going to take the voucher to one of the offices in like Tokyo or where ever and they will give you the pass there. So the pass will not be activated until you turn in the voucher which if you notify them when you will be using the voucher should be valid up till then.

I may or may not be here in August, but if I am will be doing a bit of sightseeing myself so be sure to drop me a line. Ganbattene!