JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

Send a message via MSN to Maku
06-22-2007, 05:42 AM

Wait, does that mean that the GB pound is doubly stronger, if £1 = ¥247?

That must be really annoying if you keeping building up ¥1 coins >.<

"Mossad knows what my Aunt Judy eats for breakfast."
Jack West Jr.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-22-2007, 05:46 AM

well i would assume there is a place to exchange them for bills or coins of larger value?

coinstar
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

06-22-2007, 05:50 AM

Well, you never know, even carrying a bunch of them to a Coinstar or something similar can be a pain.
I would probably do what I do now with coppers, stick them in a jar or something then replace them with something of a higher value when there's a large amount.

Jack West Jr.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-22-2007, 05:55 AM

yeah or you could superglue them to the floor and see who tries to pick them up
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

06-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Yeh but knowing me I'd probably superglue them to the floor, forget I did it and try to pick them up again.

Jack West Jr.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-22-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maku View Post
Wait, does that mean that the GB pound is doubly stronger, if £1 = ¥247?

That must be really annoying if you keeping building up ¥1 coins >.<
No, it doesn't mean it's doubly stronger, for the exact same reason that the dollar isn't a hundred times stronger than the yen. This is called nominal exchange rate - it would APPEAR that the Great British Pound is twice as strong as a dollar, but that's not quite the case.

What you want is the the real exchange rate (RER). I only took one beginners course in macroeconomics, so here's the definition off Wikipedia

The real exchange rate (RER) is an important concept in economics, though it is quite difficult to grasp concretely. It is defined by the model: RER = e(P*/P), where 'e' is the exchange rate, as the number of home currency units per foreign currency unit; where P is the price level of the home country; and where P* is the foreign price level.

See more here -> Exchange rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Maku (Offline)
Not a happy bunny.

06-22-2007, 06:23 AM

Ah, I understand now.

Jack West Jr.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2008, 03:40 AM

A friend of mine who is sort of vegan (no fish, meat products or eggs, but fine with milk and cheese) survived fine in Japan - but it can be hard to find a place to eat and can be more expensive. She ate a lot of Italian food, which of course is a lot more expensive than the local stuff. Most of the restaurants that I went to didn't have any vegetarian friendly options. But as long as you're not too fussy and keep in mind that you might have to look a bit harder to find a decent place to eat, it's definitely possible to survive.

I stayed in a great hostel in Tokyo for 3000 yen per night, I'd imagine there would be similar places around other major cities for similar prices. The staff were pretty nice with suggestions of good (and cheap!) places to go and things to do, so it's worth talking to the people you meet.

If you're traveling to heaps of different cities then the JR Pass is great. Just remember it might not be so useful for traveling within a city, since a lot of the trains there aren't JR. But if you're going on a lot of bullet train rides it saves heaps.

In the cities I found that we could easily walk the distance of one train stop in 15 minutes or so, which was fun for exploring. Doesn't help if you're going somewhere far away, but our hotels usually seemed to require us to catch one train for one stop, then switch to another train system from there, so it saved us that 130yen each trip for the first train.

Oh and try checking the websites for the hostels and places you're going! I printed some coupon from the website of the place we went skiing in Karuizawa even though it was all in Japanese and I had no idea what it was for, and we ended up getting discounted gear hire and lift pass and a free lunch.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts

Last edited by ChisaChi : 07-04-2008 at 03:45 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapDeVilla View Post
Nehmen Sie gute software mit Preisermaessigung, sofort!
OEMs sind fuer alle europaeische Sprachen - Englisch, Franzoesisch, Italienisch, Spanisch, Deutsch.

etc. etc.

Katalog preise
Das ist ganz zu viel SPAM für dieses Forum
(#30 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-09-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spodletela View Post
With my girlfriend we are getting ready to travel to Japan for one month. We are coming from Slovenia (EU), but we are not really a rich country (former Yugoslavian republic), so i want to make an """investigation""" about expenses if we travel on a low budget (i dont want to sell a car when we come back )...

Has someone travel there with Japan Rail Pass and sleep in a hotels/whatever that are as cheap as possible but still not like 50 km from city centers? Can you please tell me how many yens/euros/dollars you spent for living? (we wont be staying on one place for more then 2 days, probably moving around all the time, so any advice how to find cheap sleeping place fast is more then welcome)

The second question is a little bit exotic; is it possible to "survive" in Japan without eating meat, eggs or fish?

Thank you for response...

The best advice I can give to is get lodging and combined travel packages, you get pretty good discounts that.

Other then that I don't know how to budget money in Japan. I always seem to spend too much money here no matter what I do. There’s lots of cool stuff here to do. If you need to buy any necessities while you are here, I would suggest shopping at a 100 Yen shop..