LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MonStar0 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to MonStar0
Thinking of traveling to Japan... - 06-25-2007, 02:47 AM

Ok, here's the senerio;

My boyfriend wants to take me to Japan because I'd LOVE to go there at least once in my life. My boyfriend lived in Japan for a while when he was younger, so he obviously knows more about the language and culture than I do.
My problem: I really don't want to act like a tottal air-headed tourist. I am trying to learn some of the language, but I know that I will stick out like a sore thumb (as I'm 6'2'', female, with multi-colored hair and very american looking). I just don't want to be a burden to him while we're there. ~_~

Any advise??

(#2 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
but I know that I will stick out like a sore thumb (as I'm 6'2'', female, with multi-colored hair and very american looking). I just don't want to be a burden to him while we're there. ~_~
Well, for a start, you could shrink yourself to 5'4", de-colored your hair to plain old black, and turn yourself to very asian looking.....

Just kidding! LOL. On a serious note, you will stick out like a sore thumb. But that can't be help unless you really change your outlook appearance. But since you are 6'2", even if you are asian looking, you will stick out. But you should be proud of your own appearance and never allow such things to bother you. You are what you are and certain things really can't be help.

On the bright side, if you happen to get separated from your boyfriend in the busy Shinjuku train station, he will be able to spot you, even from afar.....

Hokkaido e ikitai........

Last edited by enyafriend : 06-25-2007 at 07:17 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Kittenx (Offline)
Little Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kittenx Send a message via MSN to Kittenx
06-25-2007, 02:21 PM

So everyone is really short in Japan? I'm like 6 foot too x.x

But, I think you'd attract attention but not a bad attention. And, alotta Japanese people have crazy hair styles, so I dun think you'd have to worry too much about that.

You're lucky to have a boyfriend who's been there before. =3 Hope you have fun!

Click The Banner For My Forum!!!

Visualkeistar ish my Kitten!
ilovedaisuke7's Ish my sister!
Burukuu I'm her fishy!
Himechan I'm her fishy too!
Miyavifan I'm her fishy since I get around alot =)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DXL (Offline)
JF Regular

06-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Go, be yourself, learn some basic phrases, you'll be fine, ofcourse you'll stick out if you arent Japanese/Asian.

When I was there, I didnt let it bother me, I was obviously a tourist, no matter what i did I couldnt hide that fact or me cos I'm 6 ft 4, 230lbs and black
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MonStar0 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to MonStar0
06-26-2007, 03:29 AM

It's not soo much that I'm worried about sticking out, I'm more worried about what I should know in basic information so that I won't be constantly asking my boyfriend for help. lol I just don't want to be there and say "Hey, what does this mean? and this? and this? Oh, and this?"
See what I mean?