JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
Commix (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2008, 09:57 PM

I'm black but don't consider myself to be afraid of traveling to a different country cause of racial issues.
You shouldn't let things like this stop you from doing what u wanna do.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-28-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commix View Post
I'm black but don't consider myself to be afraid of traveling to a different country cause of racial issues.
You shouldn't let things like this stop you from doing what u wanna do.
You can honestly say that you weren't the tiniest bit curious as to how blacks are treated in other countries where they're like the minority minority? It won't stop me from wanting to travel, but I still can't help but be curious about it, or how we could be possibly perceived there.

It's like my Osakan friend. We were talking about stereotypes, and she said, in Japan, seems that they all expect black women to look like Beyonce and for black guys to be either rappers or athletes.
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Meta77 (Offline)
JF Regular

01-29-2008, 04:18 AM

Yea its not so much that i bring it on myself. Ive just been around racist people a lot in my life but i wish people would just get over themselves. Racism ruined a lot of things in my past but im not going to let idiots ruin my future.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
Hey4Horses (Offline)
Soul Music Revolution!

01-29-2008, 04:38 AM

I'm mixed (blk/white/native amer) and thought of the same thing briefly but my hot asian guy radar deters me from these thoughts! hahaha

I am what I am and that's all that I am! -Popeye

Some Japanese (other foreigners) probably have this issue when coming to the US as well so you are not alone! You won't know til you try!

Khalil Fong is my man!
(#105 (permalink))
Old
Commix (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
You can honestly say that you weren't the tiniest bit curious as to how blacks are treated in other countries where they're like the minority minority?
I suppose i did but i tend not to think about it much tbh.
(#106 (permalink))
Old
Ayame90 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Even though i have Frebch-Creole, Irish and Cherokee Indian in me i'm still considered to be black, anyway no one now is just one thing.

The pic added goes to the ones whose ideas are in a box, to the ones who don't give respect to the one who doesn't fit in that box, stereotying one as I am. You'll soon learn your mistake in not getting the chance, because of Your Error to get to know as others have gotten to know, love, respect, and appreciate me for who I am and not for what you aim to make me.

あしゅり
のえる
(#107 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

02-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Yeah... my race always perturbs me. I think I will follow through with my travel interests, anyway.

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#108 (permalink))
Old
Sphinx01 (Offline)
light seduced by darkness

02-09-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta77 View Post
Yea its not so much that i bring it on myself. Ive just been around racist people a lot in my life but i wish people would just get over themselves. Racism ruined a lot of things in my past but im not going to let idiots ruin my future.

As a fellow Black I say good for u, as I intend to take my trip later this year as well ...And don't worry, for the most part everyone else is write about the fact that the most u'll get is a few akward glances...at the most...at least that's what my cousin said, and she lives in Japan

I offer you my pride and my dreams, have them all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HVlAUIboWU
(#109 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-09-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx01 View Post
As a fellow Black I say good for u, as I intend to take my trip later this year as well ...And don't worry, for the most part everyone else is write about the fact that the most u'll get is a few akward glances...at the most...at least that's what my cousin said, and she lives in Japan
Every obvious foreigner gets those glances. I'm white and numerous times I saw Japanese kids stare at me and point while tugging on their mom's hand, like they'd spotted a ghost or a monster. I'd just wave and say hi...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#110 (permalink))
Old
Sphinx01 (Offline)
light seduced by darkness

02-09-2008, 01:07 AM

Hmmm..is that so?

I offer you my pride and my dreams, have them all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HVlAUIboWU