JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
bongpb (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo 4 days Trip - 09-29-2008, 08:46 AM

I will be going to Japan in Nov 08 with my wife and 2 kids aged 10 and 11. I have planned my itinery as follows (to spend 4 days in Tokyo) :

Day 1 : Tokyo City Tours : I would like to visit Imperial Palace, Sensoji Temple, Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, Rainbow Bridge.

I am getting confused as I know there are many places to visit in Tokyo, however, I only have limited time to those places. Can someone please suggest a good itinary for me for the Tokyo City Tours to those must visit places. (Note : I will be staying in Shiba)

Day 2 : Tokyo Disney land. Where can I visit after Tokyo Disneyland ?

Day 3 : Tokyo DisneySea. Where can I visit after Tokyo Disneysea so not to repeat my day 1 and day 2 trip.

Day 4 : Day trip to Hakone Park. As I will be taking Romancecar from Shinjuku, will be shopping at Shinjuku that evening.

Kindly help me to plan my route to visit Tokyo and also what type of ticket to purchase on these 4 days ?

Thanks and Regards
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongpb View Post
I will be going to Japan in Nov 08 with my wife and 2 kids aged 10 and 11. I have planned my itinery as follows (to spend 4 days in Tokyo) :

Day 1 : Tokyo City Tours : I would like to visit Imperial Palace, Sensoji Temple, Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, Rainbow Bridge.

I am getting confused as I know there are many places to visit in Tokyo, however, I only have limited time to those places. Can someone please suggest a good itinary for me for the Tokyo City Tours to those must visit places. (Note : I will be staying in Shiba)

Day 3 : Tokyo DisneySea. Where can I visit after Tokyo Disneysea so not to repeat my day 1 and day 2 trip.

Day 4 : Day trip to Hakone Park. As I will be taking Romancecar from Shinjuku, will be shopping at Shinjuku that evening.

Kindly help me to plan my route to visit Tokyo and also what type of ticket to purchase on these 4 days ?

Thanks and Regards
Odaiba is a good place, or jet over to Yokohama, which is also great at night
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SGTOkinawa (Offline)
JF Regular

Thumbs up 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Looks like a good plan, you'll be fine, don't worry, you are not the first people to take a vacation to Japan.

relax and enjoy... just being there is half the fun!

Have fun, good luck!

Peace! (Hewa!)

SGT_Okinawa

U.S. Army Retired
38 years old
Married w/2 kids
Virginia, USA

(#4 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
09-29-2008, 06:52 PM

for your tour: look into Hato Bus, they do a pretty good tour which comes with an included meal. The Panaramic Tokyo one is good, it goes to some of the spots on your list. They do pick up/drop off service too from most hotels.

as far as tokyo disney goes, its about 25mins away from tokyo in chiba and theres not too many touristy attractions around. for shopping there is an outlet mall in kaihinmakuhari that is pretty nice...but not much for kids to do.

yokohama is a cool destination but thats opposite direction from disney.

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks and Regards
I think that is too much for Day 1, and I am not sure what you want to find at Rainbow Bridge.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

09-30-2008, 04:13 AM

After Disneyland and Disney Sea there is a big aquarium at the next station down from there - a fantastic place to chill out a little after the madness of Disney.

I'm not sure what you want to do after? Are you meaning eating out or activities?

Have you check out the Hato bus tours that are available - it might be the best way to get to see all the things you mention you want to do in the city itself? The link is HATO BUS|English Top

Hope this helps

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-30-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Odaiba is a good place, or jet over to Yokohama, which is also great at night
Ah yeah, Odaiba is good. Be sure to check out the Fuji TV station if you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure what you want to find at Rainbow Bridge.
A pot of gold haha
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-01-2008, 10:55 AM

MMM is right, your first day is too busy. Cut your Disney visits short and visit Disney sea only. The Disneyland is identical to the other Disney parks around the world, if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. Disney Sea is more scenic, more roomy, and a better atmosphere than Disneyland. Don't miss the "Big Band Beat" show.

Getting to either Disney park is easy, you take the Keiyo line train from Tokyo Station to Maihama station. Just follow the people wearing Disney shirts, shoes, popcorn carriers, pins, card holders, etc.

Seeing the Imperial Palace takes only an hour or two. It takes only a few minutes to take pics of the gate, moat, and bridges from the outside, and about an hour to view the gardens inside.

I wouldn't bother with Tokyo Tower, you can see panoramic views of the city from other places. If you haven't booked a hotel yet, the Tobu Levant (formerly the Tokyo Marriot Hothel) hotel in Tokyo has a restaurant on the top floor with an impressive view as well, and it is reasonably priced. It's only a few stops away from Tokyo station on the Sobu line.

The Sensoji is a must see, and Asakusa (which surrounds the temple) offers a maze of shops, sights, and sounds which will give you a good taste of the culture. You can take the Yamanote train line to Ueno station (Ueno is another "must see" it's home to the National Museum, zoo, and Western Art Museum), and connect to the Asakusa subway line there.

The romance car is a good way to get to Hakone, but I would prefer to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Odowara, and then take the Hakone line train or bus into the mountains. The earlier you can do the trip, the better. The usual routine is the bus/train ride to Miyanoshita, then the ropeway/cable car trip to the lake, a boat across the lake, and then the bus back to Odowara. This can be done in one day, allowing time for shopping and lunch.

To get to Odaiba, take the Yamanote train from Tokyo station to Shinbashi station. Then you switch to the Yurikamome line, which will take you over the Rainbow Bridge and drop you off in front of either Palette Town (home of the giant Ferris wheel), or by the Aqualand shopping center. Have lunch at Kua Aina, home of the world's best (I kid you not) hamburger.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
bongpb (Offline)
New to JF

10-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Sangetsu, Thanks for your advice. I thought of going to Odaiba after my DisneySea trip in the evening ( I was told I should be able to complete my DisneySea visit rather early). My I know how do I go from Maihama to Odabai ? Can I take the Yurikomome train for the sight seeing (including the rainbow bridge) from Maihama ? If not, what is the best way to go there and how much time needed ? Thanks !
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Sangetsu, Thanks for your advice. I thought of going to Odaiba after my DisneySea trip in the evening ( I was told I should be able to complete my DisneySea visit rather early). My I know how do I go from Maihama to Odabai ? Can I take the Yurikomome train for the sight seeing (including the rainbow bridge) from Maihama ? If not, what is the best way to go there and how much time needed ? Thanks !
I would go to Odaiba in the morning and then see Disney Sea in the evening. Disney has a special "Starlight" pass for afternoon/evening visitors which costs less than a regular full day pass. Disney Sea usually has an evening show on the bay with lots of fireworks and pyrotechnics, so you won't want to miss that.

To get from Odaiba to Maihama you would take the Yurikamome line to Toyosu station. From there you can take the Yurakocho line to Shin Kiba station. You can catch either the Keiyo line or the Mushashino line at Shin Kiba, both will take you to Maihama.

The commute from Odaiba to Maihama takes about 30 minutes, depending on how long you have to wait between trains.

Which hotel are you staying at?