LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

07-30-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Agreed, bowing is a must, ignore any advice you may have heard saying not to attempt it because you would do it wrong as a gaijin.

A nod of the head here is not the same there, focus on your shoulders not your stomach and you'll do just fine. Return what you are given is what I used as rule of thumb. I got use to bowing after any transaction.

Took me a week to stop doing it once I got home

Thank you I was wondering cuz they did tell me Gaijin wernt suppose to bow. But i guess thats wrong.Actually I once Bowed to my dad on accident then he asked why I bowed and said thank you at the same time. I looked at him strange and said " I didnt bow" but apperently I did LOL
(#102 (permalink))
Old
JojoBizarre (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2009, 08:13 PM

Wow thanks you very much... I will have to print that page and learn it before going to japan next May.

Blame the others!
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-04-2009, 09:45 PM

Mind if I throw in few for the ladies?
I can't say these are universal but just things I observed and might be of interest. Some of it's just basic common sense.

1) For the young and bold flashing a ridiculous amount of leg is seemingly completely fine. Have a skirt that resembles a handkerchief? Go ahead, but remember to sit with your legs together and think hard about cycling if you can't do it with your knees glued together. However, just like at home, it's not work wear and it's not a 'suave mature lady' image either. (see 5)

2) Belly flashing, on the other hand, seems to come across as little more than screaming 'I am easy' in neon lights. Especially combined with 1) though swimwear, obviously, is ok in the right place. I can only recall seeing a few local girls wearing belly tops and they were clearly 'that type'. Fashions might change but until you're sure, play it safe and cover up or like my poor unsuspecting roommate, maybe prepare yourself for some nasty looks.

3) On that note; spaghetti strap vest tops. Glorious in the hot weather and whilst not totally a faux pas... well, there may well be whispers and comments, especially if you're a well-furnished girl. As one excited young thing proclaimed, "Man, you foreign girls, it's like.. 'Bu-boop!' all over the place! " Make of that what you will.

4) Ditto not wearing a bra. Unless you're bundled up, people WILL notice and it will not be a joke in your favor. It's also excruciatingly embarrassing for your friends even if you don't care.

5) Back to mini-skirts. If you're at all non-japanese in appearance, you're going to garner a little more attention than other faces in a crowd, even if you're wearing a figureless sack-dress. Dressing skimpily will only crank this up four-fold. Also, dress for the group, especially if you don't know them well. Always better to be considered a little conservative than a shameless hussy.

6) Bum cleavage is unflattering in any country. Buy a damn belt. (Boys, that one's for you too.)

7) On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as clothes/shoes that are 'too impractical' and if you're young there's a longer leash on the 'too weird' spectrum. So that one is up to you.

and lastly a unisex one-

If you're living or staying with a Japanese family, invest in a pair of pajamas if you don't usually wear them.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2009, 12:08 AM

So, as long as it isn't flashy, casual clothing is acceptable? Like a t-shirt and shorts/jeans?
(#105 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2009, 02:47 AM

Depending on where you will be wearing it, yes, casual clothing is fine. Japanese people don't wear suits everywhere, only if they are going to work in an office.
(#106 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
So, as long as it isn't flashy, casual clothing is acceptable? Like a t-shirt and shorts/jeans?
Yeah, as someone else says, that's just fine. It's more the cut of the cloth than the colour or what it is. EG This is ok: http://www.bjoyclothing.com/images/photos/tanktop.jpg

This is probably not so ok:http://www.chrisabraham.com/tina-fey-tank-top.jpg
(#107 (permalink))
Old
ThaDuke (Offline)
Lord Hades

08-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Great topic! I have certainly learned a lot from it.

What is a gaijin?

The Death and Resurrection

of a Dark Ruler
(#108 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

08-05-2009, 10:43 PM

Gai 外 Outside Jin 人 Person

...or in simpler terms, someone who is not Japanese. However, in fact, it's better to use gaikokujin, which mean outside country person, since gaijin can mean any sort of outside person depending on context. I have often heard old people here refer to those outside to Kansai area, especially those from Tokyo, as gaijin.
(#109 (permalink))
Old
ThaDuke (Offline)
Lord Hades

08-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Thank you for breaking that down for me, Tsuwabuki.

Also, I was also wondering what the current exchange rate is for dollars to yen.

The Death and Resurrection

of a Dark Ruler
(#110 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Yeah, as someone else says, that's just fine. It's more the cut of the cloth than the colour or what it is. EG This is ok: http://www.bjoyclothing.com/images/photos/tanktop.jpg

This is probably not so ok:http://www.chrisabraham.com/tina-fey-tank-top.jpg
Thanks for the response and advice.