JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

09-21-2007, 03:31 PM

I have a question that you may not know the answer to so I'm hoping you can find out.

Next month I'll start traveling to Japan on a regular basis. I'll be staying in Ginza. I want to frequent some of the Guitar shops in one of Tokyo's outlying areas (the name eludes me at the moment)

My question is whether or not it is proper for a customer to simply take a guitar off the wall and start playing it. This is very normal in the US. Some times people will ask for a salespersons assistance (especially if the guitar is stored up high) but usually customers can just help themselves.

Japan is known for building some very good electric guitars (especially at the FujiGen factory) they have a build quality that is at lease equal to Gibson (the top American builder) I want to buy some of those great Japanese guitars that aren't available in the states (Japanese Fenders, Tokai, Edwards) These are usually a lot more affordable than their American counterparts. Some, such as the Fender Jaguar, are highly desirable in the States.

I know it is a rather specific question, so I understand if you don't know. If you know anyone that does know, can you please ask?

Thanks in advance...
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
09-24-2007, 05:06 AM

in fact i went Guitar shopping with Shibuya with my friend Cinthia, she needed to buy one for her boy friend.

You must ask before you touch and take a guitar off the wall.

some of them are extremely expensive and they can not risk some one dropping them.

Especially if they are a gaijin, they fear that they wont be able to understand them and not pay for them.

If you want to look *like in most stores* ask first.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2007, 05:27 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking, and had been in music store in Osaka, and saw Japanese guys plugging in and playing, but that was always with an employee present.

As a gaij, I always ask before I do anything in an unfamiliar location.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

09-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Good deal, thanks for the heads up.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Legat0 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Legat0
09-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Wow, I wish I had read all these tips before going to Japan. I learned it from watching other people closely as to what they do. Just keep your eyes open in Japan and you'll know what to do and how to do it. But reading these tips, you are better prepared

'I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.' -Mahatma Ghandi
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM

just reviving the thread =) *bump*

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

(#47 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

keeeyaw bump

MR.JF & Jf God

(#48 (permalink))
Old
Lyric (Offline)
New to JF

01-08-2008, 01:03 AM

If you don't mind me asking, do you know anything about Ohtaki?
(#49 (permalink))
Old
SailorBratt18 (Offline)
grrrr to you too buddy!

01-08-2008, 01:41 AM

thanks for posting this thread!!! This really helps since I'll be going to Japan this summer! Please post more when you get the chance!

as small as a world and as large as alone

~+MeMbEr Of ThE VaMpIrE cLaN+~
(#50 (permalink))
Old
danslak (Offline)
JF Regular

01-08-2008, 03:57 AM

Housetek, you should put all of this in book form. Seriously. While there are a few books out there on etiquette, you definitely has your own slant on things. Especially for younger travelers (never read anything about arcades and guitar shops before!) There are quite a few publishers who I would think would be interested in this. Something to think about.