JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-09-2008, 11:09 AM

its my pleasure!

i remember wanting to go to Tokyo so bad, and not knowing what to do and feeling very shy at first about every thing.

I want every one to go to japan and feel like they fit in and act in a manner that gives a better reputations for gaijins every where.

Japan is a very welcoming country, and the less you have to worry about etiquette the more time you can spend having fun!

ill be sure to really get on my Video guides. cuz i know its a very long read.

once i get situated back in the states, ill be posting a lot more.

also i have to cancle my japan trips for this summer cuz i have to go to vietnam again for business

Thank you all for the positive comments!

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#52 (permalink))
Old
SiSick (Offline)
New to JF

01-12-2008, 03:13 AM

Hurry up and post more ^__^
I love this topic, it's so helpful.
Little things like this is what you really need when traveling to another country.
Thanks dude for writing these guides. Very helpful!
Peace!
....Sai
(#53 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-17-2008, 02:48 PM

i remember when i played initial D in the US people would put their cards on the machine to say they were next. definitely doesnt happen here.

saying itadakimasu and gochisousama isnt necessary everywhere you go. i always go to matsuya and i've noticed only a few people say gochisousama when they leave. maybe cuz its matsuya...haha

if you go to the shadier parts of town like kabukicho or shin-okubo dont look around like youre lost. the hookers and guys who are advertising their clubs will flock to you...whether u like it or not. im japanese so maybe thats why...not sure when it comes to non-asian looking people.

youre not supposed to smoke while walking but i see millions of people doing it anyway. im looking for a portable ashtray so i dont litter.

when youre boarding a train in japan, especially tokyo, wait near the sides of the doors so that the people coming out can get out easily. i had to yank my bro out of the way cuz he was just standing there like a fool. also dont sit near the doors...even if youre tired. this may seem obvious but ive seen some stupid gyaru girls blocking the way. someone even said 'youre fat' to one of them. hahaha

and if the train is packed and youre near the doors...be prepared to be pushed out even if its not your stop. people need to get out.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Mustamad (Offline)
New to JF

01-20-2008, 12:57 PM

Hi Houstek, i find your tips extremely useful.

I might go to Japan, Osaka to visit an aunt staying there in a few weeks depending on my cousin's reply. I was wondering if they have guided tours at places of interest over there as in tour guides that speaks decent english. Also would it be possible to be given guided tours when one's visiting a school, college or University? Sort of touring a school and observe the going ons and happenings in the campus. Also is it possible to buy a Gakuran from a school as a souvenir?

your reply is appreaciated
(#55 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-20-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustamad View Post
Hi Houstek, i find your tips extremely useful.

I might go to Japan, Osaka to visit an aunt staying there in a few weeks depending on my cousin's reply. I was wondering if they have guided tours at places of interest over there as in tour guides that speaks decent english. Also would it be possible to be given guided tours when one's visiting a school, college or University? Sort of touring a school and observe the going ons and happenings in the campus. Also is it possible to buy a Gakuran from a school as a souvenir?

your reply is appreaciated
I don't know about Osaka, but Wakayama Prefecture just south of Osaka had such tour guides. I became very good friends with this group while I was there, and they helped me to learn Japanese and we joked that I gave them a chance to practice their English (which was already excellent) for use with "real gaijin" when they guide them around. Basically, they'd take me someplace they hadn't visited too many times themselves in order to practice their phrases, learn just what to say at various places and how best to say it, etc. I was glad to help, and I got free tour guides to quite a few places out of it, so it worked out great.

Here's their website, contact them if you head south to Wakayama-ken, or maybe they can put you in contact with some Osaka counterparts, if there are some (I'd be a bit surprised if there weren't). http://wixas.or.jp/ewixas/eindex.htm

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Gabcom (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Wow, thanks for posting these tips and stuff, I've been twice and I know barely any of these things, or I just don't really notice it. I'll definitely read this again prior to when I hopefully leave for Japan with my friends after we finish High school.

The eating sushi thing was really weird, and completely different from what I first thought it to be. I went to a sushi bar with my host family in Osaka, and everything, EVERYTHING was soo unexpected, I just never thought it would be like that. My "dad" was eating sushi with his hands, and I just couldn't get used to that, so I think I ended up using my chopsticks. The dunking upside down thing was also really weird, but made sense when I thought about it haha.
Ohh the one-bite thing.. I wish I knew that before I went hahaha. I don't remember, but I probably thought it was more polite that I don't shove my face and eat it in one bite = =".

Btw, where did your nickname "housetek" originate from? I'm just curious.

Last edited by Gabcom : 01-28-2008 at 01:01 PM.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Sachiko (Offline)
*waves*

01-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Oh my gosh!!!
Thank you so very much for creating this thread!!!
All of the tips you've posted are of great help to me as this December my work is sending me over to Japan which I'm really excited about!!
I especially liked the tips on food ettiquette.
OOOOh!!!I can't wait!

Thank you Housetek, this is very helpful!
^_^

sure has been a while...
(#58 (permalink))
Old
SleeplesS (Offline)
New to JF

Ty - 02-10-2008, 04:33 PM

Wow,
thank you for posting all of this useful information. I didnt know the custom when paying Oo, thanks.

"Living means searching, and a good live requires a good search."
Page in Akiba@deep, the movie
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

02-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Why do you not use soy sauce on white rice?

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
02-10-2008, 05:02 PM

it really depends on what your eating, but thats what i was told by my friends mother. =P
im not exactly sure of the explanation thats just what every one tells me lol

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan