JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
lpdirufangirl09 (Offline)
Gaijin Zombie Hero

Send a message via AIM to lpdirufangirl09
My Plan for Japan =] - 08-04-2007, 02:51 AM

today i was playing around on my new phone. it has a tip calculator. i had recently looked up ticket prices to go from my town to Tokyo, round trip. about $1000. i put it in and went to 'split' out of curiosity. what i found out: when i start working, if i save $125-200 a month for 7-8 months, i could have enough money to go to Japan. i haven't brought it up to my mom but, oh i will. but, as of now, i have no one to go with and would NOT want to go alone. any advice, suggestions, or things i may wanna do in preparation?

I'll bloom as the poison flower
and become the flower that blooms again.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
ButterflyDemise (Offline)
喜悦

08-04-2007, 02:58 AM

I have a few tips and suggestions:

-Pack light!! (I think this is the first tip always given, but trust me.. unless you're being picked up in a car, you don't want to pack more than one small-medium suitcase)
-make sure you have a good chunk of money extra (for shopping and such of course). Trust me, you'll see a million things you'll want. (haha)
-Also bring a good chunk of money for the trams, phones, vending machines, etc. (Emergencies of course as well! I suggest keeping at least $100-$200 aside)
-Grab a map.. or even two in English & Japanese. It'll help a lot of you get lost or you're trying to find one place in particular. (Duh! Right? haha)
-Quite a few people I ran into spoke at least a pinch of English, so don't be too worried about that.. but still best to know some basics in case you get turned around.
-learn the words associated with hotels, numbers, and trams! ..all I could do was point at my ticket and look around to indicate I was looking for the exact station. (Though you'll catch on quickly if you have someone show you how to work the machines and lines a few times)
-Make sure you have everything planned from where you're staying to how you're going to get everywhere/how much money you'll be spending everywhere.

I don't have many other tips/suggestions.. but i'm sure others will give you more and even better ones. Take care~ I hope your plans go well dear.

"Even if a leapord sleeps at the end of your bed like a kitten, it still has the power to tear out your throat."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gaijin Zombie Hero

08-04-2007, 03:00 AM

thanks!! that's some stuff i didn't even think of o.o

(#4 (permalink))
Old
喜悦

08-04-2007, 03:01 AM

Glad I was able to help ^^ Sadly I learned a few things the hard way.. but oh well. I'll post more if I think of more important ones.

"Even if a leapord sleeps at the end of your bed like a kitten, it still has the power to tear out your throat."
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cocoluvnihon (Offline)
The"Kewl Otaku" one

Send a message via AIM to cocoluvnihon Send a message via MSN to cocoluvnihon Send a message via Yahoo to cocoluvnihon
08-04-2007, 03:26 AM

i would luv to go with u but i hav to care of other stuff
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-04-2007, 03:59 AM

Allow me to correct you - you`ll have enough to *buy a ticket to Japan*.

Just getting here is one thing, but what will you do once you`re here for money? I think your plan of saving up that much each month is great, but 7 or 8 months isn`t going to be enough. You have to think of where you`d be staying and how much that would cost, eating, other expenses, etc. If you`re just popping over here on a tourist visa, you wouldn`t be able to work here so you`d have to bring that money with you.

I don`t mean to be discouraging, but there is a lot more to a trip than just the price of the flight.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
喜悦

08-04-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Allow me to correct you - you`ll have enough to *buy a ticket to Japan*.

Just getting here is one thing, but what will you do once you`re here for money? I think your plan of saving up that much each month is great, but 7 or 8 months isn`t going to be enough. You have to think of where you`d be staying and how much that would cost, eating, other expenses, etc. If you`re just popping over here on a tourist visa, you wouldn`t be able to work here so you`d have to bring that money with you.

I don`t mean to be discouraging, but there is a lot more to a trip than just the price of the flight.
Exactly.. I brought $2,000 with me and spent almost all of it in only 5 days! (Of course a few problems went wrong, like my hotel reservation somehow got messed up, so I had to stay in a more expensive hotel in Narita).

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Gaijin Zombie Hero

08-04-2007, 04:12 AM

well, for now, i just want to know i can get the money to even take the flight. when i know i'm going, then i'll get money for everything else. =p

(#9 (permalink))
Old
喜悦

08-04-2007, 04:13 AM

I just noticed this thread:
Tips, rules, and etiquette

He has some good tips ^^ Things you really should be aware of~

Last edited by ButterflyDemise : 08-04-2007 at 04:16 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
喜悦

08-04-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdirufangirl09 View Post
well, for now, i just want to know i can get the money to even take the flight. when i know i'm going, then i'll get money for everything else. =p
Ah, I see. Good luck to you then~ But it might be a while before you go if you'd still need to save up for spending and such ^^; maybe even double the months for your ticket.

Oh, and be sure to buy your ticket a month or two ahead of time.. a)it'd be cheaper and b) you'll have a good amount of seats to choose from. haha~