JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Aiyuuji (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Aiyuuji
Going to Japan. - 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Everyone seems to be going to japan for all the wrong reasons these days but anyways im going on a trip at the start of next year its really to get over the initial shock of a international flight and so on because ive never even been on a plane on my own.
If you didnt already know im a traniee english teacher and im just going on a short break there befor i have to go there for a year to be a teacher im looking forward to it but i want some time to explore first.

So to anyone who has been already or even people who live there, where are good places to go? I dont really want to looking like a otaku because thats just not me i want to see japan not a anime shop.

I see people asking silly questions and i am looking into nice places to go. My friend is meeting in Narita But i dont know if hes going to take me to any good places during my stay.

Oh and i would love someone to help me with my Kanji im not so great at it also someone who i can write romaji with or even talk japanese with so i can brush up on my japanese before i go there

Anyways TIPSSSSS are loved places good resturaunts la de da...

[insert cool sig here]
(#2 (permalink))
Old
El2IN (Offline)
Key's butterfly

Send a message via MSN to El2IN
08-06-2007, 01:51 PM

I wish I could help, But I've never been to Japan or Learned Kanji.
Anyway. Good Luck on your trip
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-06-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyuuji View Post
Everyone seems to be going to japan for all the wrong reasons these days but anyways im going on a trip at the start of next year its really to get over the initial shock of a international flight and so on because ive never even been on a plane on my own.
If you didnt already know im a traniee english teacher and im just going on a short break there befor i have to go there for a year to be a teacher im looking forward to it but i want some time to explore first.

So to anyone who has been already or even people who live there, where are good places to go? I dont really want to looking like a otaku because thats just not me i want to see japan not a anime shop.

I see people asking silly questions and i am looking into nice places to go. My friend is meeting in Narita But i dont know if hes going to take me to any good places during my stay.

Oh and i would love someone to help me with my Kanji im not so great at it also someone who i can write romaji with or even talk japanese with so i can brush up on my japanese before i go there

Anyways TIPSSSSS are loved places good resturaunts la de da...
mmm seems no one likes to search or read other posts now adays.
i think i've personally answered these types of questions at least 4-5 times already.

First: i dont think theres ANY wrong reason to go to japan.

If you like anime and wana go to the home of where its created and whatnot. i wouldnt see that as a bad reason.

Hell i came here b/c me and my friends fliped a coin to see what country we would visit next. was kinda a spur the moment thing.

and i've been here 8 times now since then and currently here for 3 months.

Second: you dont mention where in Japan you are gonna be...

its like asking.. hey im goin to England or America, where should i go or visit.

so your question is very vague.

i could tell you bla bla bla Shibuya or Mt. Fuji but i have no idea where your staying.

Not to be mean or a jerk or any thing like that
but for people to help ya out you should give a general area of where you will be staying.

if Tokyo i recommend you goin thru a few posts and find people who asked the same thing.

Also lil background of what you want to see also.

temples?, amusment parks?, shopping?, crazy styles?

also i dont consider many questions silly, some people just are really curious about japan.

If your interested in japan and the culture thats good enough reason to go.

so help us help you by giving a lil more info and also checkin out earlier posts

g'luck

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Aiyuuji (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2007, 05:11 PM

my question isnt like others sorry i was in a rush to type it im not going there for the anime or gaming side of things.
Im really going to get over the shock of a move to another country to be honest.
im not going to be much of a tourist if im going to live there.

If you want detail of where im going i will be staying in Narita Area because thats nearest to the airport.I want to get to central tokyo from there on would that be easiest using the undergrond?
As for when i teach there i will be living in yokohama.
i know nothing about yokohama pretty daughnting.

Thankyou for your help but im not one of these otaku kids who wants to go to japan because i think its ''TEH SECKS'' or whatever people say lol.

But since you have been there alot i would like to ask what places would you suggest a first timer who is going to tokyo who wants to see a peice of tokyo's history?

[insert cool sig here]

Last edited by Aiyuuji : 08-06-2007 at 05:20 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
El2IN (Offline)
Key's butterfly

08-06-2007, 05:20 PM

Heh. I'm an Otaku
I try not to show i though
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Aiyuuji (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El2IN View Post
Heh. I'm an Otaku
I try not to show i though
Im not saying being OTAKU is bad everyone likes differnt things ^_^

[insert cool sig here]
(#7 (permalink))
Old
El2IN (Offline)
Key's butterfly

08-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyuuji View Post
Im not saying being OTAKU is bad everyone likes differnt things ^_^
Heh, Yup Yup.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DXL (Offline)
JF Regular

08-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Aiyuuji, I suggest you get a book like Lonely Planets or Rough Guides. Dont know what you are after, maybe some people in rural areas. You say you want to see the real Japan. Well Tokyo is part of the real Japan. What people suggest you do there are what people there do. You dont want to be an OTAKU, well you'll ge treated like one. If you are after rural villages, well you'll have to head out of the big cities.

Narita Airport is not in Tokyo, its about an hour away by N'Ex train. If you are goin to teach in Yokohama, its best to go stay in Yokohama. and it is fairly close to Tokyo anyway.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Yokohama isnt to far from Tokyo.

Why bother staying in Narita?

I mean you say people go to tokyo for the wrong reasons.. but your soul reason is for the culture shock?

how is that any better of a reason then some one who loves the culture and wants to see it first hand?

your question isnt like others?

your question was "where are good places to go?"

its exactly like others cept, right after you make it very appoint that you are not otaku and dont wanna see the anime or gaming side.

Should check out my guide to Tokyo.

Theres bunch of places you can check out that doesnt do with gaming or anime.

To get over culture shock?

umm i recommend, getting use to trains, eating at restaurants, shopping, and just going to public places.

the culture is gona be different from living in Narita and Yokohama.

i actually live about 30 mins way from Yokohama.

im not otaku, but i do enjoy gaming and anime, but its not every thing to me.

Japan is much more then just anime and games.

should check out various temples to see.

if your gonna live in Narita your first trip its gona be pretty annoying gettin back and forth from Tokyo

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan