JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Nice work, Housetek!

I would say change your money before you come to Japan. It's probably cheaper than at the airport.

Traveller's checks are a pain. You often have to go to a major bank or the top floor of a major department store where they have exchange offices to get cash. I recommend a passport wallet or a wallet with a chain and a zipper and just bring cash. (Not because it will get stolen, but so you don't drop it or leave it somewhere.)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-07-2007, 01:01 AM

this is a good idea housetek ,, good thinking ..

nways just want to add on train tickets.

if you plan on moving around a lot, meaning you are going to be using the train/buses, try getting / inquiring ONE-DAY train tickets or other Type of train tickets. This will get you a long way around the KANTO area.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#13 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2007, 04:21 AM

Nice work, Housetek!

I've been in and out of Tokyo many times and I actually did pretty much of some of the things that you had soo painstakingly explained. Yeah, you really need to budget yourself very well in order not to find yourself running out of cash towards the end of your trip. But if you actually had more than you had planned at the end, then you can treat yourself to something nice and expensive, something that you had been avoiding all the while since the start of your trip.

One thing I want to add in here is the JR Travel Pass. You can only buy this in your country, like when you are not in Japan yet. With this travel pass, you can save quite a bit on your overall travelling expenses when in Japan. You can use this within Tokyo and even out of Tokyo.
You can use this for rail and bus.
When in Tokyo, you may want to check out the Seishun 18 pass as well.

Have fun.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-07-2007, 05:13 AM

The JR Travel Pass is great if you ar going to do a lot of travel, but investigate closely. They can actually be MORE expenisive if you don't plan on travelling too much (especially if you aren't going to leave Tokyo, for example.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-07-2007, 08:49 AM

I personally use Suica cards. Its not to bad.

im almost always with a bunch of friends so often we split cabs.

its only 800 to 1000 yen to get around to the places i hang out. so with 3-4 people its very cheap

once again i strongly recommend bringing a friend

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#16 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

08-07-2007, 12:42 PM

*worships Housetek *

Thanks for the guide. Maybe i can convinve my parents to let me go XD.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-07-2007, 09:15 PM

thanks every one for the positive comments!

Ill continue to write more guides once topics pop into my head and when I have the time to write them all!

Any questions or topics please pm me =)

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

(#18 (permalink))
Old
cocoluvnihon (Offline)
The"Kewl Otaku" one

Send a message via AIM to cocoluvnihon Send a message via MSN to cocoluvnihon Send a message via Yahoo to cocoluvnihon
08-17-2007, 01:27 PM

thanks for the guide and I agree with you on the stupid race posts to about fearing to go to japan. If you have a stupid fear of going to Japan because of your race then you shouldn't be on this forum plain and simple!! Besides having the opportunity to go to Japan is something most people would appreciate!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Morlana (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the housing breakdown costs. I am planning a visit and I wanted to use my Time Share. I bet that would be even cheaper since the exchange for international is $179. I"ll definitely check out your guides for the phone.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

08-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlana View Post
Thanks for the housing breakdown costs. I am planning a visit and I wanted to use my Time Share. I bet that would be even cheaper since the exchange for international is $179. I"ll definitely check out your guides for the phone.
yea the airport rates can cost up to 150 a month, while prepaid is 70 for a phone you keep and dont have to mail back to the company. plus its 3000 Yen or 5000 yen for so many minutes + free mailing to softbank phones + free incomming calls.

with the way i set it up, people from other countries can call my skype and it gets forwarded to my cell and i talk for free, and they are not charged internationally.

MR.JF & Jf God