JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
officeoffice (Offline)
New to JF

Japan electronics voltage - 08-18-2007, 05:45 AM

I'm gonna be going to Japan next year, and I'm thinking about bringing electronics such as my DS charger, my hair straightener, my ipod charger and also my hair curler to Japan, but I'm not so sure about the difference of voltages between the US and Japan? I know in US we use a 120v, and in Japan they use 100v. So it'd be a problem to plug in any devices from the US? Or would they be okay?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
DXL (Offline)
JF Regular

08-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeoffice View Post
I'm gonna be going to Japan next year, and I'm thinking about bringing electronics such as my DS charger, my hair straightener, my ipod charger and also my hair curler to Japan, but I'm not so sure about the difference of voltages between the US and Japan? I know in US we use a 120v, and in Japan they use 100v. So it'd be a problem to plug in any devices from the US? Or would they be okay?

as long as you are going from a higher voltage to a lower on, it should be ok, but you might need a step up for things like hair straighteners, your ipod depending on how new should be able to operate on anything between 100-240v. I regulatly take my UK laptop operating on 240v to the US and plug it with an adaptor and it works fine. i took my UK electronics to Japan and i was able to charge my phone and camera with no need for a step up
(#3 (permalink))
Old
AamX391 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-19-2007, 05:47 AM

the US and Japan have the same plug-in/outlet type, so i assume there should be no problem, i found this out when i got an outlet conversion set for when i traveled to Ireland
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2007, 06:26 AM

The outlet sizes are the same and the voltage is only slightly different. I have never had a problem using Japanese electronics in the US, and vice-versa. I have heard the slight voltage difference will wear on your product, but the cost of a converter (hundreds of dollars) has never been worth it to me.