JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Eimi (Offline)
New to JF

Planning and Costs - 09-07-2007, 12:57 AM

Hello,
I've finally decided to realize one of my long term dreams; which is to go to Japan. It won't be a very long trip, propably a week, since Japan is an expensive country and this will be my first official trip all by my lonesome. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you would have certain recommendations as to where you could find relatively inexpensive restaurants and shops around Tokyo? Being a big fan of anime and manga, if there are any local shops that are worth a visit?
Also, what would be an estimate of the cost for such a trip?
Arigatou gozaimasu!

-No regrets-
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2007, 02:09 AM

I'd budget 40-50 dollars a day for food and snacks, 20+ for trains, double that if you plan to include taxis. Cheap meals are all around, but what's the point of going to Japan to eat cheap fast food? Set your budget in yen and don't be too hesitant to pay 1200, 1500, 2000 yen or more for a meal that will be delicious, and you may only have once in your life. Of course it's easy to spend 10 times that on a meal, but that's pretty extravagent.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kerry (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2007, 02:52 AM

From the East Coast of the US where I live the cost of the flight itself is way out of my price range.. It's depressing. You're really lucky if you get to go.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-07-2007, 05:54 AM

As for manga/anime-related shopping, remember the names of these two sections of Tokyo: "Akihabara" and "Ikebukuro". Those are currently the hottest areas for the otaku with numerous entire buildings dedicated to manga/anime (new and used) and related goods such as stationary, stickers, t-shirts, cell phone chains, confectionaries, etc..

In Akihabara, just follow the otaku-looking kids from the train staion, it will take you where you want to go. In Ikebukuro, however, you might have to ask someone where "Otome Road" is. That is the street you want to go to and it's about a ten-minute walk from the station. In Ikebukuro, I always go to the shop (actually rather a 7 or 8-story building) named Animate when I buy gifts for friends abroad.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsukikage (Offline)
6th div vice

09-07-2007, 09:30 AM

what I would do was take about £500 with me for travel food and accomodation over the course of a week (including a drinking session in Bar 23 in the Asakusa area) , give or take, but im sure you could get away with a bit less if moneys a bit tight.
Iv been to akihabara a couple of times, its amazing! id never seen so much anime before (or since) than in those stores!
Have a great time

Bankai!

Last edited by Tsukikage : 09-07-2007 at 09:32 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Planning - 09-15-2007, 01:46 AM

You may also want to think about a tour company. I'll be leaving for Japan on Sunday using Intermixi. For the stuff thats packed into and the price its going to be a great trip. You may also try Pop Japan Travel.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever