JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
coolpizza (Offline)
New to JF

Kyoto trip need help - 09-07-2007, 03:04 AM

Hi there,

I am going to Kyoto, Japan at the end of this October for a one-week conference from JFK , and need to go back China to obtain a re-entry visa for US. I am looking for cheap airfare for this multi-stop trip and found this great site with a lot of helpful information. As far as now, the best I can get will be flying via JAL with the following itinerary for $962 including tax/fee through a local travel agent.
Oct.26 JFK-NRT
Nov.2 NRT-PVG (Shanghai)
Nov.20 PVG-NRT
Nov.20 NRT-JFK

The better choice will be flying to KIX, though the air fare will be about $200-$300 more and my local agent can only get the HND-KIX not the NRT-ITM. Another concern is the time issue for traveling from NRT to HND to catch the plane, it seems HND-KIX is not recommended. Plus I have two big luggage with me which will be a big problem. So currently I have some plans:

1) Buy this $962 ticket through the agent and call JAL to purchase the $200 two sector oneworld Yokoso/Visit Japan Fare for NRT-ITM. Is this option feasible? Or I have to buy the whole ticket through JAL directly?
JAPAN AIRLINES - oneworld Yokoso/Visit Japan Fare

2) Buy the 7-day JR Pass in advance in US and take the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, and spend $100 for the baggage storage at NRT airport. The only concern is about the Japan visa, I heard the application for temp visitor visa is a whole of trouble for people holding China passport in US without US re-entry visa stamp. So I am going to apply for the 15-day transit visa, will that account for "sight seeing" as well? I am little bit confused by the wording here:
JTBUSA -JAPAN RAIL Pass

Any advice about this trip will be appreciated, thanks a lot for reading!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2007, 03:38 AM

Wow, that is a confusing problem.

In my experience it has always been worth spending an extra couple hundred dollars to save days and hours of stress and confusion... especially if you are travelling with big luggage.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
coolpizza (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Wow, that is a confusing problem.

In my experience it has always been worth spending an extra couple hundred dollars to save days and hours of stress and confusion... especially if you are travelling with big luggage.
Thanks for your response. I don't really need the luggage with me to Kyoto.
So I can put them in the baggage storage at NRT for $8/bag/day.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
coolpizza (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2007, 04:18 AM

Here is my current plan after reading numerous threads about traveling in Japan:

- JAL 0005 ETA at Narita Airport Terminal 2 - 16:20

- Clear immigration - 17:00 (probably)

- Pick up luggage and carry through customs - 17.30

- Walk to GPA counters / pay for suitcase storage - 18.00

- Go down to the railway station downstairs. Go to the JR counter and exchange JR PASS there and reserve seats for RT to Kyoto. - 18.30

- Take Narita Express departs at 18.46 - arrives Tokyo 19.51 - connect to 20.06 Hikari #389 - arrives Kyoto 23.00
http://www.japanrail.com/pdf/Timetable1-west.pdf

- Go to Karasuma side of station and take a cab to my hotel

- Dinner in Kyoto - _

Any advice to make the trip cheaper and simpler will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks you all for providing great information here!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpizza View Post
Thanks for your response. I don't really need the luggage with me to Kyoto.
So I can put them in the baggage storage at NRT for $8/bag/day.
That cheap? Are you sure? At KIX it's like 8 dollars a bag for 4 hours...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpizza View Post
- Take Narita Express departs at 18.46 - arrives Tokyo 19.51 - connect to 20.06 Hikari #389 - arrives Kyoto 23.00
oh no! You need to give yourself more than 15 minutes to find your way from Narita express to the Shinkansen rail. I would look for at LEAST a 30 to 45 minute window. Tokyo station is HUGE and the Narita Express and Shinkansen are are different levels.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
coolpizza (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
That cheap? Are you sure? At KIX it's like 8 dollars a bag for 4 hours...
Found the price at NRT website:
NARITA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OFFICIAL WEBSITE - Airport Guide:Useful facilities & services.

Luggage: 300, 500 or 800 yen per item per day depending on size; same rate each day thereafter.
A standard-sized suitcase is charged at 500 yen per day.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
coolpizza (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
oh no! You need to give yourself more than 15 minutes to find your way from Narita express to the Shinkansen rail. I would look for at LEAST a 30 to 45 minute window. Tokyo station is HUGE and the Narita Express and Shinkansen are are different levels.
Thanks for the info. Some people recommend to get off at Shinagawa station instead of Tokyo since it is a small station and easier to find the transit information, though it has less frequent trains compared to Tokyo. How do you think? Thanks.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
DXL (Offline)
JF Regular

09-07-2007, 05:30 PM

Connect at Shinagawa if possible and especially if you havent been to Tokyo before, Tokyo Station is huge and can be confusing
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2007, 05:41 PM

There is a Shinkansen from Shinagawa?