JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

Send a message via MSN to Shanis
Places to visit in Japan - 09-23-2007, 06:47 PM

I plan to visit japan in 2010 after I ended my school. And i asked me if some1 of u can tell me which places i should visit. Cause i have to plan where i can sleep and that´s gona difficult if i don´t know where to go^^ So pls tell me what places are worth to visit... Maybe u should know that i thougt to start my tour in the north of japan and go then further down in the south^^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Why is nobody answering me? oO
(#3 (permalink))
Old
psychoscout (Offline)
New to JF

09-25-2007, 03:23 PM

because the end of the world is scheduled in 2009, no use giving you travel advice

kidding, just be patient
(#4 (permalink))
Old
LearnAmazingJapanese (Offline)
New to JF

Places to visit in Japan - 09-25-2007, 10:05 PM

All right, Shanis, I'll play.

Let me know a bit more...what are you interested in...history, pop culture, architecture, high tech, etc.? How well do you speak Japanese (how well do you plan on being able to speak Japanese)?

I've been traveling back and forth to J'land for about 20 years, but I've yet to travel further south than Okayama...between Okayama and Aomori, though, I can give you some pretty solid advice.

Since you're not going until 2010, I encourage you to do some background study on your own, though. It's always more fun to do your own scouting. Maybe put together a short list of places you think you want to see, and then get people's input based on that...I'm just sayin'.

Sore ja.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

09-26-2007, 03:39 PM

At all i don´t know if u should learn japanese, cause i have to drive a long way to a language school^^ but i´m interested in architecture and history (mostly the same, cause there are many old buildings^^) but high tech is also interesting... and i think u should know that i´m atm only planned to be on the main island (i think it´s named Honshu) and drive there, but i´m not sure cause to pass by a small way by ship wouldn´t be the problem
(#6 (permalink))
Old
LearnAmazingJapanese (Offline)
New to JF

Places to visit - 09-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanis View Post
At all i don´t know if u should learn japanese, cause i have to drive a long way to a language school^^ but i´m interested in architecture and history (mostly the same, cause there are many old buildings^^) but high tech is also interesting... and i think u should know that i´m atm only planned to be on the main island (i think it´s named Honshu) and drive there, but i´m not sure cause to pass by a small way by ship wouldn´t be the problem
If you're into old architecture and history, the best places are going to be Kyoto and Nara, in my opinion.

If you want to see a prime example of a historic castle, go to Himeji Castle in Himeji. If I recall correctly, something like 30% of it is "original" (meaning a couple hundred years old). Himeji isn't too far out of your way from Kyoto and Nara.

The Osaka castle is famous, but it's a complete re-creation, since most of it was destroyed in WWII. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to visit there.

High-tech: No question about it, Akihabara (Tokyo) is the place to spend an afternoon or two. All kinds of high-tech shops. Some of the high-tech companies have cool showrooms, but they're kinda spread out, and it's easier to find them/ get to them if you know the language.

Driving? Depends on how long you're going to be staying in Japan. If you're just going to be there for a few weeks, then get a rail pass and don't drive. With all of the toll roads, driving can be as much or more than the trains (unless you have a group in the car). A rail pass for two weeks runs about $300-$500, if I recall, and you can ride any JR train, including the Shinkansen (some restrictions apply). Considering the fact that a single round-trip between Tokyo and Osaka costs about $300, the rail pass is a fantastic deal.

Sore ja.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

09-27-2007, 03:34 AM

since you're going in the year 2010, don't you think that this thread is a couple of years too early?? a lot can happen in a few years, just look at the ski dome. i'm not sure when exactly it closed down, but it opened in the year 2002 and it didn't last for shit.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

09-27-2007, 11:31 AM

It CAN be too early, but if i write next year and or in 2 years it can be too late... i also have to look after school and there are many things to plan....
@LearnAmazingJapanese thx for your advices^^ I think i go by motorbike there with a friend on his own motorbike, but we have to look how many the petrol costs sowe gonna see ^^ :mtounge:
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Legat0 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Legat0
09-28-2007, 01:30 PM

I think the way to plan your trip, is to find out what you want to see. And then see if you will be traveling allot or not. Japan has allot to offer.
On my holiday in Japan I spend a week in Tokyo and a week in Kyoto, and after that 2 or 3 days in allot of different cities and towns to see the major tourist attractions. This way you see allot of the country and it's culture, but you miss the peoples aspect. So spending some time on the Japanese people alone would be great (in my opinion). Nightlife in Tokyo !!

'I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.' -Mahatma Ghandi
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Shanis (Offline)
Going to be someone

10-04-2007, 04:19 PM

What i want to see? All i can^^ i mean i want to see japans beatiful landscaps and the beaches and so on, i just want to see as many as i can from japan that´s why i planned to take my motorbike with me, so i can stay on a place as long as i want and don´t see it only then the train drives by, do u know what i mean?