LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Hi! samurai, if you see my post "My idea of trip" you can see my itinerary.

I have thought to take a JRP for 14 days and the first three days, I use a single tickets "valid all day".

Is it a good idea?

I have a question: Can I use a JRP for Tokyo metro also and the others metro places?

I will give you a more detailed breakdown in that thread then, but the quick answer is that I think that with that itinerary, a 14 day Rail Pass will be a waste of money for you. If I were you, I'd get either a 7 day pass and activate it only when you head west, or get a ju-hachi kippu.

And both the ju-hachi kippu and Rail Pass are for JR trains only... other company lines, including subways, will not accept it. However, JR also has buses and I believe they work on those.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
minniemouse (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-05-2007, 05:57 PM

In this case, I have to plan my itinerary and then, to realize that it's better for me!

I have thought that JRP covers all transport means...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
In this case, I have to plan my itinerary and then, to realize that it's better for me!

I have thought that JRP covers all transport means...
Just to be clear, JR trains are very, very common. The great majority of train lines in Japan are JR. JR also has a few bus routes. JR doesn't operate subways, though, as far as I know, and there are some private train lines here and there. In general, traveling from city to city will nearly always be on JR lines. Traveling within a city often won't be.

IMO, you should probably get either the 7 day regular JR Rail Pass and activate it when you head for Kyoto, or get a ju-hachi kippu and only spend the passes on the days when it's worth while, possibly buying either a plane ticket or bullet train ticket seperately to get back to Narita Airport quickly.

Or, check and see if it is possible for you to simply fly home from Osaka's Kansai International Airport instead of returning to Narita at all. That would save you a lot of time and money instead of getting back to Tokyo! I believe that it's possible to get a round trip ticket that allows you to leave from a different airport than the one you arrived at.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
minniemouse (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2007, 08:28 AM

Yes Samurai, your idea is good!

Its' very difficult to calculate every journey to understand what's the best choise.

If I have well understand:

for all days that I will stay in Tokyo, I can buy a singol all ticekts (it's ok for subway and buses).

Can I go to Kamakura and Disneyland with this type of ticket?

Then, when I will go to Takayama to Kyoto, I use a JRP (if is it cheap) that I can use it for 7 days.
After, the last day, you recommend me to leave to Osaka.

many thanks!

(#15 (permalink))
Old
minniemouse (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2007, 08:33 AM

uhm....
I have seen the difference for th retur trip from Osaka to Milan and...it's very expensive.

The best solution as economy flight is roud trip (Milan/Tokyo/Milan).

Now...I don't know what can I do with these means tickets...
It's very complicated!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
uhm....
I have seen the difference for th retur trip from Osaka to Milan and...it's very expensive.

The best solution as economy flight is roud trip (Milan/Tokyo/Milan).

Now...I don't know what can I do with these means tickets...
It's very complicated!
Check the price of a 45 minute Domestic flight from Kansai International to Narita... it is probably cheaper than the bullet train, though if you decide to go with the Rail Pass, you can ride the bullet train for free.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yes Samurai, your idea is good!

Its' very difficult to calculate every journey to understand what's the best choise.

If I have well understand:

for all days that I will stay in Tokyo, I can buy a singol all ticekts (it's ok for subway and buses).

Can I go to Kamakura and Disneyland with this type of ticket?

Then, when I will go to Takayama to Kyoto, I use a JRP (if is it cheap) that I can use it for 7 days.
After, the last day, you recommend me to leave to Osaka.

many thanks!

I don't know what you mean by "single all tickets". If you mean the ju-hachi kippu, it is a JR ticket only, not usable for subways either. There may be an all-day ticket just for the Tokyo subways... I'm not sure, as I simply bought individual tickets for each ride when I was there. I'm pretty sure Osaka's subway has an all day pass, but you'd need to ride it quite a bit to make the cost worth it. A normal subway ticket is $2-5, so depending upon the cost of an all day pass, it may or may not be worth buying, depending upon how much you plan to ride it. Personally, I preferred taking the subway somewhere and then walking around that area most of the day, so it wasn't worth it for me. I only ever bought all day passes for traveling between cities.

It can be hard to figure out everything in advance. But because the JR Rail Pass can only be bought outside of Japan, and the other tickets can only be bought in Japan, you need to simply decide if you want a Rail Pass or not, and then fill in the rest of your trip with individual tickets and/or a ju-hachi kippu. If you're going to need to ride the bullet trains at all, then a 7 day Rail Pass may be a good idea, especially for the return trip from Osaka back to Tokyo. That trip takes over 12 hours by local trains, but only about 3 hours by bullet train (and less than 1 hour by domestic flight). But, as I said before, with the $170 savings you get by buying a ju-hachi kippu instead of a Rail Pass, you should be able to pay for a ticket back to Tokyo easily. Either way, you should be fine.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
minniemouse (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2007, 07:37 AM

oh yes, I spoke about "all-day ticket just for the Tokyo subways"...

I think to use these tickets for 3 or 4 days in Tokyo and after, I buy a JRP for the others 14 days..

bye
(#19 (permalink))
Old
drpepper1785 (Offline)
New to JF

10-07-2007, 01:32 PM

I am planing on going to japan with a girl I meet at the japanese english socal club in Bostion. one of the japanese there crcamended IACE trael agency. a lot of members have crcamended it to me.

607 boylston st Boston copley
617-424-0140
800-233-4223
IACE Travel USA

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies....if the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency....first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of their property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

- Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826