JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-06-2007, 07:57 AM

I traveled in western Japan in winter and it was great. I had Christmas dinner at a Ramen stand in Hakata (a city on Kyushu famous for its pork ramen). Many places may be closed for New Years, but Christmas isn't as big over there as it is here. They generally hand some decorations, maybe give a few gifts, and eat a Christmas Cake.

One observation I had is this: In the US, Christmas is generally seen as a day to spend with family, and New Years is a time to celebrate with friends. In general, it's the opposite in Japan. Not a hard and fast rule, of course. New Years is typically seen as the more important and solemn holiday in Japan, instead of Christmas.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Gunslinger (Offline)
Feels Overlooked alot.

Send a message via MSN to Gunslinger
10-06-2007, 08:25 AM

i think i personaly would rather take time off during the year to visit, all my family would be dissapointed if i left the country during christmas.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
drpepper1785 (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2007, 01:03 AM

I am going to japan for the fist time from Dec 21- Jan 2 my plane ticket was $1456 It will be the first time not having Christmas with my family of 30+ people

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies....if the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency....first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of their property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

- Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826