JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chnlzero (Offline)
New to JF

Clueless Canuck in Osaka.. - 10-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Hello...

I've been here almost 3 weeks and had somewhat of an idea of what to do prior to arriving here. H/E when i realized that i'm here for 3mths.. whats the rush...

part of me still wants to be the littlest hobo, wanting to just discover whats out there... but then the conservative wants to play it safe and touristy thing universal studios, aquariums, outlet malls etc... its cool but safe.

Anyways before i zone off topic... if anyones got suggestions or know of hidden gems or even events taking place from now to december would be awesome otherwise no worries..

Cheers!

Last edited by chnlzero : 10-07-2007 at 10:03 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
LearnAmazingJapanese (Offline)
New to JF

Gems - 10-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnlzero View Post
Hello...

I've been here almost 3 weeks and had somewhat of an idea of what to do prior to arriving here. H/E when i realized that i'm here for 3mths.. whats the rush...

part of me still wants to be the littlest hobo, wanting to just discover whats out there... but then the conservative wants to play it safe and touristy thing universal studios, aquariums, outlet malls etc... its cool but safe.

Anyways before i zone off topic... if anyones got suggestions or know of hidden gems or even events taking place from now to december would be awesome otherwise no worries..

Cheers!
Here are few suggestions.

Himeji Castle - Definitely worth the time. They have English speaking guides (don't know the schedule), and for the first time, I think everyone should use a guide.

Ako - If you're a fan of Japanese history, this little town is the home country of the 47 Samurai. I think it's a "hidden gem" since not many foreigners know about the story (Forty-seven Ronin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There's not enough in the town to spend a whole day there, necessarily, but it's a place that 99.9% of foreigners in Japan won't have visited.

Kyoto/ Nara - Yes, "touristy," but for good reason. Everyone has to see Kiyomizu (and drink from the waterfall) at least once in their travels around Japan.

Tenri City - I visited this town last year. Basically, the city is the headquarters of the Tenri-Kyo sect of Buddhism. They have some amazing facilities here for worship, schools, etc.

HTH.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chnlzero View Post
Hello...

Cheers!
The aquarium is a very nice one, you might enjoy that. Osaka Castle is ok, but nearby Himeji Castle is much nicer IMO. Wandering around parts of the city, looking in stores, trying different restaurants can be a fun way to spend an afternoon. There are a ton of restaurants in the basement complex under Namba train station that are good. And take day trips outside of Osaka... Himeji Castle, as I already mentioned, plus Koya-san, Nara, Kyoto, Nagoya, etc. Osaka is a great centralized location from which to explore both eastern and western Japan, so take advantage of it, don't stay in Osaka the whole time!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2007, 07:38 PM

The aquarium is good, I hear it's nice to go at night as well.

Mt Koya is good if you're into buddist art, I suggest you stay over night at one of the temple inns just for the experiene.

There's arima onsen in Hyogo
Information on Hot Springs

momoji in Kyoto (we're just coming up to that time)

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chnlzero (Offline)
New to JF

good times - 10-17-2007, 01:32 PM

thanks everyone... ill take you all up on your suggestions... though really i should be puttinga better effort in discoverying for myself whats out there...at its current time i've stepped out and explored the little areas even went to Kyoto for the weekend! will keep you all posted on the wacky adventures as they ensue..., cheers!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

10-18-2007, 02:29 AM

check out KansaiScene.com for monthly event . you can get the magazine for free in any Kinokuniya, book1st , Junkudo bookstore.

Also there is an information counter in Hankyu just outside the central exit/entrance of Hankyu Umdeda station, another information counter is located just outside Osaka JR station ( i forgot the exit ).

Another way to try the outdoors of Kansai is to get in touch with International Outdoor Club Kansai: IOC Kansai | International Outdoor Club Kansai

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2007, 02:32 AM

Ame-Mura in Shinsaibashi

Daibutsu in Nara

A Hanshin Tigers game at Koshien Stadium (next season)

A walk under the JR tracks from Kobe Station to Sannomiya station. Full of used electronics and clothes stores in tiny shops.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Danierux (Offline)
KANSAI WANNABE

10-18-2007, 02:41 AM

Shopping is great in Osaka!! I love the Hep 5. Good shops and a great buffet on top level. Look out for this building. Ferris wheel is fun too!!

ダニエル X