JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Gradius (Offline)
New to JF

Location: Wales... okay, the bit attached to the UK... no, not Scotland...!!
Presentation at a Japanese Reception ~Help?~ - 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm off to the charming Japanese city of Yosano-cho (previously Kaya-cho just a few years ago) as part of an exchange, and am extremely excited! First time to Japan, (the first of many, I hope!) and no doubt I'll have loads of pics to bring back...

I am a little worried however, for, as part of the exchange, we will be meeting with the mayor / mayoress of Yosano and other highly respected individuals from the Yosano community at a reception eveing. We are expected to put on a brief presentation in front of what has been described as a 'banquet' for the people of Yosano.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what sort of thing the other 5 exchange students I and can do to leave a memorable impression. Obviously it comes down to our personal talents, abilities, interests etc, but I definately want to make it some fun and flashy, for want of a better description!

The presentation really should incorperate something of Welsh or British culture (though it doesn't have to be) and should involve all 6 students on the trip.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please post any ideas you have here... no matter how silly or abstract! All ideas welcome!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
LearnAmazingJapanese (Offline)
New to JF

Presentation - 10-11-2007, 04:29 AM

Maybe one or two traditional songs from your homeland?

That always seems to go over pretty well (as long as everyone tries their best, and doesn't goof off/ act embarrassed).

A piece of traditional art to present to the guest of honor/ mayor?

Anyway, I suggest something that represents where you're from, and gives a taste of what the country's like.

A letter from your town's mayor (English and Japanese translation) in a nice frame?

Corny? Yes.

Safe? Yes. (unless you pick a bawdy drinking song... then you're on your own)