JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-20-2007, 01:17 PM

MMM, you are completely right. Japan doesn't have to let anyone in if they didn't really want to.

Well today was the first day, and I came across this article on Zeitgeist. It's the editorial type section of The Japan Times Online. Here's the link, Watching them watching us | The Japan Times Online. I don't really like the writing and honestly the author just seems to be whining.

I was actually talking to some of the older Japanese students I teach to last night about this and crime in Japan. And you know what they told me, Japan's police don't even have a fingerprint database. I asked, "Well what do they do at the scene of a crime? Do they not collect prints?" He said no, but I don't know if this was opinion or fact. He said that the prints are going to be shared with international police agencies.

We also started talking about what records Japan has about it's own population. What he said was basically that Japan doesn't really have info like that in the US. There is no such thing equivalent to a social security number. There is no mandatory ID card. I told him to check into any hotel in the US requires a photo ID. Then he said, "Yes this is part of the problem with criminals in Japan. If they go to a hotel somewhere, they can just give a false name and address. There is no way to check they're true identity if they pay with cash."

Back to the fingerprinting, I am betting money that this whole program was initialized and probably even partially funded by you know.

What you can't guess? Try Japan's best buddy, old Stars and Bars.