JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Okashi (Offline)
Future English Teacher

Send a message via AIM to Okashi Send a message via MSN to Okashi Send a message via Yahoo to Okashi
Japan Discovery Trip 2008 (Spring Break) - 10-31-2007, 03:48 AM

Japan Discovery Trip 2008:

I'll be asking a question for you after I say a bit of things.

Detailed Summary of this exciting opportunity I've Received:
My high school has been asked if we wanted to participate in a trip to Japan. They gladly accepted the offer. There was a meeting of all the people who wanted to go and sadly, only 10 people could go. There were around 50 students at the meeting and this really made every *gulp*. Than it was said only students of the Japanese classes will be going. Luckily I was in a Japanese class (learning of the language) and managed to get the last spot on the trip. All I can say is that I feel like I'm the happiest/luckiest man on earth!

Now then, we received a very detailed list of all the things that we will be doing in a meeting in which our parents have had to attend. We were told how much money will be needed for the whole trip and what the money will be used for. Trust me, for what we are going to do on the trip we got an amazing deal. Kind of like shopping at Wal-Mart. The total cost of the 11 day trip will be between $2900-$3200 (Canadian Currency). This will include meals, transportation, our homestay, and the many things that I will mention later on.

This meeting happened just yesterday (Oct. 29, 2007). I was amazed on how fast everything was put together. The 10 lucky people that were picked just 3 days before the meeting have already got booked seats in the 2 planes that will be taken us to Japan. My grandparents will being paying my $1500 needed by this November 1st. Seriously, now you know why I feel like the happiest/luckiest man on earth. My mom and I had absolutely no money to begin with. I thanked them so much and now the rest of the family and I are all helping to pay for the other payments needed in the upcoming months.

Now for the things that we will be doing: (In order)
- Spending a day with our homestay family.
- A visit to the Toyota Motor Company.
- Tokugawa Art Museum.
- Shopping at Nagoya (We're allowed to buy ourselves swords in a shop that specializes in the making of them).
- Shinkansen Bullet Train.
- Visit Okazaki's Johsei High School.
- Participate in the clubs and activities.
- Visit Shirakawa-go in Gifu.
- Hirugano Kogan (Ice cream will be found here!)
- Overnight trip to Kansai area.
- Hikone Castle.
- Kinkakuji in Kyoto.
- Nijo Castle.
- Ninomaru Palace.
- Mount Mikasa in Nara.
- 13 course meal in an Onsen Hotel.
- Mount Wakasayama
- Todaiji Temple.
- Nigatsudo (Nara Park with the Sarusawa-no-ike and Koufukuji Temple).
- Horyuji.
- Drive to Iga and visit the Ninja House.
- Farewell party with homestay families.
- Day with homestay family.
- Return home...

The meeting I attended showed us pictures from a previous trip. They where breathtaking.

Now I would like to ask if there is anything I should look out for while we go to these locations. If you have any good advice for my trip, I would like to hear what you have to say.

If your wondering how we are getting this all for such a great cost. The company the schools dealt with is a Japanese Company called "Kintetsu". I herd they are a huge tour company.

Once an Anime Lover, Always an Anime Lover

日本
CLICK HERE IF YOU DARE
OR HERE IF YOU LOVE AMIME!

(not really)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Like many Japanese companies, Kintetsu has it's fingers in a wide variety of things... I knew them best for their department stores.

Sounds like a lot of fun places to visit, I've been to several of the temples and the ninja house. And green tea ice cream was actually pretty good, give it a try. Have fun!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Zpenergy (Offline)
エリック

10-31-2007, 02:50 PM

That's a sweet price for all the places you are visiting... a round trip plane ticket from Nevada is around that price not including all the extra stuff you're getting to do...

"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpenergy View Post
That's a sweet price for all the places you are visiting... a round trip plane ticket from Nevada is around that price not including all the extra stuff you're getting to do...
Really? The 2 times I went to Japan from SF I got tickets for about $700. It's probably gone up since then, but I bet you can find some for $1000 or less.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-01-2007, 01:58 AM

yup Kintetsu is a big company.. Am not sure if its Kansai based though. they owned the Kintetsu line and Kintetsu bus, so you will probably be using either their train of buses for your whole trip.

You'll be coming in spring , Kyoto and Nara is lovely at that time especially if Sakura is in "mankai" mode. Nara's Yoshino Park is one of Japan's best place for Hanami . The Testugaku no Michi ( Philosopher's Path) in Ginkakuji is almost a must see.. But well you have a very tight schedule

Ahhh Ninja village in Iga. I hope you can dress up as ninjas there. The ninja costume can be rented for 500 yen from 10am -4pm . You can walk around the city with it. And there is also called the Shuriken experience were you can throw shuriken of course, on a dart board this one is free actually.

So goodluck and hope you enjoy your upcoming trip

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Okashi (Offline)
Future English Teacher

Send a message via AIM to Okashi Send a message via MSN to Okashi Send a message via Yahoo to Okashi
11-12-2007, 07:22 AM

SUGOI! Thanks for that information samokan!

Once an Anime Lover, Always an Anime Lover

日本
CLICK HERE IF YOU DARE
OR HERE IF YOU LOVE AMIME!

(not really)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-12-2007, 10:12 PM

first off, be urself

2nd...dont get too excited and run off cuz nagoya....ur gonna get lost...