JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Arty stuff in Japan - 11-09-2007, 01:12 AM

I'm not sure if anyone here will know about these things since they're somewhat niche, but since I'll be going on a trip to Japan in a few months there's a few things that related to my interests I'm curious about:

- vinyl designer toys: I know that they're fairly popular in Japan, although maybe not as much as in Hong Kong. I'm guessing Tokyo would be the best place to look for them - are there any stores or areas that include or exclusively sell designer toys? Or any galleries displaying them maybe?

- craft stuff: I've gotten into crafting lately, and I know you can get some incredibly cute craft fabrics and other materials in Japan that you just can't get here. I don't want to ask that person where she gets her stock from since she resells them ^^; But does anyone happen to know a good place to get that kind of stuff?

- anime/manga: Anyone happen to know if there are any conventions/comic markets on in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka or somewhere near those places in mid to late Feb?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

11-20-2007, 02:31 PM

Well, I sure can't find anything online about where to find them, but I found a really affordable online vinyl toy store.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-21-2007, 12:38 AM

I have no clue because personally I am not into these things. But you sound like someone who would enjoy PingMag - The Tokyo-based magazine about “Design and Making Things”. Check it out.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2007, 12:42 AM

I actually found a book that's supposed to detail this kind of thing - it should be arriving sometime this week, I'll post here if it's useful at all You can see it here if anyone is interested - it's called 'Tokyo Underground' and is about toy and design culture in Tokyo.

I already read PingMag, it's excellent ^_^