JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
spawn142001 (Offline)
New to JF

getting started - 11-18-2007, 06:46 AM

Allright heres a small part of the master plan that me and my friends have so that when we go to japan we dont get like screwed over on the streets with no money.

Ok in the u.s. im going to get a pilots liscense then im going to go to college to get a bachelors degree(at the minimal) in the japaneese language and use a technique called overlearning to study what they teach me and to study nouns and verbs that they dont teach me so ill be fluent enough to have a conversation and ill be able to read a newspaper.

What i want to know is knowing japaneese and having that pilots liscense what kind of odds do i have at getting a job as a comercial airline pilot for say the tokyo international airport or one of the many im sure it has.

Last edited by spawn142001 : 11-19-2007 at 10:45 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
11-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Sorry, I don't know about the pilot license thing, but I need to tell you that reading a Japanese newspaper is like the super ultimate final goal for being crazy fluent. I just think you shouldn't get your hopes up for being *that* fluent by the time you get out of college. Certainly you can learn enough to have decent conversations, but there are so many technical and uncommon words in newspapers... Just thought I should share that.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spawn142001 (Offline)
New to JF

11-26-2007, 12:23 AM

im aware of that im studying and teaching my self on my own to read the 3000 kanji required to pass highschool im not aiming to be able to re call any one charcter at will from memory but more or less the ability to reconigze it and rember its meaning if i come across one of those 3000 charcters in japan.

ive no idea what they cover when they teach you in college other than the fact they teach you how to speak it, and yea i know i wont be completely fluent out of college because i still wouldent have had a real conversation in japaneese, so im moving to japan after college and that should help me become more fluent in it. Thanks for pointing that out though.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Naruto911 (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2007, 12:42 AM

Sometimes their are a lot of uncommon words that we don't know about, so don't get too excited.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-26-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn142001 View Post
Allright heres a small part of the master plan that me and my friends have so that when we go to japan we dont get like screwed over on the streets with no money.

Ok in the u.s. im going to get a pilots liscense then im going to go to college to get a bachelors degree(at the minimal) in the japaneese language and use a technique called overlearning to study what they teach me and to study nouns and verbs that they dont teach me so ill be fluent enough to have a conversation and ill be able to read a newspaper.

What i want to know is knowing japaneese and having that pilots liscense what kind of odds do i have at getting a job as a comercial airline pilot for say the tokyo international airport or one of the many im sure it has.
Airports don't hire pilots, airlines do.

I have never been on a JAL or ANA flight and had a foreign pilot, but it seems possible, especially if you spoke Japanese well.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

11-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Most airlines start their pilots flying domestic routes. This means you will have to have extensive knowledge of Japanese and a lot of technical terms and knowledge of workplace customs and practices in Japan.