JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kairu23 (Offline)
New to JF

Question Beginning plans for a Japan trip.....please HELP!! - 11-21-2007, 08:36 AM

Ok so here's the deal: I really really want to plan a trip to Japan within the next year or two. I know a pretty good amount of information on their culture, however I don't speak or read much Japanese language so I am trying to work on that now.

Anyway, when I go to Japan, my main goal is to experience as much of the culture as I possibly can including doing origami, participating in a tea ceremony, eating and conversing with a traditional Japanese family, etc. However, I am also VERY interested in possibly apprenticing under a chef and learning how to cook some traditional Japanese food for at least a month or more.

Basically, I am asking all of you for help because I want to know where all in Japan would be great places to travel to in order to experience as many of my goals as possible. Also, if anyone has any ideas of particular places that I could look into apprenticing at, that would also be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you all ahead of time, for any help that you can provide me.

Oh yea, also, does anyone know of any good websites that have a lot of information on Japanese culture or maybe even learning to speak and/or read Japanese? Thanks so much!! =P
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
11-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu23 View Post
Ok so here's the deal: I really really want to plan a trip to Japan within the next year or two. I know a pretty good amount of information on their culture, however I don't speak or read much Japanese language so I am trying to work on that now.

Anyway, when I go to Japan, my main goal is to experience as much of the culture as I possibly can including doing origami, participating in a tea ceremony, eating and conversing with a traditional Japanese family, etc. However, I am also VERY interested in possibly apprenticing under a chef and learning how to cook some traditional Japanese food for at least a month or more.

Basically, I am asking all of you for help because I want to know where all in Japan would be great places to travel to in order to experience as many of my goals as possible. Also, if anyone has any ideas of particular places that I could look into apprenticing at, that would also be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you all ahead of time, for any help that you can provide me.

Oh yea, also, does anyone know of any good websites that have a lot of information on Japanese culture or maybe even learning to speak and/or read Japanese? Thanks so much!! =P

use search, this forum is filled with vast amounts of information.

In order to be an apprentice to a Chef, you must be able to speak the language fluently and also know the customs of the food industry.

just like how Japanese business etiquette differs from many countries, it is the same with the Culinary arts.

Also to become an apprentice, you'll have to do 1 of 2 things.

1 have a work visa
2 have a student visa

you cannot expect to finish a apprenticeship within a few months.
also you cannot expect to be paid much

You enjoy japanese culture which is very great, this is why this forum is made.

but if you really want to go as far as learning to be a chefs apprentice.

they will take a person more concern about the culinary arts and who have a stronger passion about food then japanese culture.

to become a apprentice to a chef, you will need connections, mainly this connections will require you to go to culinary school

i recommend saving and taking a vacation and experiencing the things you want to.

you might be investing more then you can handle if you are trying to live there and work under a chef.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
fluffy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to fluffy Send a message via MSN to fluffy Send a message via Yahoo to fluffy
11-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Learn Japanese Online : Japanese girl
that sites pretty good