JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

My Osaka Tokyo Trip Spring 08 - 04-18-2008, 07:29 PM

So I just got back from my second successful trip to Japan. I can say that the second time around was more enjoyable because I kinda knew what to expect. For example, I already knew how the Tokyo subway system worked and was able to navigate it without getting lost well not until leaving the station. I'll try to condense 10 days into a couple of paragraphs.

We started the trip with the lovely 11 hour flight from LAX to Narita in Tokyo. Fallowed by a two hour flight to Itami airport in Osaka. The first part of the trip had four people. Pinguino, hellslina, and Vincent all from L.A. and myself. Later we would be joined by Icis and Eric from San Fran. So I was the only one not currently living in CA. The next day we got up early and went on the cultural portion of the tour. We went to the Kiyomizu and Sanjusangen-do temples. I went to the Kiyomizu temple on my last trip but it was cool to see how the different seasons affect the temple. The Sanjusangen-do temple is known for its 1001 statues of Buddha, 1000 standing and one sitting. It is said that you will see your self in one of the Buddha's. Next we went to the Nijo-jo Castle. The floors were built in such a way that when someone walked on them they would squeak like nightingales.

That night it was Kuidaore on Dotonbori. We hit all the street food: Otakoya Takoyaki, yakatori and so many others. For our main meal we had the best ramen I have ever had. I can’t tell you the name of the place though. I know it wasn’t one of the golden dragon ramen, although we did eat at the middle one once, but it was excellent. Good thing our hotel was within waddling distance.

Next day we went to the Osaka-jo Castle which was pretty impressive. The top level had nice views of the city and mountains. From the castle we went to Osaka’s Nihonbashi electronics district. Found a great udon noodle place. Later that night we hit my favorite bar in the world, Rock Rock. All I can say is good thing our hotel was within crawling distance.

The next morning we got up early for a shinkansen bullet train to Tokyo. When we were in Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto) the sakura (cherry blossoms) were just starting but when we got into Kanto (Tokyo) they were in full bloom. After checking into our hotel in the Shinjuku area, we spent the rest of the day at the Nakano Broadway which is a mall that sells all kinds of Anime and Manga related toys and cosplay goods. When we got back to our hotel, the rest of the group from San Fran was there.

On our first full day in Tokyo, we went on a walking tour of the city with a local guide. We hit the Sensoji and Nakamise shopping areas, the Imperial Palace Plaza, Harajuku, and the Meiji Shrine. There was a traditional Shinto wedding taking place as well as a ceremony for a new born. The highlight of the tour came next when we had a Samurai sword lesion with a master swordsman. Our sensei showed us basic kata (forms) using wooden swords. Once we had the kata down we spared with each other.

Next morning we moved hotels, apparently it's difficult to get hotels during sakura season. Our new hotel was in the Ikebukuro district. From our new hotel we went to the Tokyo International Anime Fair at the Tokyo Big Site. Even though it was the last day of the convention, the event was packed. Like the Tokyo Game Show, we saw lots of cool stuff that will probably never come out over here.

On our last day of scheduled events we went on a tour of the electronics/ Otaku district of Akihabara. Lots of cool stuff to see and buy, I think this where I blew my budget. Later that night we did the dreaded K-word. Yes we did some karaoke. Unlike karaoke here you get your own little room so you don't embarrass your self in front of strangers. We sang some Linkin Park, sublime, Korn, Prince and yes some Journey (Just a small town girl.....). We even got Rick rolled. Yes you can get Rick rolled with karaoke.

The last full day was a free day. A few of us went back the the Nakano Broadway to pick up somethings we missed on the first trip. After packing, Pinguino and I headed to find some sushi. With the help of staff at our hotel, we found a great place a few blocks away.

On our final day we headed back to Narita for the somewhat more bearable 8 hour flight back to LAX. Protip: Alcohol is free on international flights. So my friend Johnny Walker made the flight that much better.

Here are my pictures of the trip as well as pictures from my trip last summer to TGS.

Enjoy!
Picasa Web Albums - Trav

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever