JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Trip Reports (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-trip-reports/)
-   -   Shrine Vs Temple :photos! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-trip-reports/2245-shrine-vs-temple-photos.html)

Gwen_Goth 02-04-2007 06:52 AM

Shrine Vs Temple :photos!

ok - so ive finally started uploading photos from my trip to japan (more than a year ago :( )

i thought i;d start by showing the difference between Shinto Shrines and Buddist Temples ( you never get shinto temples or buddist shrines - even though some shrines are as big as temples)

first off; Shrines!

Shinto shrines have a distinctive look; with atleast one large red Torii gate :

the actual shrines are often quite small and cute; often mafe of natural materials;

but the entire complex can be HUGE...

they also have statues to the dieties that teh shrine is dedicated too :

all these photos were taken by me; at Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto ^^

Gwen_Goth 02-04-2007 06:55 AM

Temples are for Buddism; they tend to have large entrance ways decorated with paper and lanterns

not all temples have a pagoda; but this one does; it holds a holy relic; unlike christian churches the relic is not on display.

there are many many statues of the buddah; this one is said to give you luck if you rub it, then yourself in teh same place : ie: his head, then yours, his sholder, then yours etc stc - you can see where it is kept smooth andshiney by peiples hands (yes - i did have ago ^^)

part of teh ceremony is to cleanse yourself before prayer; these small cups are used to scoop up the water so it can be washed with and drunk

the swastika in buddism is a sign of peace and happiness - it carries none of teh stigmata that the swastika does in wester culture from hitler and nazi use...

all these photos were taken by me; at Senso-ji Temple, asakusa, Tokyo

luna2 02-04-2007 06:57 AM

wow so cool whered u get the pics?

Gwen_Goth 02-04-2007 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luna2 (Post 37615)
wow so cool whered u get the pics?

xD i took them :)

Vesperd 02-04-2007 08:45 AM

wow nice pictures taken Gwen.. i can see the difference now, my favourite pic has to be the golden buddha statue :D

jasonbvr 02-05-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwen_Goth (Post 37614)
the swastika in buddism is a sign of peace and happiness - it carries none of teh stigmata that the swastika does in wester culture from hitler and nazi use...

Isn't it either symolic of the eightfold path or the cycle of birth and rebirth? I forget which, but when you look at maps there are gates for shrines and the swastika looking thing but I forget what they call that one for buddhist temples.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 02-05-2007 07:10 PM

Wow Gwen, I love those pictures. You did a great job. Seeing these images always makes me want to go even more.

Did you know that your first picture of the red archway/hallway was used in the movie Memoirs of a Geisha?

^ thats a screenshot, pretty cool eh?

curious_jane 02-06-2007 03:10 PM

Love the pic Gwen! I thought the gate looked familiar, how long was it?

vulgarshudder 07-05-2007 01:37 AM

Actually...the divide between shrines and temples can be very blurred what with the intermixing of the religions...japanese dieties being given counterparts in buddhism. It's only been the past hundred years there's been a clear distinction made.

samokan 07-05-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 39409)
Wow Gwen, I love those pictures. You did a great job. Seeing these images always makes me want to go even more.

Did you know that your first picture of the red archway/hallway was used in the movie Memoirs of a Geisha?

^ thats a screenshot, pretty cool eh?

That is in Fushimi Inari Taisha south of Kyoto

This is my friends blog about it.
All About Kagz: November 2006

Actually its a whole mountain of orange gate
http://inari.jp/e_taishamp/index.html