JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MrDawkins (Offline)
New to JF

I want to move to japan, but im canadian. - 12-30-2010, 07:36 AM

I've been doing some research on japan colleges and universities. I really want to move to japan after im done high school. My future occupation involves japanese culture. I want to be a Mangaka, some of you may laugh at me. but w/e its my dream !

I stumbled apon a thread on this site, and people said its REALLY hard, and its like a zero percentage chance of getting accepted if your not from japan, and to make it even worst. IM BLACK . lmao....... So that just lowers the chance even more. heh.

I am a really talented artist, and self taught. I practice every day just so i can improve. I read plenty of mangas, and i love them. Id die to become a mangaka. I lied, but you know what i mean. Also i am willing to learn Japanese at ANY COST!

Will any japan college or universities accept me ? Is it really that hard ?

I am currently in grade 11. Once i graduate im coming to japan regardless !

Some of my work is here MrDawkins on deviantART . There isnt alot there, but thats some of my work.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-30-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDawkins View Post
I've been doing some research on japan colleges and universities. I really want to move to japan after im done high school. My future occupation involves japanese culture. I want to be a Mangaka, some of you may laugh at me. but w/e its my dream !

I stumbled apon a thread on this site, and people said its REALLY hard, and its like a zero percentage chance of getting accepted if your not from japan, and to make it even worst. IM BLACK . lmao....... So that just lowers the chance even more. heh.

I am a really talented artist, and self taught. I practice every day just so i can improve. I read plenty of mangas, and i love them. Id die to become a mangaka. I lied, but you know what i mean. Also i am willing to learn Japanese at ANY COST!

Will any japan college or universities accept me ? Is it really that hard ?

I am currently in grade 11. Once i graduate im coming to japan regardless !

Some of my work is here MrDawkins on deviantART . There isnt alot there, but thats some of my work.
The number of non-Japanese mangaka that have found success in Japan can be counted on on hand, even if a couple fingers are missing.

You don't need to be, and probably cannot afford to be, a full-time manga-ka and live in Japan. In this day and age, you can do this kind of work from your home, no matter where that is.

If you want to do an exchange in Japan I would talk to a college counselor at school. There are many programs available in English for international students. Obviously, if you don't speak any Japanese you are not going to get into Japanese programs taught in Japanese.

One thing I often say is Japan is not going anywhere, so don't rush to go to Japan as a college freshman, when it might be better as a junior, or after graduation as a year (or five) teaching English and learning Japanese.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-30-2010, 08:11 AM

Dude, you're not becoming a manga artist here.
Go to college, get a degree, and find out how to get a visa. If you can handle being a teacher, know that that's pretty much your only option and it's all you'll pretty much ever be able to do here until you speak Japanese.
Your artwork (which totally outclasses anything I could do) can't touch the artists who are already citizens and obviously speak Japanese.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography