LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
I recently took an interest in Asian Calligraphy and was just looking for anyone who practices this art and might have some suggestions for what kind of materials to get, where/how to start, etc. (Yes, I do know about the yong/nagai symbol (eternity))

So far, I have a Western italic calligraphy pen and a dozen felt brush pens, and I am thinking about just going for it and getting a real brush and all that good stuff. Should I?
hey,

First of all, please understand that western calligraphy and way of writing (書道) are two completely different and not related arts. There is nothing whatsoever that you can carry over from western calligraphy studies to sho, except perhaps patience and calm mind.

I am not sure if you only want to try it or start serious studies?
Also, it is important to find a really good teacher, that will lead you spiritually, not only technically. Eastern calligraphy is written with soul not a brush. Its studies include philosophy of orient, meditation, and of course poetry. Also, you would need to start learning at least Japanese or Chinese, preferably.

There is a whole world hidden behind black lines scattered on white paper. One needs to open his heart to understand it.

Last edited by ryuurui : 08-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-16-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I went ahead and got the most basic necessities of the Far Eastern Calligraphical Arts. I tell ya, a real brush is a lot more fun than a brush pen :P .

This is about as good as it gets so far ^_^;;;

There's a lot wrong with it, I know :P .

So, anyone else out there into calligraphy? Care to give me a few pointers?

Here's a question: are ink sticks good? I didn't see any of those at the Michael's I went to. I ended up getting some Sumi ink in a bottle.
If you cannot find a teacher, it will be hard to continue. You could buy a book, but it is not the same. Book doesn't speak, or feel.

You may look here, Joshua has posted a lot of good information for beginners.

Chinese Calligraphy Customized Scroll & Educational Resources 德藝書法網 (英文版首頁)

His calligraphy is very technical and correct, although it is Chinese one. Japanese calligraphy differs. But you need to start with basics, and first learn how to use the brush.

You could also refer to my videos on 永字八法, or in other words, 8 laws of kanji 永, which presents 8 basic strokes (out of 37) in printed style. You need to search around in my channel, there are all strokes explained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8rpQRCiumc

here is a link to very good video also explaining strokes.

YouTube - 楷書

As to the ink, 墨汁 (ready made ink) is not recommended. It teaches bad habits of haste and negligence. Preparing ink on the ink stone has philosophical meaning, that calms you down and leads you into a semi-meditative state. Best shortcut in calligraphy studies is to anticipate none.

Quote:
I'd say that I'm more interested in Japanese calligraphy.
Why would that be?