JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Eastern Calligraphy (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/10983-eastern-calligraphy.html)

Amnell 12-24-2007 03:54 AM

Eastern Calligraphy

I recently took an interest in Asian Calligraphy and was just looking for anyone who practices this art and might have some suggestions for what kind of materials to get, where/how to start, etc. (Yes, I do know about the yong/nagai symbol (eternity))

So far, I have a Western italic calligraphy pen and a dozen felt brush pens, and I am thinking about just going for it and getting a real brush and all that good stuff. Should I?

MMM 12-24-2007 04:06 AM

"Eastern Calligraphy" sounds like a funny term to me, as Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, etc. all are distinct from each other.

In my very limited experience I would say you get what you pay for, but at the same time there is no point in buying a 200 dollar brush and 2 dollar a sheet paper from the get-go.

I actually really like the water/slate method for practice. Totally ingenious. Use a brush ans water and practice on a blackboard like slate. You can see your work, but it disappears when the water evaporates after a few seconds. I first saw these in Japanese calligraphy classrooms.

As a non-native speaker/writer practice is going to be essential to make authentic-looking characters. The meaning of the characters is also as important as how they look.

Amnell 12-24-2007 06:20 AM

Meh, "Eastern" as oppose to "Western". Since I'm a n00b, I've never really spotted any difference between, say, Chinese and Japanese calligraphy--other than how they hold the brush, of course. If I had to specify one, though, I'd say that I'm more interested in Japanese calligraphy.

Since I don't exactly have $200, I wasn't planning on getting such a brush. Rather, is there any kind of a regular paintbrush that is more or less of the same functionality as a traditional calligraphy brush? Or, more specifically, what are the essential properties of a calligraphy brush, as opposed to a regular paintbrush (for a canvas piece, not for the side of your house). Just knowing what is needed in a cal. brush would make finding a cheap alternative easy, if indeed there is no such thing as a "cheap calligraphy brush".

And paper... for two dollars a sheet, they'd best be about four feet long! >_<
But, if it is the case that paper is also expensive, what makes a good alternative? I imagine heavy construction paper would be good because the ink wouldn't bleed through.... Mer, I know so little.

MMM 12-24-2007 06:38 AM

Again, I have very limited experience, but, the calligraphy brushes I used were all round and came to a point (as in the longest hair was in the center). The bristles were soft, long and natural (horse hair, maybe?) Sizes vary, but I used one designed to write on normal sized 8.5x11 paper. The best ink is that which comes in a small brick and you add water to make a small amount of ink. I am sure the brushes I used were inexpensive...probably 10 dollars or so in Japan...

I don't know about paper, but construction paper would run I think. We uses a very thin, almost waxy paper that, again, I am sure was inexpensive, as we did about 20 or 30 attempts in one shot.

Amnell 12-24-2007 08:40 AM

Looking around online, I'd guess you were using rice paper. From what I've seen online... usually goes for between $5-$15 for 100 sheets (USD).

They say that rice paper is very porous, which allows it to absorb a lot of the ink and reduces running. Seeing as it's made of rice, I'd imagine that it would feel pretty waxy to the touch :P .

Looks like brushes are generally of one of three varieties: soft hair, stiff hair, and combinations. They're all supposed to have their advantages/disadvantages, but it sounds like the combos are the best bet for beginners.

Japanese calligraphy supplies give you boundless freedom to create.

MMM 12-24-2007 08:57 AM

Rice paper...makes sense.

Best of luck on your project!

Amnell 12-25-2007 09:13 AM

Well, I went ahead and got the most basic necessities of the Far Eastern Calligraphical Arts. I tell ya, a real brush is a lot more fun than a brush pen :P .

This is about as good as it gets so far ^_^;;;

There's a lot wrong with it, I know :P .

So, anyone else out there into calligraphy? Care to give me a few pointers?

Here's a question: are ink sticks good? I didn't see any of those at the Michael's I went to. I ended up getting some Sumi ink in a bottle.

TalnSG 07-07-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 335397)
I actually really like the water/slate method for practice. Totally ingenious. Use a brush ans water and practice on a blackboard like slate. You can see your work, but it disappears when the water evaporates after a few seconds. I first saw these in Japanese calligraphy classrooms.

I remember seeing that too and its a great concept. Now that you mention it, i have several suitable brushes at home and I going to go get a cheap 1st grader's chalk board and stop practicing with pencil and paper (except in class).

Shiningmonkey 07-16-2008 09:30 PM

I found one of those slate thingys here: Japanese Gifts : Zen Board
Looks cool. I have a calligraphy set but I haven't had a chance to use it much.

filiadragongurl 07-17-2008 01:05 PM

A neighbor I had before I moved who was Japanese had this cool colored paper that was the same idea. You use water on it to practice, then it fades away. Except it was more fun than a blackboard because it was in all these fun colors! She brought it over from Japan, so I doubt you could find it in the US... I didn't see it in Japan either, though^_^; Then again, I wasn't really looking.