JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Akavir (Offline)
New to JF

Let's buy a Katana! - 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Hell everyone. In a weak or two I am going to buy a Katana, just because it is so Beautiful Who else is going to buy a Katana soon and who can give me some advise with choosing a Katana?

Herzlichen Dank!

Akavir is the dragon's land, the land fit for heroes
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-17-2008, 02:01 PM

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Use google, it's your friend dude.

AND since when a katana is a japanese game or videogame?

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mtnbkr01201 (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I live in Pittsfield, Mass. USA. And wish I lived in Ireland.
Send a message via Yahoo to mtnbkr01201
Wink 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM

I too am contemplating buying a Katana as I think they are one of the most beautiful of all the swords , however, what I don't want is stainless steel, mine has to be hand pounded of folded metal, and they are by far not inexpensive.
A real nice Katana can go for a grand +.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength, and the joy of living If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.
Tehcumseh, Indian Warrior

Last edited by mtnbkr01201 : 01-18-2008 at 10:53 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-17-2008, 10:01 PM

Ohhh I want a katana sooo bad!! Made by Hattori Hanzō! *.*

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

01-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka. If all you want is a decoration, go for it. If you want to buy a real Japanese sword, you have to do a lot of research and save up some money - they aren't cheap at all.

Awhile back I went to a trade show of sorts for Japanese sword collectors. There were people there who had swords worth several tens of thousands of dollars, all hand-folded and forged by blacksmiths in Japan. Pretty amazing stuff.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kmurry (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Kmurry
Talking 01-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka. If all you want is a decoration, go for it. If you want to buy a real Japanese sword, you have to do a lot of research and save up some money - they aren't cheap at all.

Awhile back I went to a trade show of sorts for Japanese sword collectors. There were people there who had swords worth several tens of thousands of dollars, all hand-folded and forged by blacksmiths in Japan. Pretty amazing stuff.
Wow, sounds great. I too think that the Katana is the most beautiful of all swords. Are there any websites for other sword collectors? And where can you start to research a swordmaker? I would not mind having a REAL katana for my collection, I have 3 wall hangers now that look nice but a real one would be the front of my collection.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
phishn37 (Offline)
Time to fly ~ !

01-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Wow, that's cool that you're getting one ~ ! I would buy one, if I had lots and lots of money to spend on something I didn't need, or if I had any vauge idea of how to use them or fight with them ~ !

You've got to run like an antelope, out of control!

My JapanForum Family!
Imotou : criminalpanda
Oniisan : IonFortuna
Oniisan: Tuhin
Otouto: MarkDuff
Oniisan: Hisuwashi
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Kmurry (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Kmurry
01-18-2008, 01:48 AM

Kendo is a good marshal art to learn about using the katana, I would like to take it, but here where I live there aren't any masters teaching it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-18-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurry View Post
Kendo is a good marshal art to learn about using the katana, I would like to take it, but here where I live there aren't any masters teaching it.
haha tulsa. yeah good luck finding a kendo instructor in ur area. wooo

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN