JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Let's buy a Katana! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/11698-lets-buy-katana.html)

Akavir 01-17-2008 01:46 PM

Let's buy a Katana!

Hell everyone. In a weak or two I am going to buy a Katana, just because it is so Beautiful:) Who else is going to buy a Katana soon and who can give me some advise with choosing a Katana?

Herzlichen Dank!:vsign:

jpdrag0n 01-17-2008 02:01 PM

...:rolleyes:

Thunda 01-17-2008 02:14 PM

Use google, it's your friend dude.

AND since when a katana is a japanese game or videogame? :rolleyes:

mtnbkr01201 01-17-2008 02:16 PM

I too am contemplating buying a Katana as I think they are one of the most beautiful of all the swords :rheart: , however, what I don't want is stainless steel, mine has to be hand pounded of folded metal, and they are by far not inexpensive.
A real nice Katana can go for a grand +.

Suki 01-17-2008 10:01 PM

Ohhh I want a katana sooo bad!! Made by Hattori Hanzō! *.*

Hatredcopter 01-17-2008 10:13 PM

Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka. If all you want is a decoration, go for it. If you want to buy a real Japanese sword, you have to do a lot of research and save up some money - they aren't cheap at all.

Awhile back I went to a trade show of sorts for Japanese sword collectors. There were people there who had swords worth several tens of thousands of dollars, all hand-folded and forged by blacksmiths in Japan. Pretty amazing stuff.

Kmurry 01-17-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 360250)
Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka. If all you want is a decoration, go for it. If you want to buy a real Japanese sword, you have to do a lot of research and save up some money - they aren't cheap at all.

Awhile back I went to a trade show of sorts for Japanese sword collectors. There were people there who had swords worth several tens of thousands of dollars, all hand-folded and forged by blacksmiths in Japan. Pretty amazing stuff.

Wow, sounds great. I too think that the Katana is the most beautiful of all swords. Are there any websites for other sword collectors? And where can you start to research a swordmaker? I would not mind having a REAL katana for my collection, I have 3 wall hangers now that look nice but a real one would be the front of my collection.

phishn37 01-17-2008 10:27 PM

Wow, that's cool that you're getting one ~ ! I would buy one, if I had lots and lots of money to spend on something I didn't need, or if I had any vauge idea of how to use them or fight with them ~ !

Kmurry 01-18-2008 01:48 AM

Kendo is a good marshal art to learn about using the katana, I would like to take it, but here where I live there aren't any masters teaching it.

jpdrag0n 01-18-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmurry (Post 360661)
Kendo is a good marshal art to learn about using the katana, I would like to take it, but here where I live there aren't any masters teaching it.

haha tulsa. yeah good luck finding a kendo instructor in ur area. wooo