JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Let's buy a Katana! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/11698-lets-buy-katana.html)

Akavir 01-17-2008 01:46 PM

Let's buy a Katana!

Hell everyone. In a weak or two I am going to buy a Katana, just because it is so Beautiful:) Who else is going to buy a Katana soon and who can give me some advise with choosing a Katana?

Herzlichen Dank!:vsign:

jpdrag0n 01-17-2008 02:01 PM

...:rolleyes:

Thunda 01-17-2008 02:14 PM

Use google, it's your friend dude.

AND since when a katana is a japanese game or videogame? :rolleyes:

mtnbkr01201 01-17-2008 02:16 PM

I too am contemplating buying a Katana as I think they are one of the most beautiful of all the swords :rheart: , however, what I don't want is stainless steel, mine has to be hand pounded of folded metal, and they are by far not inexpensive.
A real nice Katana can go for a grand +.

Suki 01-17-2008 10:01 PM

Ohhh I want a katana sooo bad!! Made by Hattori Hanzō! *.*

Hatredcopter 01-17-2008 10:13 PM

Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka. If all you want is a decoration, go for it. If you want to buy a real Japanese sword, you have to do a lot of research and save up some money - they aren't cheap at all.

Awhile back I went to a trade show of sorts for Japanese sword collectors. There were people there who had swords worth several tens of thousands of dollars, all hand-folded and forged by blacksmiths in Japan. Pretty amazing stuff.

Kmurry 01-17-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 360250)
Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka. If all you want is a decoration, go for it. If you want to buy a real Japanese sword, you have to do a lot of research and save up some money - they aren't cheap at all.

Awhile back I went to a trade show of sorts for Japanese sword collectors. There were people there who had swords worth several tens of thousands of dollars, all hand-folded and forged by blacksmiths in Japan. Pretty amazing stuff.

Wow, sounds great. I too think that the Katana is the most beautiful of all swords. Are there any websites for other sword collectors? And where can you start to research a swordmaker? I would not mind having a REAL katana for my collection, I have 3 wall hangers now that look nice but a real one would be the front of my collection.

phishn37 01-17-2008 10:27 PM

Wow, that's cool that you're getting one ~ ! I would buy one, if I had lots and lots of money to spend on something I didn't need, or if I had any vauge idea of how to use them or fight with them ~ !

Kmurry 01-18-2008 01:48 AM

Kendo is a good marshal art to learn about using the katana, I would like to take it, but here where I live there aren't any masters teaching it.

jpdrag0n 01-18-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmurry (Post 360661)
Kendo is a good marshal art to learn about using the katana, I would like to take it, but here where I live there aren't any masters teaching it.

haha tulsa. yeah good luck finding a kendo instructor in ur area. wooo

SakanaMidori 01-18-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akavir (Post 359816)
Hell everyone. In a weak or two I am going to buy a Katana, just because it is so Beautiful:) Who else is going to buy a Katana soon and who can give me some advise with choosing a Katana?

Like the phone?

ahaha! Just kidding.

I've no advice, I'm just telling a funny joke!

Persoanlly, I wouldn't care, but they are pretty. And if you're going just for looks, get the prettiest one!

Kmurry 01-18-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdrag0n (Post 361347)
haha tulsa. yeah good luck finding a kendo instructor in ur area. wooo

Well, it was just a thought. I keep my eyes open for a dojo. But where would I get in touch with other people that like swords like I do?

Ichigo2013 01-18-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

I is going to find one soon! But right now I'm buying a recipe book, bento box, and some food!

Hatredcopter 01-19-2008 03:56 AM

Just FYI, Kendo doesn't really teach you how to use a real sword. Kendo is fencing with bamboo swords, and the techniques and movements used in it are, for the most part, not applicable to that of real swordplay. I know this because I've been in kendo for several years (quit awhile back though because of the hours of the classes).

On the other hand, there are other martial arts, Kenjutsu, Shinkendo, and Iaido, all which have to do with using a real sword. Dojos for these martial arts are much more difficult to find in the US than a Kendo dojo, but they do exist - I've visited a few in the past just to see what they were like.

Also, Kendo is an ungodly expensive martial art. Hopefully you find a dojo which is cheap (run by a university or something like that), because just the equipment costs can be painful. A full set of BEGINNER'S armor runs around $300 minimum. A good shinai (bamboo sword) runs around $50. Equipment has to be replaced somewhat often, as they get worn out.

Lastly, Kendo is also one of the hardest martial arts I've ever been involved with. Just a few short rounds of sparring can really take the wind out of you until you learn to properly control breathing and such. It takes years and years to build up your speed and technique. The turnover rate in Kendo is pretty harsh - in the classes that I was in, only about 30-40% of the people there continued kendo after they bought their armor.

There are kendo resources on the internet dedicated to finding dojos, just use google and you'll see all sorts of stuff. Hope this information helps!

MarkDuff 01-19-2008 04:30 AM

Man katanas are awsome I just got one for my b-day.

Kmurry 01-20-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 362292)
Just FYI, Kendo doesn't really teach you how to use a real sword. Kendo is fencing with bamboo swords, and the techniques and movements used in it are, for the most part, not applicable to that of real swordplay. I know this because I've been in kendo for several years (quit awhile back though because of the hours of the classes).

On the other hand, there are other martial arts, Kenjutsu, Shinkendo, and Iaido, all which have to do with using a real sword. Dojos for these martial arts are much more difficult to find in the US than a Kendo dojo, but they do exist - I've visited a few in the past just to see what they were like.

Also, Kendo is an ungodly expensive martial art. Hopefully you find a dojo which is cheap (run by a university or something like that), because just the equipment costs can be painful. A full set of BEGINNER'S armor runs around $300 minimum. A good shinai (bamboo sword) runs around $50. Equipment has to be replaced somewhat often, as they get worn out.

Lastly, Kendo is also one of the hardest martial arts I've ever been involved with. Just a few short rounds of sparring can really take the wind out of you until you learn to properly control breathing and such. It takes years and years to build up your speed and technique. The turnover rate in Kendo is pretty harsh - in the classes that I was in, only about 30-40% of the people there continued kendo after they bought their armor.

There are kendo resources on the internet dedicated to finding dojos, just use google and you'll see all sorts of stuff. Hope this information helps!

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

KeithDas 01-20-2008 08:01 PM

Nice!

Kendo looks to be great fun...... mabey a little painful though.

Suki 01-21-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 360250)
Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka.

That is exactly what I want it for :D so Hanzo's will do it for me. Woooah Mark, post a pic of yours!! >.<

Sylar 01-21-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Like OMFG!? Isn't that really fucking expensive?

mtnbkr01201 01-21-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDuff (Post 362313)
Man katanas are awsome I just got one for my b-day.

Hi
If you ever get a chance, you should take a picture of your new Katana and show us, I'd like to see it. :D

Akavir 01-21-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunda (Post 359838)
Use google, it's your friend dude.

AND since when a katana is a japanese game or videogame? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. I couldn't find another section that fit with it. Is it really important then?

Yasushi 01-21-2008 10:34 PM

Oriental Swords

offcourse you can make it as expensive as you like...

Cyclamen 01-22-2008 10:00 AM

So you want a katana.. you could buy a cheap replica, a iaido sword or a real sword. Replicas are crap don't waste a couple of bucks for a crappy, chinese-made wallhanger. Real swords cost far too much and have some problems, so settle for a iaido sword.
They are well-made, require no special care and can be used in practice. Buy one from this website, Kendo, Iaido, Katana, Aikido and all other Budo Online Store - Tozando Online Shopping
You can get a nice sword for $300 or $500.

About the "problems" of real swords.. every real sword, after it's been drawn, has to be properly cleaned. It it isn't cleaned with a special powder, it will oxidate soon. What's more, real swords must be handled only by expert users, they're really dangerous, and since they're considered as weapons, in certain countries you have to get a permit before you get your sword.
I know two people who use real swords in iaido training. They paid their swords around $9000 and $5000.

Cyclamen 01-22-2008 10:21 AM

Tyrien 01-22-2008 03:30 PM

Swords stop being fun after a few weeks and you realize you've lost your money when they don't really do anything.

I spose sure if you have a nice display room for them but then you don't and just want it to have it because it's cool... chances are you'll feel some kind of regret from it's stagnant behavior.

I bought a friend of mine a display katana for christmas one year though.

TamOkosAn 01-23-2008 10:30 PM

im sorry

I dont know anything about it :cool:

so , i dont have some advices for u ,,,:o

I wish nice trip for u :vsign
:

KanameChidori 01-27-2008 10:08 PM

I love thise type of sword :rheart: it's too cool :eek: but i don't know nothing about the use XD sorry

heavenseven 01-31-2008 11:40 AM

Did they paint the sheath of WW2 katana's?

Hi everyone,:)

I have a question about katana's of WW2.
I just wonder, did they paint the sheath? And if they did, with what kind of paint did they paint it?

I would really really appreciate it if someone could tell me. To me, it's really important...

Thanks!!! :vsign: